Wireless New Wireless Mic Advice

Hey, Everyone

This is my first real post hear in the Sound section and i could really do with some help on this one...

Well hear goes...

Bit about my self first, I'm 15 and about to start College on a Preforming Arts: Technical Course and also in my spare time Me and a few mates have set up a Youth Theater Company along side Birmingham City Council. (www.fmtproductions.co.cc)

So hears my question, and I'm really desperate for an answer to this...

We its not really a question its more just asking your advice.
We have just been Granted £3000 to buy a set of 5 Low Profile Head Worn Mic's.
I've been looking around and hears what i have found;

Mics;
THE T.BONE EARMIC 500 - SENNHEISER - U.K. International Cyberstore

Paired With...

Pack's and Receiver;

SENNHEISER EW 172 G3 / E-BAND - U.K. International Cyberstore

What do you guys think of this choice and do you have any suggestions of any other options...

Thanks for your help in advance guys...

And i apologize for my Spelling And Grammar in advance...

Wireless: Sennheiser EW100 (you'll need an antenna splitter as well).

Mic: Countryman E6 or MM Audio - The Next Generation of Pro Audio Equipment

If you'll notice, his link had the EW172 G3, which is the cheapest one available in that series, at least from that site. Also, he will not need an antenna splitter, and considering the budget, it would be a bad choice to get one based on the more immediate equipment needs. Sure it's a not a good idea, but I've run 12 channels of EW100 in a rack just fine for 2 years without an antenna splitter.

The mic listed is a cheap knockoff mic, but at this price point, that's all you'll get. Though I'm not sure why the prices are so far off, as 600GBP is roughly 900USD, and I can get an EW1xxG3 and an E6 for 900USD here. I would help you more but I'm afraid I haven't the faintest clue where to find good prices in the UK.

I would be more that happy to buy from a US Online store that would ship to the UK...

Thanks
Ricky
From Google: 3000 British pounds = 4559.40 U.S. dollars
Therefore, $911.80/system including shipping

Here are links from Sweetwater for the EW172 G3 and Countryman E6.

That's 900USD, but without shipping, which means it'd be pushing the budget a little bit.

Substitute an AT Microset for the E6, and that's 830USD, which should fit with shipping. However, personally having used the AT Microset and the E6 mics, I would much prefer the E6, and if your budget can stretch, I would recommend it. If comfort is a higher priority than sound quality, the AT is more comfortable to wear than the E6 IMHO, obviously YMMV on this.

As far as shipping goes, I know Sweetwater ships internationally, but you may have to call them to double-check if these items are available for international shipping. Or have a buddy in the US who will buy them and ship them for you.

Last edited:
Hey, Ricky. Would you mind changing your font from white to a different color? I'm sure I'm not the only one using the standard blue and white color scheme. I'd love to be able to read your posts. Thanks!

Why not go Audio Technica all the way?

The ATW 3000 series offers fidelity and features with a basic Unipak and Receiver Mapped under five hundred bucks. Your choice of mic wouldn't be limited.

My go to systems for shows and rentals are AT's 3000 series. Our ten year old inventory works constantly and there has yet to be a malfunction to any transmitter or receiver. Mic maintenance is within acceptable industry standards on the good side (I'm currently responsible for more than a thousand systems.)

All of the broadcast wireless mics used this year at the winter olympics were Audio Technica, they're good enough for me.

Personally I wouldnt even go anywhere near buying radio mic's in the UK at the moment. Check out blue-room.org.uk and read some off the posts about radio mics. Basically they are changingg the frequencys that we are going to be able to use making most radio mics an expensive paperweight in 2012 I think... Just hire for the time being :))

I'm sorry I dont know more about it, I'm a lampie :p

James

Why not go Audio Technica all the way?

The ATW 3000 series offers fidelity and features with a basic Unipak and Receiver Mapped under five hundred bucks. Your choice of mic wouldn't be limited.

My go to systems for shows and rentals are AT's 3000 series. Our ten year old inventory works constantly and there has yet to be a malfunction to any transmitter or receiver. Mic maintenance is within acceptable industry standards on the good side (I'm currently responsible for more than a thousand systems.)

All of the broadcast wireless mics used this year at the winter olympics were Audio Technica, they're good enough for me.

*faint noises of myself throwing up*

I would be more that happy to buy from a US Online store that would ship to the UK...

