Pivoting One Column in an Archway

DMurphy

We are looking to pivot an archway column and I wanted to see if anyone had done something like this before. Basically, we have two 10-foot columns that are about 1'x1' attached at the top by a 1'x1' header/capital. We are looking to anchor one of the columns so it will not move laterally, but so it can rotate. The other column will be swinging the archway to several positions with a full range of about 180-deg, basically moving in the path of a semicircle. I am trying to figure out a solution to anchor the one column but still allow it to pivot. Can anyone give some tips on this?

Thank you!

I would attach a pipe flange to the floor with a short piece of pipe in it and another pipe flange with a smaller pipe that will nest into the larger pipe inside the column. Make sure you grease them well too. From there you could have casters on the outside of the arch for your pivot or you could pick it up slightly and move it.

Just be careful with the pipe and flange, If you go to far one way or the other, either you will stop moving or you will fall out of your flange.

Duck, You need to read a bit more carefully. Techieman is describing two separate pipes, neither physically attached to the other. One is hard fastened to the column, probably using a pipe flange. the other is fastened to the stage deck, probably with a pipe flange. One pipe and flange is larger, say nom 2" pipe with an inner diameter of 2.067". The other pipe and flange are smaller, say 1 1/2" nominal pipe with an o.d. of 1.90" . The .167" difference will give a reasonable slip fit for a slow speed, low force, rotational movement.

The thing the OP will need to be aware of is that there will be a considerable amount of compound twisting force at the point where the columns attach to the header. Make this connection beefier and stronger than you think necessary. You could also attach the columns at the base with a plywood plank the width of the column bases. The ply could be covered on the under side with felt or similar and just "slide" along the floor when it rotates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back