Power distro

Dagger

Hard to explain please bear with me

Was using a power distro (different outlets labelled x, y, z)

X was used for audio

Z was used for lighting

( can someone explain why so?)

Audio guy used a quad box plugged into X and had 2 speakers (500 watts ) plugged into it .

i had to set up one light next to the speakers so i decided to take the power from that quad box .

So there were 2 speakers plus one light connected in that quad box .)

I am worried if that's okay to do or some Problems might occur .

X was meant for audio . I plugged in a lighting fixture into the quad box that's connected to X .

Is that any issue ?. I am really paranoid now .
Can someone explain . I am off tomorrow I am thinking I should go and check up on it early morning.

I wouldn't worry about it. What problems do you think might happen? Maybe a ground loop or popping a breaker?

You should actually have audio on a completely different service to lessen any potential ground loops. They way you're hooked up now, you're sharing neutral and ground anyways.

If working off a single distro and a small enough show, it's not uncommon to plop sound on a different leg. Lighting loads can cause noise and voltage variations so it's an easy way to keep delicate equipment on a different leg to minimize that. On larger shows, a separate distro (ideally from a separate panel) is the way to go.
It's not that there is anything different about lights, it's just the noise dimmers create and the fact that switching large loads on and off can cause voltage variations.

Usually you want to separate lighting and audio onto separate power services, and ideally separate transformers. Sometimes lighting equipment(mostly dimmers) can cause noise when sharing power with audio. In practice, it's usually not an issue. For small shows I share power all the time, but never separate systems onto different phases. This noise is usually on the shared ground; keeping audio and lighting on separate phases probably won't help. Furthermore, putting all of each system on one leg each, could lead to a drastic load imbalance, and may cause more problems.

If I'm sharing power to begin with, its usually because it is the only power available, and I'm already pushing the limits in a lot of these cases. The last thing I want to do is load up one leg and blow a fuse, or kill a geney because of imbalance.

Sharing power for lighting and audio, even if there is a problem, is not going to damage anything, there might be some unwanted noise in the audio, but generally I don't worry about it. If you notice noise, then address it, if and when it happens. Yes its best just to keep separate to begin with, but if you have to share power, there is no reason to overthink it beforehand, most times everything will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back