PALETTE SOFTWARE 10.6.2 JUST RELEASED!!!

Wanted to let everyone know that we JUST released 10.6.2 yesterday.

Download here: Products | Strand Lighting - A Philips Group Brand

Hot List of Palette OS 10.6.2:
  • Cheat Sheets are now included
  • Tutorials are now included
  • Remote Video Follow is now available
  • Playbacks can now function as extra submasters
Check it out everyone. If you have a Palette, and need to update your console, and need a little advice on how to do it, please don't hesitate to ask me!
[email protected]

Yeah, I saw the email, is this all that's included in the updates, or will the Pallate users on here find that there's a lot more bundled in? And will you support an iPhone RFR?
Nick

And will you support an iPhone RFR?
Nick
They already did. (Though Mote is not official, it seems Strand has been adding the necessary interfaces to support it.) Additionally, with the open interface, our students were running the palette with an iTouch over a year ago...

Strand has gotten the clue that an open interface allows for lots of neat things to be done with the board.

If you've got one (a Palette, that is) what features are you looking for? Strand is very responsive to user feedback. If you don't have one, then I'm not sure why you are even commenting.

-Fred

Strand has gotten the clue that an open interface allows for lots of neat things to be done with the board.
There are some cool open source opportunities Strand/Horizon have provided with OpenPalette.org The Strand/Horizon software team has a very "linux-y" view of their program. As Fred said they are very interested in what users are experiencing and what additional features users want.

If you've got one (a Palette, that is) what features are you looking for? Strand is very responsive to user feedback. If you don't have one, then I'm not sure why you are even commenting.

Thanks Fred. There's been a lot of trash talk about Strand Palette consoles around here lately and like you I'm a little tired of it. Those of us who actually own one know they are a pretty sweet console. There is very little functionally you can do on an ETC console that you can't do on a Strand (and vice versa by the way). One of the major differences is that Strand gives you far more options than ETC when it comes to the control surface. There are seven consoles running the same software. You choose the control surface that best fit your needs and budget (prices run from under $4k to over $40k). ETC on the other hand went with three different levels of customizable consoles, each running similar but slightly different software. Both are interesting choices to consider with pros and cons. ETC said, we think it's time for the 2 scene preset console to go away and we are willing to risk some sales to back that up. Strand said... if you want one we'll make it for you with the same software so you can do both. A well informed customer should consider both approaches and decide what makes sense to their need's.

Strand is a major player in the industry and deserves more respect than some have been giving it here. ETC may be in the lead right now in overall sales but that does not mean that Strand somehow sucks or is in trouble. On the contrary, they are in a amazing vortex with a variety of merging technologies at their fingertips thanks to the deep pockets of Phillips. I look for Strand to become more and more of a threat to ETC in the coming years. Consider light fixtures. Go back to every thread on purchasing ERS fixtures around here. Over and over you'll read the same message, "Strand SL's are not very good, buy ETC Source Fours... unless you have a lot of money then step up to Selecons." In the last few months Phillips bought Selecon and the entire Strand ERS product line has been replaced with Selecon products. If Strand can drop the price on Selecon fixed lens fixtures down to compete with ETC... look out. OR consider this: Where is the future of lighting technology currently pointing? LED of course. Who own's the patent on just about everything LED? Color Kinetics another sister company to Strand.

People have criticized Strand in the past because of their customer service, while ETC is glorified as the best. Some say this is the single reason you should choose ETC over Strand. While I agree that ETC has extraordinary customer service, those who have followed my posts here will know that I am VERY happy with the way Strand has handled my problems. It is VERY clear to me that Strand has decided that they need to fix their poor customer service image. Like ETC has done for years, Strand now has a 24 hour tech support line. I've had many e-mails and phone calls with tech support answered quickly and directly. If you have a problem or a question the Strand-Dev.com forums are staffed by the writers of the software. Last year I needed a custom fixture profile created and got it back in less than 8 hours. I can't emphasize enough how happy I am at the way Strand has reacted to get me what I need quickly when I've needed support. But you have to actually OWN one, and contact them to take advantage of what they will do, in order to know these things.

I want to be clear that ETC makes excellent consoles and is the more popular product in the market right now. I'm not at all saying that they are not excellent products However, some people get lost in fan clubs instead of considering the real facts... P.C. vs Mac anyone? Anyone who wants to make an informed decision needs to consider all the options for themselves. Maybe a Strand console will make better sense for you to buy and maybe an ETC will. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to like and buy one console over another. However, hearsay based trash talking and innuendo is immature and unprofessional.

Don't get angry Gaff, I like Strands.....
I have little experience with the new ones, but the 300/500 series I love and use on a regular basis. They are all hanging in there a lot more than older ETC consoles. And on the 300, the buttons light up! (You would love it here in Aus Gaff, so many Strands! There are 4 Ions and 2 EOSs in the state, its Strand heaven. Plus LSC.)

I love the Open Palette, the CueTip FS is something I sooo want for my next show, and I was aware of the Open Palette HTML RFR thing, but it is unnoficial, and it isn't a shining example of what Strand can do, nor does it have buttons that light up.

Just out of curiosity, how often do updates like this come along? And will you ever give the Strand 300/500 2.8.whatever one last update?

Nick

People have criticized Strand in the past because of their customer service, while ETC is glorified as the best. Some say this is the single reason you should choose ETC over Strand. While I agree that ETC has extraordinary customer service, those who have followed my posts here will know that I am VERY happy with the way Strand has handled my problems. It is VERY clear to me that Strand has decided that they need to fix their poor customer service image. Like ETC has done for years, Strand now has a 24 hour tech support line. I've had many e-mails and phone calls with tech support answered quickly and directly. If you have a problem or a question the Strand-Dev.com forums are staffed by the writers of the software. Last year I needed a custom fixture profile created and got it back in less than 8 hours. I can't emphasize enough how happy I am at the way Strand has reacted to get me what I need quickly when I've needed support. But you have to actually OWN one, and contact them to take advantage of what they will do, in order to know these things.

