Control/Dimming Now, what would you use something like this for?

Okay, so now we know what it is. Now let's get creative!:twisted:

:think:I can see this being used as a control panel prop or set piece in a show that requires a mad scientist's laboratory.

:stumped:Unfortunately, that's as creative as I can get at the moment.

:excitable:Let's see what y'all come up with!

Really anything that needs people fiddling with controls... even in a space ship or something.

At the very least, that's a lot of faders, buttons, a couple of connectors, and who knows what other electronic components inside that would make a nice addition to any spare-parts drawer.
Or if you're electrically inclined, you could program a microcontroller to connect to the thing and output DMX. I'd keep it next to our dimmers, who knows when we might want to turn some lights on without going to the booth.

That would make a very nice GrandMA wing – 120 executor faders!
You'll never have to use separate pages again!

And it's 10 times as many faders for less than a tenth of the price of a MA one.

Very tempting, but it doesn't look like they'll ship to Australia, and we're not confident it will output DMX

As Derek reminded us, it does output DMX as a stand alone device. There's a switch on the top that switches from fader wing to stand alone mode. It's probably going to completely ignore your GrandMA though. It connects to the console with an XLR7.

Last edited:
I have this problem where I see something cool looking on eBay, and try to invent a use for it. I have nothing on this one.

Hey I know! Non-theatre high school students LOVE to play with buttons and sliders on the wall. (This is ONE thing I remember from high school). So, if you have this problem in your school, buy this unit and mount it on the wall backstage. It will serve as a great decoy, and redirect interest from the real architectural panel ;).

That, or just mount it on the wall in the booth just to see the look of horror on someone's face when you tell them "and this is the light board you will be using..."

It is a sub- wing for an EDI Omega II, I believe it will connect direct to a mark VII dimmer rack as a analog 0-10v as a 1to1 but it will require a power supply if used stand alone.

I have an Omega II and sub wing sitting in my storage room I replaced it with an ION board.

Any interest in selling?

The disk drive will not write, I swapped it out and still no success. I was holding onto it in case I needed it to do anything with the stage panel or dimmer. But I am pretty sure I don't need it. I think Alan Child at Welcome to the Frontpage might be able to repair it or tell us how.

I have the Omega II, Sub wing and 30/60 supports, keyboard, Hand held remote, Manual, dust cover. (Maybe the power supply for the sub wing) I am not sure what it is worth but send me an offer at [email protected]

Last edited:
That was one sexy console in 1996! I'm amazed that you still have the original keyboard. Thanks for the memories.:)

Way back in college - like 92' or before, I remember in already having learned the two scene preset board, having to learn memory light boards. The school gave us a slaved two scene pre-set light board which would allow us to design with it, and save to disc what the computer was now seeing in levels. Not a bad way to learn. Was easier to dial up or down a circuit than at this point fingure up or down that circuit on a computer - once found.

Purpose or use, perhaps training in adjusting a circuit and many of them manually first, than saving the look on computer. Origional purpose... before the computer light board and I will have killed for a larger than 24 scene with "indipendant mode" and switch panel in switching between circuits for such a light board back in the day.

Get enough dimmers for such a thing, and while you cannot use a pencil to control at that point, all lights in use are cross faded. That's what it was for perhaps and even useful even today. Modern use, to learn from. Or in say use so those adjusting the lights, don't need to learn the light board currently modern in use so as to use - a fader is easy to figure out, modern light boards not so much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back