PAR 64 can question

JLNorthGA

Our theater was given eight PAR 64 cans of uncertain origin. I can get the information that is printed on the sides when I get back to the playhouse this evening.

Anyway - we were given eight cans and two light trees. The cans bolt to the light tree side arms. I can get Mega clamps or something similar to fit the bolt holes, so they can be mounted on the light battens above the stage. I don't know what I'm going to do with the light trees - they might come in handy eventually.

I've never worked with PAR 64 cans before and I'm not familiar with them - naturally these didn't come with manuals. My thought is using them as wash lights.

I would like to determine the wattage of the bulbs. These have Edison plugs - so I'd have to make some Stage pin to Edison adapters.

I wouldn't have minded getting some 6" Fresnel instruments - but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth :).

So - what quirks do PAR 64 cans happen to have? I was planning on using these with gel frames - after I buy some. I'm presuming I"m going to have to open the cans to check the wattage - what else should I look for?

If the cans have cords longer than three feet with molded connectors, they are probably imported units that will only be rated for 500w lamps. American made fixtures like Altman's are rated for 1000w lamps.

500PAR64 lamps come in Narrow, Medium and Wide flood beam spreads. The beam is oval in shape and can be oriented by spinning the lamp socket.

Pars are great for throwing a lot of light as long as you don't need too much control over the beam pattern.
Lamps are usually used to set the beam and common lamps are Very narrow, narrow, medium, wide. The medium and wide lamps look a bit like a headlight and the narrow lamps usually have a pebble finish. Very narrow usually have a clear front. The common wattage for 64's are 500w and 1000w.

In addition, you can get a reflector kit that will allow you to use the DYS type lamps (300w and 600w)

Hope this helps.

... I would like to determine the wattage of the bulbs. ...
It'll be either 1000 or 500W. If it's not printed on the back of the lamp, or if the writing has faded away, http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...what-lamp-installed-without-removing-cap.html .

These have Edison plugs - so I'd have to make some Stage pin to Edison adapters.
OR, cut off the male Edison and install a male 2P&G. You can always then use a MED to go back the other way.

Pars are a great light. Sure, there is more modern stuff out there, but for top/back lights and washes, they are hard to beat for the price. Control is very limited. You can point them where you want the light to go and thats about it, but I use mine for top/back lighting all the time, where spill isn't as big a deal.

No manual needed for the par can. "Point-n-shoot" is about all there is to it. Note that you can "spin the bottle" to get the oval beam spread in the orientation that best suits your application, and you can buy barn doors for the front.

They are very much a "point n shoot" fixture. You wont need a manual for them as they are nothing fancy but they are a great d&d fixture to have in your inventory. I use some in our childrens and youth rooms to add color to the stages. If i need it a little more limited i add barn doors. I have found the med and wide angle bulbs are the best for the applications of the way i use the fixture the most.

only thing I have to say is that, beware its very hot, so try to keep it away from things that will melt and lines that will lay on the can. Just pointing it out since no one hasn't yet.
i've dealt with par cans before, and man their hot as the dickens.

another thing twist the lamp clockwise or counter clockwise choose the lamp focus, it somewhat has a linear wash with the middle being a bit more brighter than the outer parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back