The larger problem is that Strand has a long, long, long history of poor customer service that they have to overcome, while ETC has been providing great customer service since their inception. I, for one, am glad that Strand is starting to come back. They have always had a good product, just never the customer support to back it up. If they keep it up, it can be nothing but good for the industry as a whole.

Can you elaborate a little more on how to run the palette with a iTouch?
Our students originally hacked together a quick web interface to do specific things that they needed at the time. (The Palettes have a webserver , through which you can run scripts to drive the board.)

Take a look at mote, which is available at strand-dev.com • View topic - Iphone webapp remote focus unit - mote 0.6 (full) update
Read through the thread, there is a newer verson posted part way through.

-Fred

I grew up on the Palette when it was just the "Palette" and the size of a piano. I've been a fan of the 500 series too. I have one question about the original post that fascinated me. What is remote video follow?

I presume it is RVI, Remote Video Interface, allows designers to see the screens showing channel status, current cue, and other stuff, from another screen hooked into a computer/special piece of hardware with a screen. See this post, RVI Setup.
At least I think that's what it is....
Nick

I don't know what it is, but the Palette software could already do RVI. Unless they just came up with a new name for an old feature, this might do something else.

We'll have to wait untill tomorrow to know.

R

:)
The larger problem is that Strand has a long, long, long history of poor customer service that they have to overcome, while ETC has been providing great customer service since their inception. I, for one, am glad that Strand is starting to come back. They have always had a good product, just never the customer support to back it up. If they keep it up, it can be nothing but good for the industry as a whole.

I assure you that the customer support issue is changing in a big way. We are really committed to making sure all of you are taken care of in any way we can. Our tech support team is, and will be available to help you out 24/7. If you go on our website, you will see all of our names, and our cell numbers. If you need a question answered, you can call our cells 24/7, and we will either answer, or call you right back....depends on the weeee ours of the night:).

We really are dedicated to helping everyone that has ANY issues with their Strand/Selecon systems. So always feel free to contact any of us:
Support/Field Service Contacts | Strand Lighting - A Philips Group Brand

http://www.strandlighting.com/

I grew up on the Palette when it was just the "Palette" and the size of a piano. I've been a fan of the 500 series too. I have one question about the original post that fascinated me. What is remote video follow?

Remote Video allows a designer to go into PATCH or BLIND (by themselves) to look around.
Before, if the operator went into BLIND, the designer could not see that.

With Remote Follow, the designer can see exactly what the programmer/op see, as well as the command line.

Hope that answers some questions.

Remote Video allows a designer to go into PATCH or BLIND (by themselves) to look around.
Before, if the operator went into BLIND, the designer could not see that.

With Remote Follow, the designer can see exactly what the programmer/op see, as well as the command line.
I believe this is the same as what another manufacturer calls "Mirror Mode"? (And is how the original Remote Video displays worked--a video output identical to the operator's, usually sent down an RG59 line.)

I know this is late but hey I have been lost for a few months - sorry

I have used strand since 1979 with Vincent Lighting I have gone through 3 boards and the last two are still going strong. The LBX and the Palette are going strong we have also upgraded to the cd80 racks with dual dimmers. Since that time I have nothing but good to say about Vincent Lighting.

Over these past years any problems that I have had they have been right there. I have been in production and had the old 600series dimmers to go out and I would call and they would say come up bring the bad one and we will let you use one till yours is ready. In the cd80 rack I had module to go out and I called Friday evening 15 till 5 and explained I had a show Saturday night and my rack was out she then asked if I new how to change the board, I said yes and she said can you meet me half way between Gallipolis to Cincinnati, just tell me where and time and the show when on.

I have used a lot of boards over the years and I have not found a board that could not fulfill the job it was placed in. My main opinion is if it works and thats all they can afford, it's the greatest board out there and a good tech will make it work and thank them for providing good equipment to work with and there great hospitality.

Thats only if your good and a professional.

Case in point I was touring in 87 and I had sent out all the tech info for the show including cue sheets. When we arrived and started load in I asked where the lighting control was, he said to the left and up the ladder, not a great spot to work from but hey its all good. As I walked on stage I saw all kind of lights of different lengths, all black and weirdest shapes I have ever seen. I ask what kind of lights they had and he said he made them out of coffee cans (lolol) ok, I tried not to crack up and I asked how they worked. This man had more time than Orson Wells because he figured out the focal length of each light braised the cans together and wired them then went to radio shack and bought a bunch of dimmers. He made a sets of lights for each scene and connected then to a dimmers. He focused and gelled them. He had taken our measurements from the plot and marked the floor, then figured out the incident angles and throw distances to make the lights. It worked like a 80,000 dollar system I learned right there no matter who or what anyone can always teach you a few things.

POINT to this drawn out post is (If you are truly claiming to be a professional then what ever is out there learn to run it and thank them for the opportunity to work with it) (mac, pc, hog, etc, strand and radio shack)

does anyone know of a visualizer that will work with the palette

also does anyone know of any training videos for the strand cue tip

Any standard Vis product should work with the palette... You'll need to enable some network output in the Patch Routing screen...
Personally, at work, I use WYSIWYG over Strand's Shownet.

As far as Cue Tip goes... It's a suite of three OpenPalette programs, that were (I believe) written by Robert Bell...
Support for any Open Palette software is at the discretion of the software write... But you can try the Palette forums (strand-dev.com • Index page) OpenPalette section...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back