Question About PS 300

DChead921

So my theater has a PS 300 on its front of house electric. But there are two fixtures in the front of house, so we just use one PS 300 for both. Anyways, we just got evaluated and they asked us to get another one and we don't have that kind of money. What I want to know is does the PS 300 send both power and a signal to the light. If so then because our lights also have a stage pin connector & we could just send a DMX cable straight to each light without a PS 300, so do we really need the PS 300? Thanks for taking time to read this, also go easy on me. I'm new to this.

http://www.wybron.com/stage-lightin...s/20300-300W-stage-lighting-power-supply.html
Here's our specific one.

I'm not really understanding your application. The PS-300 is a 24v power supply, commonly used to power color scrollers, gobo rotators, etc. It doesn't power lights, except in some cases where I have seen PSU's for LED fixtures. Since you claim that your fixtures have a stage pin connector, I'm going to guess that this is not the case here.

Wild guess:
I guess you could have Wybron Nexeras. Apparently (via quick Google search and a bit of assumption) the stage pin connector provides dimmed power to the lamp while the PS-300 sends data and 24 volts to the logic board and color mixing motors.

In that case, no, you cannot remove the PS-300 unless you are okay with losing the ability to do any color mixing or really control anything other than the intensity of the fixture, which is provided by the dimming system.

Now, a single PS-300 (300 watts) will power up to eight (8) tungsten or six (6) CDM Nexera's. Who is asking for more PS-300's and why?

These are Nexeras. Is this what you have?
http://www.jimonlight.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/nexera_profile_and_wash1.png

Sorry, this is the most detail I can give with the info provided.

Last edited:
I am a little confused as to what you are trying to provide power and data to. Is the power supply for scrollers, or gobo rotators, or what other device? The power supply provides both DMX Data and 24V power to accessories.
Use caution when purchasing 4 pin power supplies, as there are differences between some of the manufacturers and the pinout, and you wouldn't want to purchase the wrong variety inadvertently. IIRC, Chroma-Q, Coloram and Morpheus all have different varieties of pinouts.
What lights are you trying to use/what are you trying to achieve??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back