Permanent Microphones

DTaxon

Hello
I am interested in installing permanent mics for recording purposes (not for distribution) in my high school and would like input on what mics to use and an estimation of how much it will cost. Thanks!

Give us some more info on the project so that we can better help you. What is your budget for the project? What sort of content will you be recording? Where will the mic be placed? What are you mounting / hanging options?

And welcome to Control Booth! When you get a chance, be sure to stop by the New Member Board and introduce yourself to the group.

~Dave

Budget is probably no more than $1,000. They will be recording band and choir concerts mostly. The mics will be hung from the ceiling using any method that will work.

I've had pretty good results with the Audio Technica U853 series mics. They can be had for $190-$250 each depending on which variant you purchase. They aren't the fanciest option but they are a solid choice in your price range.

Thank you for the information. Would you recommend using a company to hang them or is it something the schools maintenance staff could do? If so, what company would be good in the Chicago area (if you know).

Hello
I am interested in installing permanent mics for recording purposes (not for distribution) in my high school and would like input on what mics to use and an estimation of how much it will cost. Thanks!
Keep it simple: I say mount a Shure VP-88 in an "appropriate location". Give Shure a call in regards to what they recommend for permanent, overhead mounting. It's a hefty mic...

Thank you for the information. Would you recommend using a company to hang them or is it something the schools maintenance staff could do? If so, what company would be good in the Chicago area (if you know).

I take it you aren't a technician. No problem. We are happy to help. What is the stage like? Are there pipes overhead with curtains hanging from them? These mics are very light weight. The only real question is do you have a safe way to get up high enough to hang them. In my theater I have a set of Audio Technica U853's hanging from one of the pipes over head I use a little bit of what we call tie line... it's 1/4" thick heavy cotton string to tie them in place. You could even use just about anything to secure the cables to the pipes, just don't cinch down tight or cause the mic cable to bend at a sharp way as that would break the tiny wires inside the mic cables. Run the mic cables along the pipe and off stage to where it gets plugged in. No need to hire anyone to do it. I installed some in a church once for choir mics and we simply screwed some heavy screw eyes into the ceiling which we tied the mic cables to. The only trick is making some minor adjustments so that they don't spin and point in the wrong direction. Also be sure they stay away from spotlights as they could melt the cables and anything with electrical power running through it as that could cause buzzing or humming in the microphone.

If you need more specific advice, take some pictures of the stage and where you want to hang the microphones and we can help you.

You're going to want to have someone install this who has at least done it before. And if you buy the microphones from the same company then maybe they'll give you a discount on the installation. There are quite a number of microphones that will "work," but knowing what will be best for your space really requires someone to be standing in the space with their ears on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back