Replacing a Dimmer system

Hey, I'm looking into replacing our dimming system in our black box venue. Honestly, I have no idea where to start. At the moment, we have a Topaz. It has 7 dimmers, 20A ea. I'd like something more permenant for the space, with more dimmers.
As I said, I really have no clue what I need. I've looked through the ETC website and at a couple of catalogues, but whats the difference between them?
Any help would be appriciated.
Thanx
Tabi

Since you won't be doing the work yourself, the process you need to take is identifying your needs. Then, after you have a certain level of understanding of your needs, then you can make certain assumptions for what your future needs may be. One thing to consider is, do you really need to change your dimming system, or might you want to consider LED fixtures? While these instruments are not inexpensive, as compared to all the work involved in upgrading a dimming system, it may be in the best interest of the facility in the long run.

If you are looking to replace your dimmers, what power situation do you currently have in the space? How many fixtures do you anticipate needing to run at any given time? How many separate dimmers do you require? How are those dimmers distributed throughout your space? What level of control do you have?

What kinds of questions do you have about the systems you are considering?

All great advice for starting point. I personally prefer ETC Products over Strand. My preferance is based on Tech support. ETC is GREAT with any detail form the stupid 'really that's what it was' to a major system failure with quick, friendly response. Strand has been difficult to get through, then difficult to get help from a knowledgeable person. Once you know what you have, and what you want, please consider putting ETC at the top of your list.

All great advice for starting point. I personally prefer ETC Products over Strand. My preferance is based on Tech support. ETC is GREAT with any detail form the stupid 'really that's what it was' to a major system failure with quick, friendly response. Strand has been difficult to get through, then difficult to get help from a knowledgeable person. Once you know what you have, and what you want, please consider putting ETC at the top of your list.

My career has given me quite the opposite impression...
Granted, I'm working with some seriously aging Strand product combined with some of the most recent... But that's immaterial here... Their support team, and my dealer network, have always been there when I need them, an email or a phone call away...
Hell, I even had one of the product engineers on the phone talking me through re-birthing a dead control card prior to curtain one night.
I love Strand's product, and I love their support.

I'm not saying that you've not had a bad experience with Strand... And I'm sorry that you have...
But I'm certainly saying I've had a stellar experience with them in all the venue's I've ever worked.

Oh, I've had hiccups over the years, certainly... Dead piece of gear X, trouble finding part Y, but with a company history as long and sordid as Strand's, that's bound to happen.

We need more Strand or Leviton or Lightronics or Who-Knows-What houses out there.
Competition breeds innovation... Look at Microsoft... Some of their best innovations have come in the years since Apple and Google became powers to reckon with.
That last thing our industry needs is stagnation.

My 2c (Canadian... So that's currently like 2.04c US)

I've got to second that the support and people that ETC has in my opinion outweighs any other company. They've gone out of their way without even having me ask to help me and give me things to help out. I'm sold on the products and dimmers and the support keeps me coming back for more. I agree that we need strand and other companies, but personally they don't usually get my money.

We need more Strand or Leviton or Lightronics or Who-Knows-What houses out there.
Competition breeds innovation... Look at Microsoft... Some of their best innovations have come in the years since Apple and Google became powers to reckon with.
That last thing our industry needs is stagnation.

My 2c (Canadian... So that's currently like 2.04c US)

The issue is, ETC has been innovating, there is only so much you can do with a dimmer. I'm not going to get into a huge manufacture debate, but it seems as if ETC is the only one attempting to bring new products to the forefront.

Just to throw more gas on the fire...

The OP's Leviton Topaz dimmers are an updated version of the Colortran ENR series. Immediately after designing the ENR for Colortran, David Cunningham designed Sensor for ETC. I'd submit that there's nothing wrong with the existing dimmers that can't be fixed (if need be), for much less than the cost of new dimmers.

... At the moment, we have a Topaz. It has 7 dimmers, 20A ea. ...
Are you sure (dimmers usually come in multiples of six or twelve)? Is the existing a dimmer pack or dimmer rack?

The issue is, ETC has been innovating, there is only so much you can do with a dimmer. I'm not going to get into a huge manufacture debate, but it seems as if ETC is the only one attempting to bring new products to the forefront.

Without wanting to get into the same manufacturer debate, I submit IGBT Dimming...
While the jury is still out on whether SineWave (ETC Sensor) or IGBT (Strand's current x21 Series/Older Entertainment Tech/Genlyte Products) is actually "better" than the other, they are both generally agreed to be a step ahead of SCR/SSR based dimming.

Everyone obviously has a personal preference, but we should all be able to step back and not force that bias on others.

Just to throw more gas on the fire...

The OP's Leviton Topaz dimmers are an updated version of the Colortran ENR series. Immediately after designing the ENR for Colortran, David Cunningham designed Sensor for ETC. I'd submit that there's nothing wrong with the existing dimmers that can't be fixed (if need be), for much less than the cost of new dimmers.

Of that, I was not aware...
I'm a great fan of the ENR series... They're **** near bulletproof in my experience... The OP would do well to perhaps look into repair and/or supplementation rather than straight out replacement.

I'm a great fan of the ENR series... They're **** near bulletproof in my experience...

ENR is a pretty good dimmer. The best part is they smile at ya!

No really, they are good though. I've seen some get neglected for years and just keep on truckin'.

Last edited:
I've never been able to understand why Colortran ditched the D192 and went with the ENR series. Does anyone know why? If they felt it was somehow outdated, why didn't they just update it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back