Nomad Remote Control with Element

Eric K

So the other day, I was playing around with the nomad software for my ETC element console. I flipped in and out of mirror mode a couple of times, and at some point, I was able to control the console's functions with the nomad software on my laptop. This is a feature that would be really great for me, because I have a touchscreen laptop. If I can get it working, I could use things such as the virtual moving light controls with my laptop touchscreen instead of the far inferior elo touchscreen that we have connected to the console.

Does anyone know exactly how to setup nomad into what is effectively RFR mode? I can't seem to replicate it, but I am sure that it happened.

I don't know what to say, but if definitely happened. For a brief period of time, my computer was able to control all the console functions that I tested. I was able to turn on and off channels, use keys such as blackout, as well as hit go and back to move between cues. It may just be a bug, but the functionality does exist.

Well, that's not entirely true. If Nomad (with a dongle) is connected as a backup, it can act upon the system. Just be aware that if you connect a Nomad as a backup, the system capacity will be dropped to the lowest output count between the desk and the dongle. This change to Element was made when 2.2 was released.
Thanks!
Anne

Was this nomad with the dongle? Or just the nomad client/offline software
It was just the client software: no dongle
Well, that's not entirely true. If Nomad (with a dongle) is connected as a backup, it can act upon the system. Just be aware that if you connect a Nomad as a backup, the system capacity will be dropped to the lowest output count between the desk and the dongle. This change to Element was made when 2.2 was released.
Thanks!
Anne
That is interesting, but even if the nomad connected as a backup, the console should not have been able to output DMX because the system capacity would be zero: the capacity of the nomad client software with no dongle.

I'll give ETC a call today and see what they have to say.

It was just the client software: no dongle

That is interesting, but even if the nomad connected as a backup, the console should not have been able to output DMX because the system capacity would be zero: the capacity of the nomad client software with no dongle.

I'll give ETC a call today and see what they have to say.

Thanks... again, not quite... The lowest capacity Nomad dongle is 256 outputs. Thanks for making the call to tech serve.

Anne

Thanks!
Anne

Anne,

This is great news! Though, I couldn't find where it was noted. I was expecting to find it in the 2.2 update notes, since it happened with 2.2, but don't remember seeing it there. Are there release notes that I'm forgetting to read about?

Anne,

This is great news! Though, I couldn't find where it was noted. I was expecting to find it in the 2.2 update notes, since it happened with 2.2, but don't remember seeing it there. Are there release notes that I'm forgetting to read about?
It was captured in the "addressed SCR section" --- but not specifically called out in the "why we did this part" of the release note. It should have been. We updated the Element product pages, data sheets and such to reflect the change (understanding, of course, that if you already have a system, that isn't information you are likely to look at much). I think it was included in the 2.2 email blast --- but since that was several months ago, I can't be absolutely certain of that. (If you have downloaded software in the past, and you provided a valid email address, you should receive an email when new software is released.) But I can see that it was easy to miss. Sorry about that.

Nomad or Puck can act as a primary or backup combined with an Element desk. It is still a single user environment, but provides a second programming location when integrated into an Element system in this manner. Without the dongle, Nomad (formerly called Client/Offline software) connects in mirror mode only. If you have what was called an Eos client dongle, that now operates as a Nomad 256.

Hope that helps!!
Thanks!!
Anne

SO i have been trying to get my element board to work with even just mirroring. How are you guys/gals making this work? Im working with a macbook with the nomad software, is there some sort of configuration I'm not getting here or am i using a wrong cable or something. I tried setting up the network with a cat5 from my board into my computer. i know that on some boards there is two different cat5 connection my board only has one and on top of that i can't get my computer to recognize my board. I have tried looking up how to get mirror mode working unfortunately i have been unsecsessfull in finding a video or a set of instructions that aid me in this process. What should i be doing what is the proper configuration of my software and computer? Im using the latest nomad for mac and the element board is the 40 fader 250 channel model.

Thanks, Fumb3l

I tried setting up the network with a cat5 from my board into my computer.

Thanks, Fumb3l

You need either what is known as a Cat5 cross-over cable, which allows device to device connections, OR the proper way to do this is with a basic Ethernet switch in between the desk and computer. Using a switch allows any standard Cat5 cables to be used. A basic Belkin switch runs about $15-$20.

I will also set my PC network card to have a defined IP of 10.101.100.101 and a subnet of 255.255.0.0

I then will have the PC running and will re-boot the console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back