Par Walls How to

kevis45

Hey, Ive seen lately lots of shows doing par walls with individual channels for control. Also using blinder punch lights also to do chases and patterns. What is the most cost effective way to achieve something like this?

Hey, Ive seen lately lots of shows doing par walls with individual channels for control. Also using blinder punch lights also to do chases and patterns. What is the most cost effective way to achieve something like this?

We did a 5 x 5 grid of 1000w Fresnels last year to explore the pixel mapping capabilities of MagicQ. I had the instruments, cable, and dimmers already so I can't speak to cost effectiveness, but it was a fun project. The kids called it The Wall of Blindness. On the last day it was up, we used it to toast marshmallows. I have pictures somewhere...

We did a 5 x 5 grid of 1000w Fresnels last year to explore the pixel mapping capabilities of MagicQ. I had the instruments, cable, and dimmers already so I can't speak to cost effectiveness, but it was a fun project. The kids called it The Wall of Blindness. On the last day it was up, we used it to toast marshmallows. I have pictures somewhere...

I would love to see some pics.

Well, the short answer is that conventional lights are generally the cheapest way to do anything. However, that also means a dimmer per light, and a LOT of cable. We recently did a youth conference with a 10x11 grid of pars on vertical towers. In this instance, we didn't actually pixel map the fixtures, just ran them with effects and a few carefully done cues. I can sympathize with Tex, that thing was brighter than all get out. I don't think we ever ran it at above 25%. LEDs can eliminate a lot of cable and dimmers, but, they're going to cost you a pretty penny to get setup.

Are you thinking about something that you would use as a touring rig? Or perhaps something more along the lines of a backdrop or scenic element in a stage or club? I would certainly go about setting those things up differently.

I'll see if I can get permission from the photographer to upload a photo or two of it in action.

I just did something like that for our show(Hairspray), with 6 zip strips vertical on bases
with 12 S4pars Narrow lens with scrollers divided between the strips in a pattern. I also had 8 LED RGB pars up but did not use them as they were just to bright, even at 25%.

The Lights were setup upstage shot through our 22'x64' seamless cyc with a black scrim in front of that to calm it down. Ran levels around 25 to 30%, For the last production number I added a light blue chiffon just upstage of the talent, so I was able to run the lights at full with out blinding the audience.
I built about 8 different chases and had about 15 different looks, used 36 dimmers.

And of course I didnt take a single pic...:cry:

So, use what have, and have fun...

I've built similar things for theme park shows using 10.5 aluminum clip lights. It's more than enough wattage. We couldn't afford individual control, so did groups of 5. We used $100 ADJ shoebox dimmers. So you'd be looking at something like $35/light for individual control (plus structure, cable, etc).

I've built similar things for theme park shows using 10.5 aluminum clip lights. It's more than enough wattage. We couldn't afford individual control, so did groups of 5. We used $100 ADJ shoebox dimmers. So you'd be looking at something like $35/light for individual control (plus structure, cable, etc).

We were going to do this for our last stage, but changed at the last minute. DFD has a 24 channel rack mount dimmer rated at 10w (IIRC) per channel. It was around $1100 retail. It was cheaper than shoe box dimmers and who need 12 elation 4 channel dimmers sitting on the shelf when the stage changes in 6 months?

We did it with LED once. Videos How you do it depends on the tools you have on hand. I've seen it done (often) with colorblaze 72, with individual pars, with led, you name it. I think some touring band did something similar with moving lights (obviously, on a bigger stage) but I can't remember who.

Actually, i think led pars are the way to go. Basic 10mill 172-183 pc pars are about 50-60 a can when bought in bulk from china. I bought my first 20 for $1250 free shipping from china off of ebay 2 years ago and haven't looked back. RGB color washing, a huge electrical savings, 110 v are all positives in my book. Plus in a grid you can do low res mapping with the proper software.

Jawbone

That's a really great thought Jawbone. I tend to think in terms of what I have available in my inventory, and those cans aren't very good for much. But this is the perfect application for them, and eliminates the need for dimmers, and probably close to a ton of cable for any decent sized wall. I'll keep that in mind for the next time I find someone who wants to do one of those.

One more thot: Someone makes a 5 x 5 crowd blinder where every lamp is individually controllable via dmx. No idea who, but I know it's out there. I think REM or Coldplay had a bunch on a recent tour.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thot: Someone makes a 5 x 5 crowd blinder where every lamp is individually controllable via dmx. No idea who, but I know it's out there. I think REM or Coldplay had a bunch on a recent tour.

That's the Chromlech Jarag. Or it could be one of the Chinese ripoffs of the Jarag but the name brand Jarags are pretty standard still. I've seen them in person and they are quite spectacular.

I agree with getting LED pars. If you really wanna go for cheap LED pars you should be able to get the tiny little stubby can similar to the Chauvet LEDsplash86b for not much.

Actually, Inner Circle Distribution also makes a 5x5 matrix; they call it the Elements Krypton 25.

They were the background effects used on MTV's VMA's this year.

How about a 10x10 grid of Source 4s? I put together this project as an entry for ETC's video contest which I think many of the students of the Control Booth should take a look at. It's sort of a shameless plug-in but I really enjoyed this thread. We used an Ion's pixel mapping capability to run the entire setup in our lightlab.

Show Us Your ETC

If you like the video and would like to vote for it, all you have to do is "like" the video on the bottom right hand corner of the player.

Enjoy the movie!

Nik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back