Radial Leko / MR-16 Fixture

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Did it tonight. Finally did the Leko to MR-16 conversion. At least the prep for it. Dead lamp and not enough time to play with bench focus and lamp choice. A few lamps available at different beam spreads in 120v from 300w to 150w to choose from, initially I'm trying an ENH lamp.

Initial notes:

This aint' easy to do. Box spot to MR-16 is easy given only 90 degree angles, here you have a LCL from the seat plate of the lamp base to the center of the filament of about 5.5/8" but beyond that have to center the filament of the MR-16 lamp which is sort of off axis to the tip ring or base to that of an on=axis say EGE lamp to the base.

Really really difficult to bend that lamp holding bracket to the right distance from the base and to center the lamp on that axis plus say that 30 degree angle the radial Leko has its lamp at to the reflector.

Best way to do such a thing would be with a drafting table or Cadd Cam in doing the optics and drafting out the angles of the bracket to mount the lamp. For the most part hacked together such a bracket tonight. (Huge relief after for 8 hours three or more weeks straight inspecting Mac 2K lamps under a magnifying glass.) Still really really difficult to do. Than the lamp with gimbal ring mount don't persay fit inside the reflector housing short of some twisting it into the fixture.

Still, by the weekend I should be into bench focus of it and have photos. Should work like a charm once adjusted correctly.

Overall, not something easy to do I found out tonight. On the other hand such a MR-16 kit would be easy for a company like Altman to do and sell. Already have the engineering for the fixtures on paper, just a question of drawing in the bracket needed and mounting plate to the old seat plate for the lampholder. Would be great if any such company were to make such an upgrade kit with a mounting plate that mounted directly by way of the P-28s (medium pre-foucus lampholder) mounting holes already on the fixture. Unscrew old lampholder, mount new upgrade bracket and done. This given I heard recently of a Fresnel that had a new lampholder mounted to it and the filament was once locked into place ninty degrees off where it should be. INteresting to hear of in me not looking for this in all the Fresnels recently I wired, simple correction and also something that could be pre-drilled for in any upgrade kit.

Overall a concept of a now again useful radial Leko, mounted with a MR-16 lamp 120v 300 thru say 150 Watt would be cool to just buy the upgrade kit for. (No doubt once complete I'll put a bug in Altman's ear on that.)

Beyond that, while the Grand Stage Leko mentioned elsewhere that I'm working with is a cool fixture and I love the springs under the tri-screw bench focus plate, it's a really hard fixture to work with in doing this added to the difficulty of bending that Gimbal Ring mounting bracket.

Chatted with a friend at a lamp manufacturer today about this. Says as with my boss that I have way too much free time on my hands. No interest, and this concept is probably admidditly like 20 years too late. Still there it is and out there in a can be done type way.

Innitial thought was to present it to Altman as a fixture upgrade type thing they could sell, than I had a thought of, why change the lampholder, why not make a MR-16 fixture with medium pre-focus lamp base that would simply quarter turn into an existing fixture? Above no interest from the manufacturer but where I'm now headed with this project after I get a working lamp and this fixture bench focused in deciding what lamp to use with it. Should be easy enough following the mounting of the base on the plate to further it in taking apart a P-28s base out of a bad lamp and mounting a Juno light fixture to it. Certainly no more difficult than the initial bending of the bracket to center the filament on where it should be with what's in the photo.

Good deal of 120v, 150w to 300w MR-16 lamps out there with different beam spreads, this much less low voltage options and even LED in even color changing LED options out there. First goal is to go 120v in seeing what it would be and potentially finding a direct replacement for less efficiencies in reflectors and lamps, than the sky is the limit once optimized. My thought, imagine what it would be like if suddenly these radial Lekos were again valuable for modern lighting, than after if at least lobby lighting and or props/home use.

Attachments

• 12-19-08 004.jpg
    12-19-08 004.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Heck, I saw a lot of about 12 Altman 360Q caps on ebay for something like $12. for the lot. I say build the retrofits and resell them things!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back