New to this level of lighting..... Tips welcomed!!

Midorkian

So I'm trying to self-educate here to learn more about the art behind stage lighting. I've been involved the last ten years with DMX setups and different simple functionality settings for church events. I recently helped start a church with a four tower truss setup and triple screen displays in between the towers. We have 35 LED pars, 4 gobos (located at the top of each tower), 2 floor rotating spots, a chavute hazer 3d, and a partridge in a pear tree. We are also running everything through Luminaire off an iPad system. So what I'm really looking to learn are two main things; 1.) How to find the proper lighting balance and 2.) How to program using Luminair software.

Thanks in advance!!

So I'm trying to self-educate here to learn more about the art behind stage lighting. I've been involved the last ten years with DMX setups and different simple functionality settings for church events. I recently helped start a church with a four tower truss setup and triple screen displays in between the towers. We have 35 LED pars, 4 gobos (located at the top of each tower), 2 floor rotating spots, a chavute hazer 3d, and a partridge in a pear tree. We are also running everything through Luminaire off an iPad system. So what I'm really looking to learn are two main things; 1.) How to find the proper lighting balance and 2.) How to program using Luminair software.

Thanks in advance!!
How to find the proper balance . . . I thought that is what the partridge is for. LOL

Balance is an art. You are in a church, with movers and haze so this is contemporary style which can be anywhere from subtle to total rock. First it is not just flash and trash, there is a balance. Use your colors to compliment stage designs and set the mood of the song. Even your beginning walk in look sets a mood.

Sweeping the movers up across the ceiling during a worship song can "lift" the audience up, you may even see people raise their hands as well. Some times a bit of strobe or FX with the drums may be appropriate. Bottom line is ever color, shadow, movement should have a reason why you did it. I may program something during a rehearsal but when Sunday morning service starts the whole mood was different so I have to either cut back or push it up. That's balance.

Where do you want everyone's attention focused, on the light show or on the vocals. I will usually make the lead vocal brighter, back ups next bright, and band slightly dimmer. Your eye will go to the brightest spot so help direct the audience where to look.

Finally, balance comes as an overall service. You may have 5 or 6 songs that were picked and placed in a specific order. These may build to a point as they lead into the message. Others may save the last song to go out on a blast. After a series of high energy songs I usually look for a rest point (yes even if it is an all out youth event) to help bring resolve to a moment. Like fading to a back light on a vocal who hums the last bar of music as the band fades out. That is the art of balance, finding those moments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back