Loudspeakers Replacing damaged woofers

Alex281

I have two Samson Resound HD10 PA cabinets with blown woofers. I would like to replace the woofer myself, but i'm not sure exactly what replacements to buy. If the cabinets total impedance is 8 Ohms, then should I buy an 8 Ohm woofer? Same for the power ratings, if the cabinet is rated for 150w RMS, then do I buy a replacement woofer that is rated for 150w RMS. I'll paste the original specs for the speaker below. I'd love to get specific recommendations if you have them!

-Alex

LF Driver Size 10"
HF Driver Size 1"
Power Rating (Program) 150W
Peak Power Capacity 300W
Impedance 8 Ohms
Frequency Range 60Hz-19khz
Crossover Frequency 2.5kHz
Maximum Peak SPL 116dB
Horizontal Coverage Angle 90 Degrees
Vertical Coverage Angle 60 Degrees
Enclosure Material MDF
Mounting Options Pole Mount, Floor Wedge
Inputs 1 x Speakon, 1 x TS
Outputs 1 x Speakon, 1 x TS
Height 24.4"
Width 17.44"
Depth 15.47"
Weight 29.5 lbs
Manufacturer Part Number SARS10HD

Speaker cabinets are usually designed for a particular speaker. I'd contact the manufacturer for repair or replacement. Usually, repair is cheaper, but since the whole speaker is only $150 it might not be economical.

Have you figured out what caused the failures? I wouldn't trust this speaker with much more power than the 150W program rating.

I'll call Samson and see what they charge for the replacement parts.
I'm not 100% sure what happened but I have a good idea. These speakers are used with a Samson XM910 powered mixer. 900w total power, 450 per channel. The last time they were used and working was for vocals for a small student rock band outdoors. I wasn't there for that gig, but I'm told that they worked the whole time with no issues. The next time we went to use the speakers (a few months later) they didn't work. I know that amp is more than powerful enough to overdrive the speakers. Is it possible they were overdriven at the outdoor gig but the damage wasn't noticed until they cooled down?

Yep, call up Samson and have them send you a pair of speakers. I would be a bit concerned that they are blown in the first place, though. Do you know what happened so that you don't cook them again?
Agreed, if you don't figure out what caused the failures in the first place and address that then you might want to order more than a pair of replacement drivers as you may soon be replacing them again.

I'd recommend these folks

Attachments

• funny-dog-pictures-sub-woofers.jpg
    funny-dog-pictures-sub-woofers.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 792
Edit: 450W is the 4 ohm rating. 225 is slightly high, but should be OK with the proper HPF (I'd set a 50 Hz HPF).

That's what I get for not reading the spec sheet close enough...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back