Control/Dimming Now, what would you use something like this for?

Les

So, currently on the eBay auction block is this EDI control panel. According to the seller, it has 120 faders and a DMX port on top. I know EDI built some nice 2-scene and memory boards, so what would be the use of a product such as this?

proxy.php

If it works, I'd guess it's worth the $30 they are wanting, but that's gotta be a headache to run a show off of! :)

>Still has all its faders. That has to be some kind of record! Maybe you would run your DMX through this in the dimmer room, and manually control the maximum level of all your dimmers?

Edit: It looks like fader/cap 24 is missing. It's garbage :twisted:

Last edited:
only thing i could think of this not being a complete pain to use, since there is no scene or master, would be architectural uses. are we sure this isn't some hybridesque patch panely type dohey?

It could be used in combination some form of playback device for architectural or time code based purposes. Could also be a custom fab job.

I have this problem where I see something cool looking on eBay, and try to invent a use for it. I have nothing on this one.

Hey I know! Non-theatre high school students LOVE to play with buttons and sliders on the wall. (This is ONE thing I remember from high school). So, if you have this problem in your school, buy this unit and mount it on the wall backstage. It will serve as a great decoy, and redirect interest from the real architectural panel ;).

That, or just mount it on the wall in the booth just to see the look of horror on someone's face when you tell them "and this is the light board you will be using..."

I have this problem where I see something cool looking on eBay, and try to invent a use for it. I have nothing on this one.

Hey I know! Non-theatre high school students LOVE to play with buttons and sliders on the wall. (This is ONE thing I remember from high school). So, if you have this problem in your school, buy this unit and mount it on the wall backstage. It will serve as a great decoy, and redirect interest from the real architectural panel ;).

That, or just mount it on the wall in the booth just to see the look of horror on someone's face when you tell them "and this is the light board you will be using..."

Two words: GrandMA sidecar.

Two words: GrandMA sidecar.
I was thinking similarly. I'm guessing it's an expansion wing for some EDI console, probably to compete with ETC's Insight 72 or 108. I bet it does not output DMX, but uses the XLR5 cable to communicate with the console, ala HogII.

Les, now that we're curious, ask your new-found ex-EDI buddy and let us know.

From the Tex-supplied manual, page 9:
The Omega 2 Console supports an independent panel of 120
manual sliders. Each slider is equipped with a tricolor LED to
indicate the channel status and a Bump Button for direct output.
The sliders allow direct 'hands on' control of 120 control channels
for level setting or overriding an established level. The sliders can
also offer direct dimmer output control for stand-alone or emergency
operation
by positioning the Output Mode Selection Switch (see #7
below) at the top of the independent panel.
So the wing can output DMX, but for standalone operation, the submaster panel must first be programmed by attaching to the console via a 7pin XLR cable.

Definitely EDI's answer to ETC's Insight. Too bad the auction item doesn't include the 30°/60° stand, which to me is the most interesting part. Go for it Les (and nobody else bid against him, as Les has "dibbs";)); you never know when you'll find a console, without a wing, for sale.

If it can be set up to output straight DMX, it would be a handy thing to have stage side to help diagnose rack problems.

If it can be set up to output straight DMX, it would be a handy thing to have stage side to help diagnose rack problems.

Or a form of RFU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay, so now we know what it is. Now let's get creative!:twisted:

:think:I can see this being used as a control panel prop or set piece in a show that requires a mad scientist's laboratory.

:stumped:Unfortunately, that's as creative as I can get at the moment.

:excitable:Let's see what y'all come up with!

:excitable:Let's see what y'all come up with!

let's Use smileys for every line of text! :rolleyes:

:think::think:

:excitable: We can have that, and when people ask "do you know what all these buttons/knobs do?" you can reply with "Ie got this one down pretty well, but this one (while pulling out that thing) is still confusing me!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought that was the climate control panel for each seat; for the [-]whinging[/-] discerning patron...

From the Tex-supplied manual, page 9:

So the wing can output DMX, but for standalone operation, the submaster panel must first be programmed by attaching to the console via a 7pin XLR cable.

Definitely EDI's answer to ETC's Insight. Too bad the auction item doesn't include the 30°/60° stand, which to me is the most interesting part. Go for it Les (and nobody else bid against him, as Les has "dibbs";)); you never know when you'll find a console, without a wing, for sale.
Thanks Derek. I had forgotten that function. Now that my memory has been jogged, I remember using the wing in stand alone mode in the Little Theatre when the NSI board was on the fritz.
I really liked the way that board functioned, but I don't think they made very many and I got one of the first. Tracy was great and tried very hard to offer support but the board died within five years and was replaced with a Horizon system (which I also liked because of the "hackability" of the package).

Well I certainly don't feel like having to type in 42@FL* promptly followed by 42OFF if someone is getting out of line and has one of these on. Just find their button if they need a quick shock or use the slider carefully for a continuous reminder.

you never know when you'll find a console, without a wing, for sale.

As much as I'd love to, I need to save money. :/

Here's the link if anybody's interested:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

How ironic, derek... If I'm not mistaken, the other part is: Electronics Diversified Omega2 Lighting Control Fader | eBay

If I wasn't in Canada, and the horrific shipping wasn't almost the same again, I might consider picking up both. Would make a nice donation to a few community theatres I know that are still running two scene preset's from who-knows-when.

Good luck to anyone interested!

Last edited:
I want!

Too bad I decided to put 90% of my last paycheck in to my savings account yesterday. That's a nice looking board!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back