Rainbow lightbox

alyx92

Hi there!

I'm designing a show where I'll have a large (25wx20h) arched lightbox in the shape of a rainbow. The goal is to be able to have it become several solid colors as well as a full rainbow (i.e. traditional ROYGBV strips). My first go to answer was a bunch of DMX controlled LED tape, but that seems to be a little out of budget for us. Any ideas to produce this effect for a reasonable price?

As always, I really appreciate the help!

Hi there!

I'm designing a show where I'll have a large (25wx20h) arched lightbox in the shape of a rainbow. The goal is to be able to have it become several solid colors as well as a full rainbow (i.e. traditional ROYGBV strips). My first go to answer was a bunch of DMX controlled LED tape, but that seems to be a little out of budget for us. Any ideas to produce this effect for a reasonable price?

As always, I really appreciate the help!

Is it possible to do a little more research into the show and come up with a better/more cost efficient option to convey the preliminary design concept? Gobo's at least? I make arches like this, or at least similar stuff professionally and for a living and know how to do it but in no way in a way you post above for how to get it done properly.

-Assuming the arch 25' wide and 20' high, what is the rainbow/fixture arc width assuming depth is flexilble? How wide is your rainbow like two feet, three feet, six inches?
-What in the equivalent of incandescent colored lamp is the desired intensity for the colors in known comparable wattage/output?
-RGB LED tape doesn’t easily bend in curves and around 16' is the normal tape length. Means a lot of tape, power supplies and encoders.
-What’s the budget?
-How much time to you have?
-How many people do you have to fabricate and what’s their skill level electrically and carpentry, as with rigging and metal working as might be needed?
-Does this rainbow have to fly, and or how is it constructed and rigged? Is it off the ground in power supplies on the floor in added costs to rig them also?
-How long is the production run?
-How distinct does the rainbow have to be in clear colors of the rainbow without bleed?
-What’s the throw distance to the mid-section of the audience at about 5' high?
-Of the six colors in the rainbow above, how many do you need to use as per solid color of the arch?

Initial thoughts:
-Bending Plywood channels or at least bent luan six separate channels with a frosted lens. Could be gel in heavy frost or silk but the long rolls of Cinema Gel for less seams. This if not huge costs in frosted or better yet white plastic to front the image.
-Possible to rent something LED panel pixel mapped and control board to do this? Have to fab some mounts or rent extra in making the arch, than perhaps scrim/mask the not-used section of panels.
-I assume RGB rope light won’t be sufficient in intensity within a light box?
-Also assume doing separate circuits inside each color channel of light color in the arch with separate colored incandescent lamps per circuit needed won’t work or be much more cost effective in wiring properly?
-Huge project to attempt.

Best options perhaps available given your described concerns about being able to afford RGB LED tape, and if you have that concern...$40K would be a low bare bones at cost bid in parts and labor. Above other options perhaps - RGB rope light or separate circuits of incandescent colored lamps within six channels of rainbow, but even them if output is high enough, would be a few thousand in parts.

Assuming the light box concept, especially if only one production isn’t perhaps cost effective, Cheapest would be to project the rainbow and solid colors with dichroic gobos onto a white matt prop like arch. Than gobo with dichroic or gell filters for the solid arch. Leko’s lights with donuts and extenders with tophats to refine the image. This assuming you have the hanging positions and lights to designate as "specials" so as to get this done. That and it will take a lot of leg work so as to design the gobos for the throw distance. A lot of leg work in general and your beam won’t be sharp as per a rainbow but might work with effort.
Renting a scene machine or two and three otherwise could project the rainbow or solid color arch, but there would be a lot of bleed in colors also, but dependant on the fixture or moving light, at least you would be able to have one or two fixtures do it and be controlled by the light board. This as opposed to one Leko per use on the arch color which also demands more room to mount them and a lot of time to focus perfectly.
Projecting the rainbow short of pixel mapped LED gear is perhaps your most cost effective option, but would take a lot of engineering. Way back when - like 20 years ago, I made a rainbow out of 30 or 40 pinspots - all the lights I had left to design with. Won’t go into that.

Assuming the light box concept, especially if only one production isn’t perhaps cost effective, Cheapest would be to project the rainbow and solid colors with dichroic gobos onto a white matt prop like arch. Than gobo with dichroic or gell filters for the solid arch. Leko’s lights with donuts and extenders with tophats to refine the image. This assuming you have the hanging positions and lights to designate as "specials" so as to get this done. That and it will take a lot of leg work so as to design the gobos for the throw distance. A lot of leg work in general and your beam won’t be sharp as per a rainbow but might work with effort.

That looks like a good way to go. They've apparently got the labor and carps to make it happen, they just don't want to throw a huge amount of money at this rainbow. Thanks for the great response!

If of more help, here might be more info on where to go next steps, and another solution - rear projection. Also got me generating more thoughts now on how I might do it on the cheap from the rear projection as a better solution yet if you have the depth of stage and scene shop.