Thanks
Ricky

Buy them from a reputable vendor in your country. For starters, they need to come set for the proper AC voltage and plug type. Secondly, they may need to have the proper government approval stickers for RF devices. And, they need to operate on legal channels which vary all over the world.

What's wrong with at?
since you asked... generally, poor quality wireless gear.
when you side-by-side test (similar equipment lines) of the most popular/available gear... AT/Sen/Shure/Lectro...etc... it basically follows that pattern for quality (and thus higher prices) down the line.

Glad you've had such great success with your AT wireless. However, being part of the Olympics doesn't necessarily mean they're the "best" out there. It probably means that either the sound co (PRG?) had a slew of them or AT is sponsoring the event.

*faint noises of myself throwing up*

I have used the 3000 series a bit and it seems to be a pretty decent wireless unit. I've never been a big fan of AT capsules (really haven't found a wired mic I enjoy using) so that's why I usually stick to Sennheiser and Shure (in that order).

Glad you've had such great success with your AT wireless. However, being part of the Olympics doesn't necessarily mean they're the "best" out there. It probably means that either the sound co (PRG?) had a slew of them or AT is sponsoring the event.

Agreed with all these guys here. I provided the US links for the Sennheiser stuff as a reference, I was hoping somebody across the pond could help this guy out by finding a dealer with good prices, instead of arguing whether or not AT is worth buying?

I love sennhiser and sure. At my school we have 12 sure wireless transmiters and one sennhiser. The sennhiser is amazing.

AT were used because AT are an Olympic partner. Please don't imply that means they were used because of their quality. UHF-R was used for the ceremonies...

A lot of AT hate here...

Audio Technica has been used in a ton of high profile broadcast events recently, including all over the Olympics (as mentioned) and at the Grammy's... The 4000 and 5000 series wireless are very high quality, very good sounding, and very expensive wireless mics, which is why you see them front and center on many major events.

I like the 3000 series quite a bit. They're less expensive than the EW100 G3's from Sennheiser, and Shure's only comparable product is the ULX-P, which will cost you nearly double as much per channel.

The standard 831 capsule isn't anything special to write home about, but you can buy the transmitter and receiver without it, save $100, and either buy a 899 or a Countryman B3 instead.

A lot of AT hate here...

I don't think anyone "hates" AT. Myself and Chris were merely bringing up the fact that just because they were used at the Olympics does not make them "the best." I was suspicious that AT was providing microphones for the publicity, and it looks like Chris confirmed that. Apparently it worked.

I said that I stay away from AT wireless simply because I haven't found a capsule that I like. I'm talking handheld here, I'm sure there are some fine lavs and headsets. I'd rather have an 835 or sm58 capsule (in that order) than some "no name" AT. The Sennheiser ew wireless just happens to be a great system to go with a great vocal mic.

Actually, now that I think about it, there is one AT capsule I liked: AE5400. But now we're in the price range of the KMS105 (or Sennheiser KK105 wireless capsule), and again, I'll take the Neumann.

I don't specifically dislike AT.

I may have been wrong in my statement, they don't appear to be an official Olympic partner, but there are, as always, a variety of factors at play.

The Sydney Opera House use a lot of Sennheiser and Neumann. Is that because it's necessarily the best? No, they have a sponsorship err partnership deal with them. That's not to say that Sennheiser and Neumann don't make great kit, but to drive home that a surface level appraisal of what's going on doesn't reveal many of the underlying factors at play.

In the main, arts organisations are poor, so if someone if willing to give them cheap gear they will take it ;)

If we look at the Olympics, there was a lot of Panasonic gear used, including things like PAs that Panasonic are not known for. Panasonic are an Olympic partner, have been for years, and part of that involves contractual obligations for organising committees to use the products of Olympic partners wherever possible. Gary Hardesty tells the story of having designed speakers with Panasonic for Olympic usage in relation to his work on Beijing. Similarly, Christie weren't permitted to press release about their projectors being used very heavily in the Vancouver ceremonies because they aren't a partner and Panasonic make projectors.

Maybe the gear was used because it's good. Maybe NBC got a good deal or has it in stock. Maybe it had to do with the availability of gear to fit with the allocations of spectrum - something which you may not consider but for something like the Olympics is a HUGE consideration...

Ultimately if you have a product that performs the task it is designed to do, then any other debate is moot. People will always have their own preferences, much of which will be guided by what they have experienced, what they are a dealer for, what they get a good price on, yada yada yada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back