Palette VL Issues

sross01986

Right now I am working with a Palette VL 16 running 10.8.4 and the last couple of months I have been having operational issues. The light board is randomly freezing and acting very slow. I have been sending log files to Horizon Control but I have never received a response from them.(sent my first log file several weeks ago) The dealer that the board was purchased from is now starting to think about fixing the board or replacing it completely which is great because it is under warranty. Here are my questions.

1. Has anyone had similar issues with a Palette board. For example during a show or programming. Freezing, or acting very sluggish. having "tiles" not work?

2. What is the normal response time for Horizon Control to respond? I sent one at the beginning of September and never heard a response. Sent some afterwards and still no response. I am very frustrated with the lack of response.

3.Has anyone had to replace a whole board due to defects? I want to do this because it seems like the easy way to solve these problems once and for all.

And please no "well go and get an ion" responses please. They are great boards but that is not an option.

I have had a preset Palette slow down toward the end of a 8 hour rehearsal, noticeable lag between hitting a bump button and lights coming on or typing something. Restarted the thing and didn't have any issues for the time being.

Right now I am working with a Palette VL 16 running 10.8.4 and the last couple of months I have been having operational issues. The light board is randomly freezing and acting very slow. I have been sending log files to Horizon Control but I have never received a response from them.(sent my first log file several weeks ago) The dealer that the board was purchased from is now starting to think about fixing the board or replacing it completely which is great because it is under warranty. Here are my questions.

1. Has anyone had similar issues with a Palette board. For example during a show or programming. Freezing, or acting very sluggish. having "tiles" not work?

2. What is the normal response time for Horizon Control to respond? I sent one at the beginning of September and never heard a response. Sent some afterwards and still no response. I am very frustrated with the lack of response.

3.Has anyone had to replace a whole board due to defects? I want to do this because it seems like the easy way to solve these problems once and for all.

And please no "well go and get an ion" responses please. They are great boards but that is not an option.

I'll run through these fairly quickly... But feel free to pester me for more detail...

1. Yes, yes we did. Often referred to by my Stage Manager as "Go-No-Go's" and sluggish keystroke response, or "skipping" a keystroke.
The "tiles" in a Light Palette (what we have) are connected slightly differently than the panels in a Palette console, so I believe that symptom would present differently between our boards.

2. Depends on the email address used, and the information given... Usually a matter of hours. Though I have a somewhat closer/more constant relationship with them than some people, I find it hard to believe that I am given prefferential service on my mindless questions.

3. Never a whole board. Our problem was solved by a replacement of the original processor unit.
We had an early edition Light Palette VL, that was running an older (and thus slower) processor that couldn't handle the newer software. We were given a newer processor, and everything went back to normal.
(Easy was to tell: Is your console running XP or Vista?)

I'm not sure about the hardware makeup of the Palette series over the Light Palette series... It's the same software, but with slightly different hardware... A processor replacement may or may not be the right way to go, or even an option... Only a certified tech would be able to tell you for sure.

[EDIT: Well, I can tell you that the processor *can* be swapped, at least the Strand Website says it can... Whether it needs to be or not is a different matter.
I can actually talk you through the setup for using an external computer (Laptop or Desktop) to become the "brains" of the console temporarily to check if this clears up the problems, if you would like to attempt to troubleshoot... I'm actually really surprised your dealer didn't suggest this.]

Bobby Harrell may be able to help more, as well...

The Horizon Control guys recently were aquired by another company, but are still supplying and supporting the Palette software... This should not affect response times... It's possible your requests got eaten by the internet?

And don't worry, you'll never hear a "Go get an ION" response from me... I've used dozens of consoles over the years, and still use an ION on a semi-frequent basis... Nothing will ever replace the love I have for the Palette.

The trouble with the palette is it runs windows, which is not a real time system. Check that nothing has been installed on it that would slow it down.

It's a locked down version of Windows designed for permanent one-purpose installation... And is thus without direct access to any of the core components...
"Installing" software is not possible, it's simply locked out.

The only software that can be run from the console is "Registry Independant" software, IE: Open Palette stuff... Which is generally unable to do any damage. Which is why Strand supports it.

Last edited:
And whyy woudl you even consider doing this? It's a light console for pete's sake, not something to play Doom/Gears/COD/whatever-game-is-popular-today on.....

The trouble with the palette is it runs windows, which is not a real time system. Check that nothing has been installed on it that would slow it down.

Almost all of the modern consoles on the market today are running on top of an embedded Windoze system. So saying that this is a problem particular to the palette series of desks is kind of a fallacy. Then entire ETC Eos line runs over embedded Windoze. However, making sure that nothing else is interefering with the lighting control software is advisable.

And don't worry, you'll never hear a "Go get an ION" response from me... I've used dozens of consoles over the years, and still use an ION on a semi-frequent basis... Nothing will ever replace the love I have for the Palette.
Thank you very much for responding. Its been a help and the rest goes for the people who suggested I talk to people in Strand or has brought up personal experiences. I only put the Ion thing up because I have noticed with less experienced younger members that is they way they feel about light boards. And I was looking for answers or personal experience that would help me solve these issues. Not some random opinion about how ETC is better. Because I don't care about what board is better. I just want my Palette VL to work.

And whyy woudl you even consider doing this? It's a light console for pete's sake, not something to play Doom/Gears/COD/whatever-game-is-popular-today on.....

It was more to prove a point to a classmate, I of course un installed everything I had installed. The point is, in some cases it is possible, and I did find it would slow down the system considerably.

Our's does something like this. Highlight like the first 100 channels using the GUI, and then use the wheel to increase them. If only the 1st 7 have any reaction on screen, we have the same problem.

We fix it (what we assume is overheating) by shutting it all the way down, unplugging it, and letting it sit for >half an hour. Hard resets don't help. Also, I talked with a guy at Vincent who suggested that opening it up (using the buttons on each side) and making sure all the USB connections are solid might help.

It was more to prove a point to a classmate, I of course un installed everything I had installed. The point is, in some cases it is possible, and I did find it would slow down the system considerably.

It's still pretty stupid (not calling you stupid - just your actions) especially if it was just "to prove a point". It's like "Well I jumped off the golden gate bridge just to prove the point that it will kill you". It also will invalidate any warranty you might have on the system. Even if you think you un-installed everything - you didn't. Nothing is every completely removed from a system once it's installed. The only way to get it back to what it should be is to reload the entire operating system and start from scratch again...

Having only 7 channels is a sign that the console is not seeing your channel key. If the rest of the tiles are still responsive, it is either the key or the USB port the key is in. If you loose your tiles as well, it is likely a USB hub problem.

Interesting, as, as I said, Vincent had suggested something along those lines. How would I go about fixing that permanently (or can it be done)?

Color me skeptical. I am fairly sure you left evidence behind. It may never affect anything but I doubt seriously you completely cleared it.

Noah, if your problem is continuing after your discussions with the service folks, I would give them a call again and have another discussion. They gave you a few items to check, but if they didn't fix it all the way, I would give Taine or someone another call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back