Old, Old lighting fixtures?

There is photos of them already on the website - what was theorized to be a Pratt 23 I believe. Perhaps someone can provide a link, I'm not going to have time to haul out a 16' ladder in the near future in order to take further photos.

Thanks, I'll look around for it.

save the time in re-posting. This is the model number printed on the manufacturer's plate at the rear of the fixture. Noted it while I was atop the pallet rack in grabbing my other PC fixture. This very specifically was what was listed on the name plate as the model number - I was surprised it was not a Pratt 23 or something very similar myself. Further photos... remind me towards fall when I'm less busy at work.

Attachments

• IM000112.JPG
    IM000112.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Saw an interesting variation of the Fresnel today at the summer camp. I believe they were made by either Century or Major, and like any standard Fresnel is all respects. However, instead of the usual stippling or dimples on the back on the lens, there was a crosshatched pattern of very thin lines. Not the way the back of an oval spread Fresnel is, but just thin raised crosshatched thin glass lines.

Up on the grid was also fun. I hadn't been up there before. Apparently, when the new distribution was put in in the the 80's, the old one was left in place. I've never seen so many 2-prong twist-lock outlets. Along with that were a few old receptacles for something I've only seen in the old Kliegl cataloges. The receptacles were covered by a small metal hinged door, and looked like they would take a square block plug with the contacts on the sides of the plug.

This is one of those interesting theaters where the Century Radials hang next to Shakespeares and S4 Pars hang near A-lamp striplights.

have what I believe is the plug type you describe hanging on my wall of shame. That and the others. Used both types described over the years safely but at risk also in touching by accident what would be bad to touch.

Avoid such gear and treat it as live as it very well could be. Take a photo than close it up and don't touch it.

As for old gear... it's part of the inventory, stuff to learn from both new and old and should if at all possible be the case. Consider such gear paint brushes as per tools to make art with no matter what type of paint brush. Also, the more you learn from both era and style, the better more balanced your career. Having gear next to each other of various generations is a good thing I think.

I never mess around with stuff that could be live. What I don't know can hurt me.

As for old and new fixtures coexisting, I have no problem with it, for its llong been my philosophy in lighting to be able to use all types of brushes in order to paint with light.

Although our highschool just blew loads of money on a renovation of the lighting system, it seems that we will forever be stuck with the old style twist lock connectors. We also have some 30+ year old 360Qs (brown paint) which are getting close to retirement if the school does not fund a refurb. We also still have about 3 or 4 working Altman 65 fresnels (incandescent type reflector insides) that are also brown bodied and close to 30 years old. Otherwise everything else in stock is Source Four.

Uhm....hate to burst a bubble but twist lock isn't quite "old style." Its more a matter of preference. You'll run into a lot of theatres out there that have both stage pin and twist lock. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Hell I've worked a tour or two that was all twist lock.

While old 360Q's that haven't been well taken care of are a pain they are still a good light to have around...as are the 6" altman frenels you have. though I'm curious what you mean by incandescent type reflector....as incandescent usually refers to a type of lamp not reflector.

My highschool's main inventory consisted mainly of brown 360Q's and brown 65Q's. I've used them on several shows and am quite fond of em. The 65Q might not be a Selecon, but its small size vs. light output makes it great for small spaces or low budgets.

There are different types of twistlock than the one that has become standard. One example are the old, 2 prong, ungrounded twistlocks I recently came across. There are also other older twist lock prongs that were locking pin out instead of pin in.

My highschool's main inventory consisted mainly of brown 360Q's and brown 65Q's. I've used them on several shows and am quite fond of em. The 65Q might not be a Selecon, but its small size vs. light output makes it great for small spaces or low budgets.
There are different types of twistlock than the one that has become standard. One example are the old, 2 prong, ungrounded twistlocks I recently came across. There are also other older twist lock prongs that were locking pin out instead of pin in.

Fair enough....I've gotten a little oversensitive to people calling twist lock old...

That being said the twist lock prongs that lock out instead of in are somewhat common in household/commercial appliances.

The theatre I'm working at this summer as a ton of old altman 360Q's from the 70's, the nice bronze-ish bodies and all. I also saw 2 kliegel 3.5's (don't know if that's what they actually were). Gotta say i love the asbestos wire insulation though! :)

Ok, so we were cleaning and reorganizing lighting equipment, work spaces and storage spaces and we stumbled on some interesting old stuff, including some fixtures.

First, a working Electro-Controls Parellipsphere. It is a zoom fixture, and, though it may be hard to tell in my photos, it really looks the grandfather of the source four zoom.
IMAGE_00042.jpgIMAGE_00043.jpg

Next on the list is a unit labeled 4x7. I have never seen such a unit before. It has a screw base lamp base, and you can see the reflector configuration in the second photo with the lamp housing open. Kind of interesting, if you know what it is, I would love to know.
IMAGE_00044.jpgIMAGE_00045.jpg

And lastly, just a fun one, the Stroboscope.
IMAGE_00046.jpg

Enjoy.

Ice wolf, what you have there in the 4x7 looks to me like a very early Strand Patt 23 knock off. If you look at the Strand Archives it may help. Strand UK built them from 1954 to I think 1982 and mad thousands of them. It looks a little different from the ones I have which makes me believe its a knock off. I'll try and take some pictures of one of mine and post them later today.

It reminds me too of a Strand, but not quite right to actually be a Strand.

way cool photos. Stuff I have never seen before. Fascinating, on the perspective Strand/Pratt knockoff, where does the lamp fit into this picture?

Them's all fixtures to be proud of and take care of really well. Need any help in lamps and details of how to or what, let us know. Sort of a cancils I'm hoping, the concept that old fixtures are trash and it must be all modern, instead it's more like classic cars. Not always useful for a commute to work in the snow, but great to take for a spin on a sunny day during the weekend. This much less like with stick shift, once you learn it - even if sort of obsolete, you learn it forever even if out of practice with it.

Fair enough....I've gotten a little oversensitive to people calling twist lock old...
That being said the twist lock prongs that lock out instead of in are somewhat common in household/commercial appliances.

Well! Come on, it could be "old". If it was the "old style" (What was that? Nub out?) So ha!

(Wasn't the whole arcing if not twisted a big problem? Or do I have my lighting trivia wrong?)

Well! Come on, it could be "old". If it was the "old style" (What was that? Nub out?) So ha!
(Wasn't the whole arcing if not twisted a big problem? Or do I have my lighting trivia wrong?)

You run into the same arcing problem with stage pins that aren't pushed all the way together.

All plugs have their plusses and their minuses....stage pin is funny because they were built to pull apart if they were being tugged on (say by a scenery peice) yet at the same time thats how they start arcing half the time.

Yesterday I saw this absolutely ancient light. I think it was called a Vari-Lite VL3500Q Spot, does anyone even remember that light? I mean, it had, like, shutters, and wasn't even digital! C'mon, the High End Systems DL-2 was around in 2006, wasn't it? Get this, the guy told me it was controlled by something called DMX--I'm sure he was pulling my leg so I didn't fall for it. The only kewl thing about the light was that all its nuts and bolts were metric, even the Pozidrive screw heads. Must have weighed at least 42.6 Kilograms.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back