Installs Processor with submix capabilities?

Thomas

You noiseboys probably have the best answer for this.

I've been working a lot in venues with their own in-house av systems- JBL Control or Bose 251 all over, processed usually with a DBX ZonePRO 640 and some DVD players, CD players or Satellite receivers for inputs, with euroblock connectors for a remote paging mic or two.

Usually the client get really bummed when their system has to be switched off and I have to have an entire PA brought in just to do their one-off function because they've just spent several thousand rands on top-class gear.

In the battle for efficiency vs. flexibility in the installed av systems market, what's around that can do what the DBX can, with the addition of two separate mic-level inputs for me to patch my submix into?

And no, don't say y-split over the amps and bypass the DBX completely. I want to keep all of it's processing power intact. Plus the DBX can hard limit my inputs and keep me out of trouble.

I don't see anything from Crestron or JBL around, but I'm not into that market so I'm probably not looking in the right places.

Shot okes.

Rane RPM88 (or one of the smaller RPM units). I just installed one as a monitor processor (which I expect is a rare application for it). Nice stuff. The RPM88 (top of the series) is 8in, 8out (plus a pair of AES I/O) and you can configure it just about any way you can think up. The available processing blocks are:

Input/A-D with adjustable digital trim (also configurable as mic in).

Output/D-A with adjustable analog trim, mute, and invert.

Compressor.

Mono compressor with sidechain (think Rane C4).

Stereo compressor with sidechain (as above).

Limiter.

AGC/Gate (think Rane G4).

Ambient noise comp (a wacky widget).

Parametric EQ (you decide how many bands, to optimize DSP usage).

30 band graphic EQ.

Feedback Suppressor.

2 way crossover.

3 way crossover.

Matrix mixer.

Auto mixer/ducker.

Mixer.

Selector.

Level control.

Delay.

Signal generator (sine or pink).

Meter.

Text label.

You can connect little wall-mount remotes so venue staff can adjust things w/o the need of a console. You can keep two of the inputs open for your rig (which leaves them six on an RPM88).

The PC connection is via Ethernet. Setting it up to use with a wired connection and then a wireless router was a piece of cake (and I know squat about networking).

I will say that I found the documentation/instructions to be rather lacking, but their phone support is great (I've never waited more than a minute or two to talk to someone who knew his stuff).

They show up on eBay from time to time - that's where I got this one.

RPM 88 Programmable Multiprocessor

I've been working a lot in venues with their own in-house av systems- JBL Control or Bose 251 all over, processed usually with a DBX ZonePRO 640 and some DVD players, CD players or Satellite receivers for inputs, with euroblock connectors for a remote paging mic or two.

Usually the client get really bummed when their system has to be switched off and I have to have an entire PA brought in just to do their one-off function because they've just spent several thousand rands on top-class gear.
Typically these type of installations are done on a budget and will not include anything not defined upfront as being required or desired. Are your clients telling the people doing these systems that they want to be able to tie in portable systems? If this need was not identified then what they should be bummed about is failing to do so, don't blame the system for not being able to do something that wasn't defined when the system was designed and installed.

In the battle for efficiency vs. flexibility in the installed av systems market, what's around that can do what the DBX can, with the addition of two separate mic-level inputs for me to patch my submix into?
Why two mic inputs? Aren't these house systems mono? Isn't your submix a line level signal? Couldn't you just go in to the house system the same as, or even on place of, a CD player or other source?

And no, don't say y-split over the amps and bypass the DBX completely. I want to keep all of it's processing power intact. Plus the DBX can hard limit my inputs and keep me out of trouble.
It can, but only on the mic inputs and only if it is programmed to do so as neither the dbx's default settings or configuration support this functionality.

I don't see anything from Crestron or JBL around, but I'm not into that market so I'm probably not looking in the right places.
Yep, probably much more likely to find something from manufacturers like Biamp, Rane, Ashly, TOA, Symetrix and so forth.

I really think you may be making this more difficult then it needs to be. You may need a level matching box to get your signal into the -10dB unbalanced stereo source inputs, but that would seem to be the easiest approach. Or is there something not obvious that makes this impractical?

RMP88 looks like the answer, thanks.
Smart people don't connect to in-house systems unless they are in-house too, otherwise there's nothing but pain and suffering.

RMP88 looks like the answer, thanks.
The RPM processors are good products and I have used them in a number of projects, they certainly could be a viable option in place of a ZonePro. But I do not see how an RPM88 would avoid your connecting to the in-house system any differently than you would with a ZonePro. Maybe I misunderstood the issue, but what problem that you are trying to address does the RPM88 resolve differently than something like a ZonePro?

Smart people don't connect to in-house systems unless they are in-house too, otherwise there's nothing but pain and suffering.
Isn't your goal to tie into the house systems? Maybe I misunderstood what you are trying to do as otherwise this comment seems to make no real sense. Tying into house systems is a common and well accepted practice in many applications such as convention centers, hotels and so forth where external sources are the the standard mode of operation. People who work in those worlds have no problem with this and understand that you just have to know what you are doing and be prepared (e.g. carry appropriate interfaces, transformers, adapters, etc.).

Off the top of my head I know that the EV NetMax has a matrix built into it, as does Peavy's MediaMatrix (I think). I know MediaMatrix is out, but not sure about the EV box. I think I heard it was an 8 by 8, but don't quote me on that.

Off the top of my head I know that the EV NetMax has a matrix built into it, as does Peavy's MediaMatrix (I think). I know MediaMatrix is out, but not sure about the EV box. I think I heard it was an 8 by 8, but don't quote me on that.
EV does indeed have a configurable matrix processor and there are many 8x8 or similar matrix processors available from companies like Biamp, Ashly, Symetrix, Rane, BSS and so on. Provided the budget supported it, many of these could provide capabilities beyond that of something like the ZonePro, but I'm still not clear how that really changes the apparent issue of connecting external sources to the house system.

That makes two of us on that last point Muse. Just throwing options out there.

Do you need the processor or is all of that taken care of already? You could always look at the APB Dynasonics MixSwitch. Just leave the house rig connected and you can patch the outputs of the visiting band, whatever right in.

Take a look

If you need the processing, the Rane stuff gets a thumbs up from me as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back