College Pursuing a Double Major in Theatre

I am currently a junior at Florida State University and have recently realized that I have been avoiding the inevitable. All through high school and middle school I was fascinated and involved in theatre. I acted, I was a technician, I was a dancer, I was a musician, and I was a stagehand. During that time I worked on every show possible in any way I could. Now in college, I am a Production Manager who manages five employees and eight volunteers for our on campus music venue for over 130 events a year, I am a lead Audio Technician at a 440 seat performance hall, I own a small business who provides audio reinforcement for local artists, and am 9 credits away from a degree in Chemistry. This summer I am attending a summer stock theatre program as an A2/A1 depending on the show. I feel like right now I am doing well with my level of experience and credits for a 20 year old.

I recently applied and got accepted into the BA theatre program at FSU. I would finish my degree in chemistry and get a double major in theatre. I would focus on the technical side of theatre in the BA program. Because of Florida’s somewhat generous college assistance program, and my parents’ foresight in saving for my education, I would be able to finish the BA program with little or no debt. The major downside of doing this, is I would have to stay another year.

At this point in my career, I consider myself a quite proficient in live sound mixing and design. I also consider myself a reasonable manager and instructor. I train and advise five part time employees and eight part time volunteers. I regularly work shows that vary from 25 piece jazz bands, gamelan orchestras, the latest hipster rock band, and vocal performance.

Right now, I do not want to specialize. I want to learn more. I want to expand my knowledge of sound, learn more about lighting design, stage management, rigging, and more. I want to be an extremely versatile employee. The school of theatre seems like a good place to do this.

In the end, I would like to be a production manager or technical director for a large performing arts center or theatre. I know that a BA degree may or may not help in this. Experience is key. I am trying to weigh whether spending an extra year in school learning about a field is more important than a year in the actual field.

What do you think? Should I move into the field already or spend an extra year at school?

Thought one: If you want to work in academic settings or traditional theatre get the degree. If you want to expand your knowledge and become a more rounded TD get the degree. It sounds like you have the sound chops, take all the lighting courses you can. Take a video course or two. An extra year in school,especially if you are not going to be heavily in debt is only going to help. The piece of paper will open some doors at your age, it won't help with others. The knowledge of the different trades in the business and how to do them will help in your goal of being a PM or TD.

Thought two: If you have the money socked away for education, get the Chem degree, work for a year or two and then go to grad school. See if you really like the field and the hours and the craziness.

No matter what I would say keep learning, in school, out of school doesn't matter where, just keep doing it. I'm sure others will post their thoughts, I learned by the school of doing it and got a MS in TV and am the PM/TD for a university performing arts center, so I'm strange. Those here with traditional theatre degrees can speak to their experiences. Good luck.

Well, first off, congratulations on your impending degree, as well as the ability to come out of undergrad with no debt. That's wonderful, and will help you immensely in the long run. Now, on to the question.

It seems at this time that you are knowledgeable in the field, as well as taking the steps to continue your education via summer stock. The way you speak about the work makes it evident that you are passionate about the artform as well. And your goals of becoming a production manager or technical director seem to follow what you've been doing in college already. And though I always encourage people to get a theatre degree, I would say that you currently do not need the degree to accomplish what you wish to. There are many theatre practitioners out there who hold degrees in a variety of other fields. I believe it was the chair of my graduate program who held an undergrad degree in Biology. Added to that the real world experience you will gain from professional work would only further your goals.

Now, if you ever wish to go into academia, for most full time positions, you will need to get a terminal degree. But from the way you talk, I don't think that is what you are looking for at this time. Finally though, it really comes down to how comfortable you feel. When I took my second teaching position, I was expected to not only Scene Design and Lighting Design, the two areas I focused on in grad and undergrad, but I was also expected to Sound Design and Costume Design. And as such, I taught myself, and used the resources I had at my disposal. So just be aware, no matter how much education you receive, you'll always need more.

One thing to start looking at is theater director positions in the area. From my understanding, in Florida you don't really need a teaching degree to teach a subject, so I would try land a job as a HS 'tech director' at a school that is used as a road house. You will pick up information from the acts that come through, and get to spend your time working with EVERY aspect of tech theater.

I personally graduated with my theater education degree with the intent of being an acting teacher. Well, there haven't really been any openings in the area for the last 7 years or so, so I ended up as a Auditorium manager. I spend every day setting up events, building sets, designing lights, teaching tech class, coaching rock climbing club, and the list just keeps going. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Plus, I get the summers mostly off to freelance with the local theater community. Acted in two musicals last year, and I am stage managing one this year.

(this "I Love My Job" moment brought to you in part by my boss walking in this morning and asking me if I was looking around for a new job. I had to inform him that he will be putting up with me for the foreseeable future:D)

Forget the double major and start working. If you feel you must get a theatre degree, stay at Florida State and get an MFA in 3 years. That will pay off much more then the BA ever would. You won't really learn anything new on 9 months of classes... but you will be one more year without real things one your resume'. Your degree is only as good as your first real job. Beyond that, you might as well shred the thing. I have the job you want... and I use little to nothing that I learned in college daily. No college teaches the type of sound design you need to do to do large scale musicals OR R&R.

I want to thank each of you for your reply. It truly has helped me understand my goals and aspirations and how to achieve them. I just reached out to the MFA Director at FSU to setup a meeting and also just got an interview for a prominent PM position on campus. I also am discussing with my adviser about taking certain graduate level classes and getting more involved in that program.

At this point, I am not particularly interested in staying in Florida or teaching. Down the road yes, as it is something I enjoy now, but I don't feel like I currently have the knowledge or expertise to confidently or ethically instruct. I plan to continue my education in every way possible. I will attend as many summer stock internships/jobs as I can and get as much diverse experience as possible.

Thank you once again. If anyone has anything else to add please let me know!

I have to agree with previous statements dont get another undegrad. You will just be wasting your time. Start working but dont limit yourself to summer stocks. Look at shop work, production houses, cruise ships and touring. Also start reading the industry magazines like LSA to get an idea of trends in the industry to get a good idea of where you need to focus on to build your strengths. It will also help you get an idea of the direction you should go to focus on said strength building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back