Renting Lights

A cable is easy. I'd build one for you, but the shipping would be more than the parts.

Ask around, anyone with minimal soldering skills could do it.

Sounds like this facility has about the same capacity as the space I get to do lighting in. 12 20A dimmers, patched to circuits with NEMA L5-15 outlets. My control board has 2 scenes. Each circuit has two outlets located so the circuit can provide both sides of a McCandless method front light system.

I'd love a cheap way to control the dimmers from a computer. I've thought about building a converter from LED controllers that take DMX signal and output PWM. I might need raise the voltage of the PWM, then the right arrangement of capacitors and resistors should be able to smooth out pulse into 0-10V to control the dimmers.

The problem with your plan to use a LED controller to take DMX to analog is that all of these are positive common instead of negative common required for standard 0-10 analog.

I'm confident about soldering the cable, but it's hard to find the connector. There are bunch on eBay but a lot are across the country.

There are some at http://www.electronicplus.com/content/ProductPage.asp?maincat=wc&subcat=wci for a reasonable price but they are in your words " across the country". I think the US Postal Service still delivers to the Boston area. You can have it in 1 or 2 days if you really need it! I would also try emailing the service/parts department at Leprecon for the complete cables or just the connectors. The last time I needed sliders, knobs, and connectors for their products the prices were fair and they supplied them quickly with no minimum order.

So finally some good news!!

I talked to a guy who has worked with us and in the space before. He said there should be a DMX to analog adapter and went I went to find it, it was there!! This means we will be able to rent a light board for the play.

Obviously go with something you know, but I recommend the Express. Great old board that can rent cheap these days, and perfect for all-conventional rigs (IMHO).

So I picked up lights today. Got 4 Source 4 19 degrees, and 4 26 degrees. Also got a Leprecon 612 light board. We are going to be hanging them tomorrow!

Also, does anyone have any tips for hanging on a vertical bar? I've hung lights on a horizontal, but never vertical.

Ask your lighting vendor to provide one STSA per light; should be an additional $1 or $2 per week, but well worth it in the time it saves during focus.
proxy.php

Even with a converter you'd need a way to connect it to the dimmer - so it doesn't really solve the problem of not having the cable.
It would seem that the choice is really to fix the problem 9build or buy cables) or just do the show and rent the cables. We (DesignLab Chicago) probably still have some 8-pin C-J cable hiding in the corners of the basement and I imagine that other rental shops do also. Rental should be dirt cheap since these cables are not - well - in high demand these days. It's a rugged connector but after extensive use you may need to tape connectors together. The cable is usually just an 8 conductor, 18 Ga. wire, unshielded and usually with a PVC jacket. With only 12 channels just using the analog control may just be the easiest/best way to go. And those dimmers - you could do most anything to the Leprecon dimmers and they always worked - old tech but well engineered

There's no real point in renting a sidearm to hang lights on verticals, unless you want to hang the lights a little bit off the pipe. Just clamp to the pipe normally. If you need help holding up the light as you tighten the clamp, rest it on your shoulder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back