First on the custom gobos, these will be custom so I would recommend you get your gobo/gel supplier vendor rep. out to your location ASAP, and perhaps hang a drop or do some form of plywood or office space wall where your rainbow will be located. Just a solid upstage wall to measure from. In the show, a flat cyc or wall to project on would than be best if script doesn’t require talent to go upstage of it which is a further problem also with the below concept.

On projecting the image, (Apollo and ETC help here) there will be very specific angles and measurements that will be needed to figure out in designing the gobo - too large a projection for just one gobo unless say a very wide focus Leko rented could do it... but I have no idea how well it might project the image. This is something your vendor rep. is paid to know or figure out. In other words, what’s the widest beam spread current to a S-4 Leko and how well can it project a rainbow on your size of rainbow? Can you get it into a hanging position even with side arm so as to attain the throw distance? I would assume a single Leko projecting the image would be the most viable solution and actual dimensions of the arc can be downscaled a little, or if you do two or more projections, how well do they match up thru the run in perhaps needing a re-focus, but might be necessary. After that a question of in getting that beam spread, at what angle is it in talent moving about the stage this projected image effecting for potentially needing more lights to project it?

Will take specific measurements and math to figure out the exact gobo to use, one dichroic for the colors, than another perhaps cheaper metal for gelling after for the solid colors. Your vendor rep. again is the best person to help design this gobo once location of the Leko(s) is determined. Dichroics will pop better but other than for the rainbow which will probably be necessary, simple gel in the frames would work.

Onto the other idea:
Don’t know when you need to be solid color verses rainbow in the show’s needs, but if you have the upstage space of say a few at least four feet or more to shoot at the rainbow from the rear, it might solve problems of projecting the image properly or talent shadowing the image.

Consider instead of a light box, one similar to above channeled for the six colors but with an open back and front. Tough to fabricate but possible six parallel arches to make. I’m thinking sheet metal/flashing inner louvers and plywood outsides for structure. Smaller in depth sheet metal/flashing spacers to keep the sheet metal parallel. The spacers would need to be flush to the rear and have a small bend on their rear so as to mount the most economy velcro you can get, than dirty the Velcro up.

Build an upstage wall around the arch so stray light doesn’t get out from upstage other than thru the rainbow. Velcro the plywood arch outer walls on the rear also. Dirty it up also so it doesn’t stick well in holding too much for sufficient for easy removal, but sufficient to hold gel hung on it. A heat gun might be able to do this most easily but R&D would have to be done in perhaps a sander with fine grit would work also. You now have the rear of the light box able to mount a large arch scroll of gel’s - the rainbow or solid colors which once cut and taped together would get the reverse side of the Velcro. You tend especially on Velcro to wood and metal to want to add a better epoxy or super glue spot of glue to it in reinforcing the adhesive of the Velcro. Something that especially on end grains of plywood would sink into the end grains for holding. Pneumatic M crown staple reinforce also so it sinks in but has a large enough surface area to prevent tear out on the plywood.

Would take ambition and a decent metal worker to make the spacers on a bench vise, lots of rivets etc. Can be done as a concept. No idea of how much gel it would take, but you make rolls of arch gel to velcro to the rear of the light box for what color or colors it will be. Roll on/roll off would now be the challenge. If blackout between scenes and a fly system... think it’s an Olieo upstage you would bring down between upstage and downstage so as to let the lights upstage allow stage hands to gel change between scenes to be rolled out or removed.

That’s where you need at least a 4' gap between true upstage and the new wall. At least 2' for a PAR 64 wide focus to be mounted on a arched arbor at about 45 degrees lower or higher to the light box, and some room for beam spread and stage hands to change gel. 45 degrees or so you minimize hot spots, I would go higher in angle rather than lower in considering the audience and mounting

So now you have a rear projection of what ever PAR 64 wide figured on, but really what ever you have or can get light out of in your now upstage light box. Change rear gels to change the color given the light box channels. Ton of PAR 38 or what ever including fluorescent lights store bought as long as you get a high CRI. Such lights would be useful otherwise and save at least 12" of room upstage. Keep the arc curve in projection, though flourescents in already frosted would want direct projection as possible.

Ok... long above, got the rear gel done but have not addressed the front of the rainbow. As described above, could gel it, could white plexiglass or other medium of plastic do it. White in plastic for some reason seems to work best over frost I have tried many times in R&D. White painted for all louvers and interior parts. Lenses and interior white. Simple spraying day if doing so also for the front lens.

One could Suran wrap or pallet shrink wrap the entire front lens of this light box if furring strips to keep it the structure in ready to ready to do. Apply and attach so it dont' peel off. This with perhaps glue of some sort. Something to keep this clear but stretchable front lens stretch to the arch material from coming loose. Than once the clear lens, could simply spray paint or paint the plastic lens white - front or rear, shouldn’t matter but I would R&D that. Scrap scrim or thin drapery material could also work in passing the colored light. .

Presented is a concept in if you have upstage room, might be able to do this.
PS. if say a PAR 64 or other gel frame fixture projecting light, you perhaps only need to have a rainbow gel scroll to mount or remove. Can just gel the lighting fixtures also in gaining that solid color to the arch/rainbow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back