Paintable scenic rope

ynot

Looking for a nice rope approximately 1" diameter that will take paint. We want to make it look like really heavy gauge wire so it should be a smooth style. Thanks for you help!

Last edited:
... We want to make it look like really heavy gauge wire so it should be a smooth style. Thanks for you help!
You mean like 4/0 Feeder? I'd just use black garden hose. Or look for flexible tubing in the desired color, as most is poly/vinyl. and difficult, though not impossible with the right primer, to paint.

Do you want rope or wire? What I'm trying to say is, first, what is it you are really trying to accomplish? You want it to look like wire. Why???? You want to paint it? What color? What does the item have "DO"?? Does it support weight or just hang there and "look like wire"???? How long is the span?? If it hangs with any weight on it, rope will not look like wire, it is not as stiff, it will flex, well, like rope, not stiff wire. Maybe what you want is, as mentioned above flexible water tube or hose.

What I'm trying to say is, first tell us what the finished product has to accomplish, what should it "seem to be", what does it do physically such as support an actor or 50 pounds of laundry or....! Then mention your possible solutions and ask for Ideas.

I'd love to help, but we're a little short on information as to what is the real goal or final product.

Michael's right--we'll be more help with more information.

I will mention that I used polypropylene rope to look like wire rope/cable in show (decorative only). I pushed all the rope into a bucket of steel blue paint then pulled it out a little at a time and used a rag to wipe off excess/spread the paint. You want the paint to be thick. When that dried I used a rag to apply metallic silver paint. It was a pain and wouldn't stand up to a lot of handling, but looked great for my purposes.

Years and years ago, I had to make a giant cable spool. I found some old manila line and a few cans of spray paint did the job. Of course, It wasn't bearing any load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back