Personal Website

I think it is important to show your scope of knowledge but you need to caption pictures to know what you did with the production. I know a guy that has a lighting company site and he shows pictures of events he has done. Several of them are shows I TDed and he was a hand, his company was nowhere near it. If he was selling his tech experience then those pictures are important but he is leading people to believe his company produced the show.
And the Contractor that sold a mic cable or lamp to someone from IBM will list IBM as a past client in the same list where they identify clients for whom they designed and installed complete systems. A multidiscipline firm may present projects for which the work they performed was in a completely different discipline. A branch office of a company may list project experience from other branches since the overall company is a single legal entity. Things like this happen all the time. Being an Engineer I always wanted to be as technically accurate and specific as possible when addressing past projects and experience while the marketing people I've worked with often tended to be a bit more vague and creative in their descriptions.

I used to completely agree with this, but then my professors and others kept beating it into us that we should include photos even from our technical credits, to help show scale. I'm still not 100% sold on the idea, but it does make a certain amount of sense. My resume might say M.E. for a show at the Kitchen Theatre, but unless you've been there before, you don't know if that's a 1800 seat proscenium with 30 moving lights in house stock, or a 49 seat black box with a 10' lighting grid. They're still being built, but my Portfolio page will eventually have three sub-links on the page, one for the portfolio that's up now (production shots), and then pages for Technical photos (photos of practicals being built or similar) and Draftings. I'm hoping that that will make it more clear that I didn't design the shows that have photos.

It truly depends on what kinds of jobs you plan to apply for - if you are applying for an ME Position, include a few photos of the production but make your focus the paperwork and process and make it painfully clear that you did not design the show in question. But if you are applying for a design job - NEVER include another designer's work, from personal experience as a Production Manager I have received resumes and portfolios from young designers and they include work that they "assisted" with or were an electrician on - and the work looked good, however the comparison between the other designer's work and your work is unavoidable - if the other designer has more experience then, Me as one that makes hiring decisions - I immediately contacted the other designer. I have given jobs to other designers because of this - I know it is not pretty but I am obligated to provide the highest quality designers at my budget point, and if you give me options in your portfolio - make sure you are the better option.

AFAIK, using .org is poor form and kind of weird/confusing if you are not a non-profit organization

Really? Thats sucks, because my media company is not a non-profit, but it's got a .org, because that's what my online consultant recommended, and also because the .com was owned by Plesk, and I couldn't work out a deal for the name.

Should I look into changing it?

Sorry...don't mean to hijack this thread.

Really? Thats sucks, because my media company is not a non-profit, but it's got a .org, because that's what my online consultant recommended, and also because the .com was owned by Plesk, and I couldn't work out a deal for the name.

Should I look into changing it?

Sorry...don't mean to hijack this thread.

That's the suggestion, but not a rule. I think most people see .ORGanization so I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially considering most people will arrive at your website through a search engine and therefore not think about your domain name much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back