Portable backdrop system

csilvia9

Hello all,

I am the Technical Director for my local Children's Theater. We have to travel from theater space to theater space for our performances. Some of the spaces we use have no system in place for flying scenery or even using backdrops. I would like to construct something we could use to have multiple backdrops for our shows. The stage we mostly use is 30' wide and I would like a height of 15 to 20'. Can anyone help me out with some ideas or plans to build such a thing? I am more a fabricator and costume designer than a rigger. I understand these types of things are usually costume jobs. If anyone knows of an off the shelf system I could use that would be great. I have searched and searched but no luck.

Thank you any thoughts are much appreciated
Csilvia9

Have you considered pipe and drape. There are several options available. The rental house I work for has some uprights that collapse to 9' or so and extend taller than 20'. You could use 2 16' long crossbars and 3 uprights. that would allow you to use a backdrop that is up to 32' wide and 20' tall. I would recommend larger base plates and the addition of some sandbags on the bottom if you are going 20' in the air. Pipe and base has the added advantage of being easy and small to transport and quick to set up. If you search the internet for "pipe and base" you can find several companies that sell various systems.

Have you considered pipe and drape. There are several options available. The rental house I work for has some uprights that collapse to 9' or so and extend taller than 20'. You could use 2 16' long crossbars and 3 uprights. that would allow you to use a backdrop that is up to 32' wide and 20' tall. I would recommend larger base plates and the addition of some sandbags on the bottom if you are going 20' in the air. Pipe and base has the added advantage of being easy and small to transport and quick to set up. If you search the internet for "pipe and base" you can find several companies that sell various systems.
Thank you, my biggest concern was with the support, I will look into the Pipe and Base.

Thank you, my biggest concern was with the support, I will look into the Pipe and Base.
I have searched the Pipe and drape and tried to contact a few people with not much luck. Most of what I found was four trade show exhibits. My main concern are the bases. I know screwing to the deck of the stage is not an option with most of our venues. My [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] issue of course is safety, is what I want to do even possible?

You should look at trussing if your budget allows. Three 3 meter sticks gives you your 30' horizontal span, two universal junction blocks and a couple more sticks of various size achieves your vertical rise. One foot by four foot bases gives you the stability required.
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

There's also this from Grosh:
http://www.backdroplift.com/index_surf.html

Any of these are workable solutions to have ONE portable backdrop. They don't solve the multiple backdrop issue. That's a lot trickier. I think I'd look at using a truss system as the super structure, and make the drops out of a lightweight and flexible material (perhaps synthetic muslin with a dye process rather than paint) that could be rigged like a modified Austrian drape, to bunch and gather at the top, with multiple lines running through D-rings stitched to the back and tying to a lightweight bottom pipe. Getting this all to work safely and smoothly and be easily portable will take time, effort, and money.

You should look at trussing if your budget allows. Three 3 meter sticks gives you your 30' horizontal span, two universal junction blocks and a couple more sticks of various size achieves your vertical rise. One foot by four foot bases gives you the stability required.
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
Thank you Bill, Do you have a good source for trusses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back