Questions on Smart Move

JChenault

I am using an Apollo Smart Move gobo rotator and am noticing some strange behavior. I am trying to find out if there is an issue with this unit, or if this is 'Just the Way it Works'.

1 - When I set the unit to '01' ( CW Rotation) and turn on the power - it rotates CCW for approximately 2 seconds - then reverses and rotates CW. When I set it to '02' ( CCW Rotation) it does not change direction, but changes speed after the same time period ( approximately 2 seconds). This change in direction occurs when it is plugged directly into 110v power - or when running on a dimmer. I have not tested the speed change on CCW on a dimmer, but I have seen it with 110v power. I can also hear the motor make a different sound in those first two seconds of operation.

2. My understanding was that I could run the wall wart on a dimmer to control the speed of the rotation. When I do this, the speed is erratic. Every so often it speeds up to full speed ( as set by the speed control on the unit) then ramps back down again.

Any ideas if this is a defect or a feature?

John Chenault

Good afternoon John,

The Smart Move rotator will spin during the 'homing sequence' to verify the position of the rare earth magnet, located within the gobo holder on the 'box' side of the unit. This homing sequence is similar to that performed by moving lights, scrollers, etc.

A black potentiometer 'speed knob' has been built within the unit, to deter from running the 600mA wall-wart transformer on a dimmed circuit. Wall-wart transformers really don't hold up well when fed a midified sine wave, as indicated within the Smart Move manual...

A black potentiometer 'speed knob' has been built within the unit, to deter from running the 600mA wall-wart transformer on a dimmed circuit. Wall-wart transformers really don't hold up well when fed a midified sine wave, as indicated within the Smart Move manual...

If that is the case then how does GAM make the TwinSpin so that it can be dimmed:
GAM Website said:
TwinSpin's™ compact 6-step power supply may be plugged into any 120VAC outlet (220V also available) to rotate patterns at 6-speed choices. It may also be controlled by any dimmer to stop, start, and vary the speed. The power supply is connected to the unit with a hard-wired 6 foot cord, and no additional cables are needed for the variable speed TwinSpin™.

As you've accurately pointed out, the GAM wall-wart CAN be operated with a dimmer. This rotator also uses a brushless motor rather than a stepper motor. The Apollo wall-wart CAN be operated on a dimmer also, but the modified/chopped sine wave will render the unit inoperable, shortening its life. The stepper motor used in the Smart Move allows precision stepping (positioning of the gobo at varying pre-programmed positions) and, like that of a moving light, does not like modified/chopped sine waves.

This may be an overly simplified example, but:
All five speeds within the transmission of a vehicle are recommended for use for highway driving, but if the driver wants to drive in second gear only, he CAN. Granted, the life of the transmission (and perhaps other components) will wear out prematurely.

As you've accurately pointed out, the GAM wall-wart CAN be operated with a dimmer. This rotator also uses a brushless motor rather than a stepper motor. The Apollo wall-wart CAN be operated on a dimmer also, but the modified/chopped sine wave will render the unit inoperable, shortening its life. The stepper motor used in the Smart Move allows precision stepping (positioning of the gobo at varying pre-programmed positions) and, like that of a moving light, does not like modified/chopped sine waves.

However - if I operate the Apollo wall-wart on a dimmer, I cannot dependably and reliably control the speed of the rotator. So the Apollo gives me some fancier move patterns, but to do that gives up simple speed control. Is this correct or am I still in the woods?

John

Speed control is fully adjustable by using the speed knob located on the side of the Smart Move. Unlike the 6 speeds mentioned by the example icewolf raised, the Smart Move has a full range of speeds from 0 to 21 RPM.

So the Apollo gives me some fancier move patterns, but to do that gives up simple speed control.
It looks like with the basic Smart Move, you only have Local speed control, but you don't have Remote speed control (through a dimmer). It seems like if you need to change what the rotator is doing throughout the show (speed or other effects,) then the DMX version would be a better choice.

-Fred

does anybody know if there is a user manual for the Smart Move (not the DMX) on line?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back