Projection lighting?????

immune

Well, I have found a venue for the coming show. However it is a historical movie theatre and therefor lacks typical lighting abilities. There is however a projector. I was curious how I could use the movie projector for the lighting. I would like the show to still be somewhat professional looking.

Do you have any tips on how to utilize the projector for lighting effects?

Thanks.

You need to give us more information on what you are trying to accomplish

Is this a 35mm film projector? Is the projector still used for Films? does it still work? does anyone there know what they are doing in terms of using the projector

basically you have a single light aimed at the screen. If you have access to 35mm film you could make us some images for the background, but typically you would need to make up 35mm film strips since the cooling in the projector (depending on the type etc) usually will not allow you to just drop in a single image and not have it be destroyed if you hold it too long

Do you have multiple lenses with the Projector? how is the stage positioned with regard to the screen IE does the screen come all the way down to the stage or is the stage quite a bit below the screen?

Sharyn

If you're looking to do conventional lighting you might want to look into doing truss on stands. I like (and own) Applied L16's (16' height) and 12" box truss, but there are different options out there. Talk to your local rental house if budget allows. If you cannot afford to go that route look into some base/pipe options to hang Lekos or whatever it is you need.

If it is 35 mm you may not have many options. A loop of film running through the projector to have a back ground would be your best bet if that is what you want to do. You will obviously get shadows on the screen. A single image will burn in seconds, because of the extreme heat. Do not try to run the light alone through the lens because the heat will crack the glass in the lens and they are not cheap. I agree with the previous post that truss rental might be your best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back