Oh Gel

Amiers

Renting to Corporate One Fixture at a Time.
Does anyone have an xls inventory list of all the gel Rosco and Lee. I’m tryjng to make gel kits and we have nothing documented. What you see came out of 6 kits. We still have 8 more to go through.

3B0F24FC-B4C3-4C39-B466-7DFA779720B8.jpeg

Before I start reinventing the wheel. Was wondering if someone knew of a list from the main sites or a personal spreadsheet.

I think this is what your looking for. I happened to have an old copy from an email. I don't think I ever added every color, just what we had in inventory. It should at least give you a nice head start though.

Attachments

• Gel Inventory.xls
    282.5 KB · Views: 135
Y’all are the best.

I had a file in the days of floppy disc, but seriously no idea of what is sent out or if even inventoried for current gel files. Every designer has what they want to add to obvious and not there.

Gel Files assume a standard PAR 64 size file folder so as to make "stock" gels fit into a folder. How many, what specific gels? I have no idea. I personally have 5x sizes of gel file containers with room for indexed gels, gobo holders & gel frames stocked and indexed with dividers between section. Work has the LEE sold wall of gell files, shelves for rolls, file cabinets etc. in like a 16'x24' room just for gel. And still I have no idea of what is in the file folders sent out - this beyond suppmental requests or rolls. Have doubt's the file folders are inventoried well after a show, but suspect they are supplemetal to full sheets known of sent out.

My personal recommendation, build sized gel file storage boxes. Say gel frame, 3" Fresnel or 3.5" Leko, 1x 4.5" PC or Fresnel, PAR 46 or S-4 Leko, 1x 6" Fresnel, Leko, PAR 56, the next 8" Leko or PAR 64.

First thing you want to do in pulling a gel is to find one as the correct or similar size to the fixture you are gelling. If you have them pre-sized, you can quicker fing the gel if you have it. If not, quick enough if well organized to find the next size in knowing if you have it to perhaps cut down, or roll of it. Not some file cabinet of gel - unless they are sized in more the size of the color than the color of the gel.

Gel Size in finding if you have it for a gel frame size, over all sorts of gel by part number but in crossed sizes to fit. How much RX26 do you have in stock for a spcific size of say 6" Fresnel is a good inventory starting platform in figuring it out. Gel can be hard if done responsibly in saving time and money.

Every nook and cranny it seems has gel. I’m finding it like you find glitter. I tried to tell the head of the dept that we need to cut gel down to the basics, L202 and R119/132 and force the Sales and PMs to request specific colors if they want some. Which they already do... I was shut down immediately because of the what if’s. In turn I said nobody’s throwing greens/reds/pinks/purples in a front wash of lekos why send it so they can just take it. Especially when we are renting a gel kit for only 15$ when there is atleast 200$ worth of gel just sitting there. It’s also a pain to QC a gel kit of 6 different colors and find the ones that are missing to replace.

The head kinda shrugged and said I don’t know what to tell ya.

So my stance on gels atm are a little bitter.

Side note: we did make a game out of determining which manufacturers gels were which solely by touch when they didn’t have anything written on them to tell us what they were.

We've had a similar discussion on keeping cut gel versus full sheets specified for a show. We never really came to a good conclusion, but the problem has largely solved itself. With the Par 64 rigs being retired, and color mixing fixtures becoming the standard on most shows we send out, the gel files rarely ever get sent on a show. We'll probably be cutting them down to basics this summer, they need a very good culling of mis labeled, damaged, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back