Onstage Grill "Flare-up"

Discussion in 'Scenery, Props, and Rigging' started by JC Bardzil, Oct 10, 2016.

1. JC Bardzil

JC Bardzil New Member

In our upcoming production of Tar Beach by Tammy Ryan, there is a moment in which a grill is supposed to flare up on stage (described as "a huge plume of fire").
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to do this w/o any pyro? I think that trying to mount a hazer or fogger in the grill will be too large and wont output fast enough to read as a "plume".
    Thoughts?

2. JohnD

JohnD Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Several things spring into mind.
    CO2 fire extinguisher
    One or more "Fog in a Can"
    I would also consider something like the Chauvet Geyser, with flashing red and amber leds for a flame effect to go with the smoke cloud.

3. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member

Theatre Consultant
    A CO2 fire extinguisher and some little LEDs "flashing" could do a decent job if the noise could be covered and some way to conceal it. Also consider a "puff" of something like flour or cornstarch - using a bladder or some air bag like device - and just step on it - a lot of air quickly - and lighting.

4. Doowop63

Doowop63 Active Member

Chauvet geyser p6 makes an awesome flame effect. Will fit nicely inside grill dmx controlled. Just used it for Jekyll and Hyde.

5. coldnorth57

coldnorth57 Active Member

or the new Chauvet Geyser P4 fits into a smaller space

6. ruinexplorer

ruinexplorer Sherpa CB Mods Premium Member Fight Leukemia

Projectionist
    I second smoke in a can. That was the only way our AHJ would allow it on a production I did in Phoenix. Same idea. light from inside of grill. we rigged a trigger so that we could preifill the grill just before opening the lid for a bigger effect.

7. kicknargel

kicknargel Well-Known Member

In middle school I made a video for a class project that involved filling a grill with tissue paper doused in lighter fluid and lighting it. I do NOT recommend this method. But it was fun.