Question about running sound/lights for theater

What are the basic rules of running the sound/ light board for theater? What are some good things to ask? I want to make it seem as though I know what I'm doing.

What are the basic rules of running the sound/ light board for theater?
There are no 'rules' and your situation may be vastly different from someone else's, so broadly applying any guidelines or generalities can only go so far. It is also difficult to address such a very general question in a forum environment.

What are some good things to ask?
That depends on the application, your background and experience, who you are asking, etc. Maybe you could start the ball rolling by telling us a bit about what you are trying to do, the situation, yourself and so forth.

I want to make it seem as though I know what I'm doing.
Wouldn't knowing what you are doing be a better goal than just making it seem as though you do?

Although this question is about as broad as can be in a setting like this, I agree. You should spend your time to actually learn how to do what it is you are looking to do. Any advice offered to make you seem to know more than you do, would be a disservice to both yourself and what ever group you are working with.

There are some fantastic resources here such as the Wiki and old threads, but nothing substitues for actual knowlege. The more work you can do in your area of interest (especially under the guidance of a seasoned technician) the more you will learn. It is a process.

~Dave

So, to answer your question, one of the basic rules is --

* Know what you're doing.

And if you don't, try to find someone who does and who can mentor you through the process.

And unless there are other issue/motives at hand, I would suggest letting whoever is in charge know what your level of knowledge and experience is so their expectations will be set accordingly ... and maybe they can locate additional help and resources for you.

-- John

Don't try to pretend you know what you're doing if you don't actually know what you're doing. If you tell the group (I'm assuming community theatre here) that you're keen to learn, I'm sure they'll be keen to teach you. I do some pro-bono work for the local community group here, and one of the biggest things they lack is people qualified to run tech. If your group is in a similar position, I'm sure they would welcome you with open arms. As I always told new volunteers at the community theatre, 'no previous experience necessary: Enthusiasm will do nicely.'

!g

My Self-imposed "rules"

1) To be early is to be on time, on time to be late, to be late to owe the rest of the crew.

2) KISS - Keep it Simple, Stupid (Don't overcomplicate)

3) Test, Don't Guess

4) Never ASSUME... I think you know where that one goes.

5) If you don't know how to do it, or are not sure, then ASK SOMEONE WHO KNOWS FIRST!!!! Or Just DON'T DO IT.

6) If you are doing something for the first few times, and there is someone who knows how to do it present, always ask them to check your work.

7) Less is More!!!!!!!

8) Treat the people you work with right at all times, even if you don't like them.

9) Be Safe at all times (Sometimes this can be hard). Always go with the safer route

10) If you drop something from height, you owe the people below. If you don't call it out, you owe the people below a beer, if you hit them you owe them a case. (This one has earned me some beer! Good thing I am safe and only had to give out two beers once).

Re: !g

Well, I guess by now you have learned that anyone who tells you to always operated a light board and/or mixing console a specific way, because it is the best way, is in a situation similar to yourself. In other words, they are trying to "ACT" like they know what they are talking about. If you believe that we can tell you in a few paragraphs what you need to know about theater light and sound. You are going to be disappointed.

What you should do in this forum is use the search function to look up topics that may interest you. Many basic topics have been covered with many different opinions. Remember, opinions are like rear ends..... every one has one and they can sometimes stink.

This is good stuff. With my crew, we say that the show starts when we arrive at the venue, and everything we do, how we act, how we treat others, and the quality of our work, is all part of the performance, and only when we step outside the venue, are we not a part of this "show".

My Self-imposed "rules"

1) To be early is to be on time, on time to be late, to be late to owe the rest of the crew.

2) KISS - Keep it Simple, Stupid (Don't overcomplicate)

3) Test, Don't Guess

4) Never ASSUME... I think you know where that one goes.

5) If you don't know how to do it, or are not sure, then ASK SOMEONE WHO KNOWS FIRST!!!! Or Just DON'T DO IT.

6) If you are doing something for the first few times, and there is someone who knows how to do it present, always ask them to check your work.

7) Less is More!!!!!!!

8) Treat the people you work with right at all times, even if you don't like them.

9) Be Safe at all times (Sometimes this can be hard). Always go with the safer route

10) If you drop something from height, you owe the people below. If you don't call it out, you owe the people below a beer, if you hit them you owe them a case. (This one has earned me some beer! Good thing I am safe and only had to give out two beers once).

Be it audio or lighting, if you miss a cue, don't grab the fader and shove it up as fast as you can. Do it quickly but smoothly, so it's not as jarring to the audience or the performers.

(The spell check on this site does not know the word fader!)

Be it audio or lighting, if you miss a cue, don't grab the fader and shove it up as fast as you can. Do it quickly but smoothly, so it's not as jarring to the audience or the performers.

(The spell check on this site does not know the word fader!)

When you don't get a compliment or complaint, you know you've done your job right. Most things in lighting/sound should be seamless, never drawing un-due attention to the lighting or sound (unless specifically desired).

...make that rule eleven :p

The best technician is the one that when everything is going down the toilet, keeps his/her calm, never panics and moves though addressing the problem or working around it in an orderly and controlled fashion. When you start flying around the theatre like the proverbial chicken, you start making small mistakes, putting yourself or others in danger, or just looking like you messed up or don't know what you are doing.

The best technician is the one that when everything is going down the toilet, keeps his/her calm, never panics and moves though addressing the problem or working around it in an orderly and controlled fashion. When you start flying around the theatre like the proverbial chicken, you start making small mistakes, putting yourself or others in danger, or just looking like you messed up or don't know what you are doing.

oh how often i have told under techs this but still they seem to find the most obvious thing...

Most of the time if your doing lights or sound in a show you really don't have too much to do with the rest of the crew *at least thats how it is in our theater* your number 1 job in lighting is making sure that when an actor messes up a line you know how to either read what they are going to do next or know how to do a black out smoothly to move on if its far enough in the scene... in other words; KNOW THE SHOW!

To use an example, I had a gig a few months back now and the power supply on the console carked it. We managed to fiddle things around and my 40 channel desk sat dormant and the show ran on a combination of a 2ch mixer for voice and a house PA for the vocals - this was a conference centre. Was it pretty, definitely not. Did the general audience notice it? No. Were things much better the 2nd day of the conference with console back online... definitely.

Know your limitations and admit when you don't know things... Sure try stuff out when time permits and under suitable guidance - practical learning is far more effective than textbooks...

don't watch the board, watch the stage
pepole tend to look at the board when they are executing a cue. but it is hard to see what is happening on stage when you are looking a screen full of numbers.

My Self-imposed "rules"

I agree with all of your rules except for this one. Newcomers need to really be taught that dropping something from height is a pretty major blunder since it can almost 99% of the time be prevented with proper safety measures. Sure, everyone makes mistakes sometimes, but I count this as something between bad and inexcusable. Maybe I'm a bit harsh, but dropping anything from height is a pretty big no-no in my book.

...but dropping anything from height is a pretty big no-no in my book.

Agreed mostly. Even worse is if one neglects to call heads.

The exception is where something like a cable is being deliberately dropped calmly and with a heads warning beforehand and a clear fall zone... Until you know what you are doing that one is likely better avoided...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back