NSI 5600

Sasquatch

I've got an NSI DDS 5600 dimmer pack that powers on but gets nothing to the outlets. None of the channel indicator lights come on or the Microplex (green light) when plugged into the light board. All fuses checked good and have power to the coil and back out just not to the outlets. Any ideas? Is there some kind of reset? Dipswitches all set 0. Thanks for any help.

Cable good. Board is an NSI 7024. No DMX. It's something internal in the pack. Just wondering if anyone has experience with fixing these and could point me in the right direction. If not, anyone know of a good repair center? Thanks.

if your dipswitches are all set to zero, the pack (as far as i know) doesnt have an "address" try turning on the 1st dipswitch and that should give the pack the starting channel of "1" and continues to however many channels (outputs) you have. so then on your console it is channel (fader) one and so on...
hope this helps...

How are you feeding DMX if you don't have the option installed? What part of the world are you in? Can't suggest a repair center without knowing where you are.

If there is an internal problem, it sounds like the control board that turns microplex signals into the specific control signal for each channel. Give Leviton an call or email, they are pretty quick at replying, even with older equipment.

Have you tried a different board with this dimmer? Have you tried the board with a different dimmer?

Have you tried what w3st0n21 suggested?

martinty is correct. I am already running 8 packs daisy chained with 50 can lights and all are working perfectly. Just having problems with this one pack. My setup is a stage for a rock band. Usually when powering up my other NSI packs the power led and the four channel leds will all light. Once you have plugged into the microplex then the green microplex led lights and the four channel led's go out and the boards sends the signal depending on what channel designation you have given the pack with the dipswitches. When powering this pack all I get is the red power led and nothing else. Even when connecting the microplex the green led does not light. I have checked the fuses and all are good. I've talked with NSI and they have suggested if I can't get it figured out to send it to them. That's why I'm here. Trying to see if there is something I can do to fix it before sending it out for repair. I am in Melbourne Florida. www.psychosasquatch.com

Last edited:
Here's a pic. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Rehearsal1.jpg
    Rehearsal1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 244
I know you said you metered the coil... did you look for and obvious damage while you were in there? Heat marks on the circuit board, loose connections, cold solder joints, any loose pieces...

If there's any socketed chips reseat those (power off of course!)... maybe go through and gently press on any areas that could have a loose solder joint (still powered off) then give it a try. If the later worked you have a component level problem and need either a bench tech or a soldering iron, multimeter and a LOT of patience.

Last edited:
I would say you have a processor problem

You probably already know this but the sequence in these is

When Power is applied the red light goes on
If there is no control signal present, then all of the yellow indicator lights go in and the outputs are set to full on
when Mpx is present then the green control signal light goes on and the outputs are determined by the mxp xontrol packet that has been sent

These unit supply power back to the control board which can be powered from the dimmer packs instead of their own power connection, but the higher end boards have their own power system

I have found that typically if it is a problem like a defective dimmer cirsut then it typically only takes out on e set of two outputs, I know you said you checked the fuses so they should be ok and if everything meters out ok then it usually is a logic/processor issue

NSI is good about fixing these on a flat rate basis and with pretty good turn around.

I'd send it back
Sharyn

Spoke with NSI again today and it is a flat $120.00 to fix. That includes return shipping. When looking at the pc board this particular dimmer is the version A series of the 5600. There is a relay that says 1992. The tech at NSI said they have been selling version C for ten years. He also said they would probably remove the board and replace with a new one. Although I want it fixed I hate to see the old pc board go the way of NSI's graveyard. Seems like something of this age should be kept alive for the ages. (LOL) Still debating if it is worth the repair or simply purchase another used one and have 2. One functioning and one for "parts". I have purchased several different NSI dimmer pack models used and this is the first one I ever had any problems with. I know some on here are not big fans but I've had success using them for my application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back