Pinspot beam angle but brighter?

Elusid

I really like the beam pinspots create especially when several of them are used but they really aren't that bright. I'm trying to find a fixture and lamp that will make a similar beam but much brighter and is durable enough to turn on and off in relatively quick succession. I've found some 4 deg AR111 lamps both 6 and 12v but I'm not sure where to find a fixture for them. The brighter the better. Any ideas?

PAR46 ACLs would be an option depending on the application - they've gotta be used in groups of 4 though, they're 28V lamps so when you wire 4 in series they give you acceptable voltage for hooking right up to a dimmer, no transformers in the cans.

How much brighter? I've seen some of the new LED pinspots and they APPEAR brighter than the 30w 4515 lamp. Also, I find that quality varies significantly in the 4515, even across the same brand. I have GE 4515 that have a very focused beam, and others that spread out like an amoeba. Depending on budget, use, etc., maybe some of the newer, smaller moving heads. Some of them can be pretty bright.

Other possibilities would perhaps be to get a VNSP lamp and then black wrap the can?

ACL, as mentioned, although that would have its own limitations of use, etc.

what are you trying to do? What is the use and hoped for end result? What size beam are you looking for at what throw??

I would love to find a fixture/lamp that will do a 4 or 5deg beam and be as bright as possible. I work at a dance club and I've set up a bunch of pin spots around some truss that chases but it's not bright enough.

proxy.php

This will do the job.

Equipped with precision optics and a Luminus™ CBT-90 LED driven at 50-watts, the RAYGUN™ produces a 2.5-degree beam of over 22,000 Lux at 1 meter, and all while sipping a TINY 35 watts of power at 120VAC! A dichroic color wheel supplies 7 richly saturated colors plus white, while variable speed strobing and full dimming bring a whole new level of effects to the conventional VNSP. The ROCKLITE™ RAYGUN™ is the perfect replacement for upstage “beam effectPAR cans, and works great as a high-powered pinspot replacement as well.

Impressive, looks like the Blizzard Rocklite Raygun has a street price of around $390. Here's a shot of it in action from the Blizzard Website.
_DSC2819.jpg

Wow, that looks cool, hopefully they slap a moving yolk on that bad boy!

What's the overall budget, what are the fixtures wanted to use - are they PAR 36 fixtures set on using at the 6v/30w transformer in perhaps going halogen? #H4515 lamps have +20% more output than incandescent ones for a start, but the same lamp life.

If the case of already have the pinspots with transformers, the #H7604 G.E. #43576 if still on the market is just under double the output of the incandescent #4515 lamp at the same wattage and voltage.

#4515 G.E. #24673 PAR 36, Incd. VNSP 5°x 5° 30w/6.4v PAR36 c-6 MOL 2.3/4" Scr.Term Hem. Shielded Filament, Bulk Pack #24671 55,000 Cand 100hr
#H4515 G.E. #15133 PAR 36, Quartz VNSP 5½° x 4° 30w/6.4v PAR36 c-6 MOL 2.3/4" Scr.Term Hem. Shielded Filament, Shatter Risk 67,000 Cand 100hr

#H7604 G.E. #43576 PAR 36, Quartz 7x4° 30w/6.4v PAR36 MOL70mm Scr. Term Bulk pkg #43577 100,000 Cand 100hr

Beam spread depends on brand for 4515, but for the H7604, it is slightly more oval in beam spread, but look at the candlepower. Above post based on GE standard and other brands might offer the same lamps similar in mini-lamp standards for a #4515. Not aware of another H7694 brand but possible.

Note above the "Hem Shielded Fiament" note, this could be important in the #H7604 perhaps having one or not. Acts like a beam projector in blocking other than the reflected light. Probably has one given the beam angle, but could be important in becoming a very different lamp than expected.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back