Question about intelligent fixture..Please Help!!

Hey guys,
I'm thinking about investing in one intelligent fixture..(I have a very tight budget) and this is just for my "lighting lab" in my basement. I was thinking about getting a mirror scanner (it's the only thing I can afford).

First of all; are these prone to breaking and not worth the investment? I was thinking of getting the Instigator 2.0 it's an Eliminator product..Anyone ever used it? Is it any good?

Here's the link:
E-136 2.0 Instigator 2.0

Oh, and I am running DMX, so it wouldn't just be used in "DJ mode"

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Looks cheap and like it would break fairly quickly. The only thing Eliminator that I buy is their little mini strobes (E105) for use en masse. I'd pick up either a VEI Novascan V-250-1 or a Chauvet Intimidator 2.0. you can pick up a Novascan from CB user BillESC, and the best place for the Intimidators is probably eBay. You can get the HTI version of the Intimidator on Cheaplights (sold as the Vector 150) for $248, and that's a bit brighter as it has the HTI lamp.

Chauvet is 3 pin DMX. As covered in many threads, currently pins 4 & 5 on the 5 pin connectors are not used anyway. Plenty of adapters out there. (1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4&5 nc)

If it's only for fun in the basement and to get used to DMX and Mover/Scanners, then even the cheap one will probably fit the bill. If it fails, it won't wreck a show. Chances are it will last until long after you are bored with it!

Yeah, so I think I'll see what I can get used, because you're right, it's just for my basement. ;) So I don't need anything that good..Just something that will work.

The brand is relatively low quality (as compared to High End or Vari, etc.), but considering you're buying it more to learn and not take it on a world tour, it's fine.

Scanners, especially those with the "girder" arm such as Product - MX-4 (Discontinued) had the perception of being less durable. I've used some girder arm scanners (American DJ, Martin, etc.) and didn't find that to be the case.

If you want to learn about lights, you're heading in the right direction -- trying stuff. Other suggestions would be to try and intern/get hired at a production company, volunteering, etc. depending on your age and access to transportation.

If your goal is teaching applications, you might look at the Chauvet MiNSpot. It is a neat little fixture, not very bright, but it has RGB color mixing, gobos, pan and tilt. I don't know what features are must haves for you, but the MiNSpot is a neat little toy.

I agree with icewolf on the Chauvet MINspot cool little fixture. Not bad for a basement application. I used one in a haunted house project to make light look like it was passing bay doors on an elevator (it was very dark so it worked) but it was dependable and has some cool features for the price. Lens has a manual focus however don't expect to have any remote control over that..

The MINspots are nice, but still too high in price...We're talking around 150 or less to spend. :oops:

..so I know I won't be able to get anything that good..just something that will work for my needs.

For more info on the MiN Spot check out this thread: MiN Spot
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back