PCB connector to RJ45

So i'm Trying to make these led strip lights dmx controllable from our ION board. I have the Strip lights and I have the dmx decoder, the problem is it needs to go from a PCB connector on the strip lights to a rj45 on the decoder. Does anybody have any idea on how to go about making an adapter for this? Bellow is a link to both of the products.

dmx decoder - 3 Channels DMX-512 Decoder Controller for RGB LED Lamp Light Multi-functional Full-color Controller - Amazon.com

Led strip light- Amazon.com: Lemonbest® 16.4FT SMD 5050 Water-resistant 300LEDs RGB Flexible LED Strip Light Lamp Kit + 44Key IR Remote Controller: Home Improvement

Please do not take this as definitive instructions. It is very difficult to say anything for certain from a couple of pictures on the Amazon website.

I think you need the wiring diagram for the RJ-45 connector. It is likely going to be using 4 pins; no idea which ones, for +12V, Red, Green, and Blue, not necessarily in that order. They might be doubled up to get the 4A current rating.

Assuming the SMD 5050 reel is similar to those I have worked with the way it works is by pulling the Red, Green, and Blue to ground to turn on the LEDs. Dimming is achieved through PWM.

The IR remote and power supply that come with the SMD 5050 don't seem to be needed. Cut them off and wire on an RJ-45 jack to the exposed wires that are attached to the SMD 5050 strip. You will need either an RJ-45 crimper or a short RJ-45 male-to-male cable and a surface-mount junction box that you can buy at your local big box building centre. If you don't own a crimper the junction box will be cheaper for a one-off project. Save the bits you cut off and the infrared remote for some other LED project.

If you are doing a lot of these you can probably source an SMD 5050 to RJ-45 specialty adapter from aliexpress or mouser. If it's a smaller project it might be easier to source a DMX LED driver with screw terminal connections rather than the RJ45.

The RJ45 connectors on that driver are alternate DMX connectors, connected in parallel with the XLR ones. They don't connect to the strip.

While they don't show the back side in the picture, it likely has two terminal strips or phoenix connectors, one for 12V in, and a 4-terminal one to connect to the LED strips. The LED strips, as shown, has a 4-pin connector wired to each end. Either get the mating connector for the LED strips or dike off the existing connector and hard-wire it to the driver. Make sure the wire you use is of suitable thickness to minimize voltage drop as that will cause color changes along the strip. Depending on your setup, it may make sense to feed both ends of the strip in parallel to reduce drop in the strip itself.

/mike

Just two days ago, I did just exactly what you are trying with the exact same controller and LED strip. n1st is correct that the RJ45 is just an alternate connector for inputting the DM512. The LED strip does not need or want the controller that came with it. Just solder some wires to the pins on the connector of the LED strip and run those to a terminal strip on the rear of the DMX controller. The terminal strip will have two connections for 12 to 24 vdc labeled + and -. The remainder of the strip will have a common and four channels 1 through 4. Connect the pin on the end of the strip of LEDs that has a small arrow to the common and the remaining three wires to any combination of the four channels that you choose.
The one that I did is used in the cross for "Jesus Christ Superstar". I removed the circuit board from the controller and an inexpensive Chauvet wireless receiver and hard wired the 12 vdc and DMX from board to board.
Channel 1 is two strings of cool white LEDs around the inside perimeter of the cross reflected onto white foamcore and shows though expanded metal. THe RGB strip of LEDs runs right down the center of the cross and across, making a thin cross on top of the larger cross. We are staging the show in 2013 in an old rundown factory set. The cross flys down with the RGB strip doing various patterns to the music. Then the Christ actor is loaded on the cross and fitted into a base that rolls down stage with the white LED strips creating a glow behind him. Just as the cross arrives near the apron a black scrim flys in, in front of him and the show ends. The whole cross is operated from several small batteries buried in the cross with all of the elctronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back