R40 vs. MR16 strips

Thanks @STEVETERRY and @ship . Yesterday I ordered a couple ceramic twist nuts to try (about 15 NSI made ones), since the lights are moving vertically on rigging and will not be traveling around in a trailer etc.
The butt splices may be the way to go as they seem to be more economical than the ceramic twist ons. $10 for a pack of 100 butt splices (+$13-20 for the tape) vs $50+ for 100 ceramic twist ons.

Fair enough in consideration done and hope I did not offend Steve. Not the method I would do or recommend but a method you chose that has been in use for over a hundred years now in splicing high temp.

Make sure those wire nuts are tight even if not traveling about. If you find slipage when tight and it going more in twisting - take it off, figure out if you broke strands, re-terminate or (assuming twisted together wire can be of debate and shouldn't always be done - my opinion for this case.) Start over in leaving some strains longer in stripping, fold back the strands so as to make a larger package inside the wire nut. Re-try. "Good enough" is not a wire nut you can still twist with effort. Do a pull test on the conductors after terminated to ensure none pull out. Also do the strain relief an inch below the wire nut with the high temp. tape or high temp. wire tie. Taping over the wire nut should make you suspicious in a never do. It might help prevent it from coming un-done, but should also make the next person seeing it suspicious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back