Replacing old strip lights

tklein

I work in a high school that is looking to replace the strip lights in the larger of our two theaters. The proscenium is 50' wide, the stage is 40' deep from apron to back wall, and the bottom of the borders is about 17' from the deck. There are 4 electrics, and each originally had 7 Altman R40 strips (6', 4-circuit). The first three rows were for general stage wash (RGBW), and the 4th was used as cyc lights. Three years ago, I was allowed to use money that was left over from a construction project to purchase 7 Color Force 72's to light the cyc (amazing color spectrum & intensity, btw). On the first 3 electrics, we've also taken down an R40 and spread the remaining ones out, in order to have more room for ellipsoidals and other fixtures. We've saved up box office profits for a while and now would like to get rid of the rest of the R40's. I'm trying to keep this portion to ~$20K so we have enough left to also purchase an Ion to replace our Express 48/96 console. I'd like more Color Force's (we had great success with them on the first electric for a show that didn't need the cyc lit), but getting a bunch of those is outside our current budget. We demoed the Chauvet COLORado battens, and think that 6 of the 144's on each of the first two electrics and 6 of the 72's on the third electric would be an acceptable compromise. Our local theatrical supplier is having a sale, and the total would only be $18.8K, leaving me enough for the necessary power and DMX cabling, and the constant current modules for my dimmer rack. What does anybody think? Good idea, not worth it, other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Tim Klein
Hunterdon Central Regional H.S.
Flemington, NJ

When you demo, look closely at the low end dimming 3-10 % range). The less expensive gear tends to cut corners here, with less then desirable results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would forget about strips and look more towards an LED "par" with a 35*-45* beam angle, you'll have to demo some to get closer that that on the right angle for your needs. The lights will still give you a nice wash, while giving you a lot more room to work with on the pipes to hang other lights. They'll also be a lot more flexible when it comes to moving them around for specific shows.

I would forget about strips and look more towards an LED "par" with a 35*-45* beam angle, you'll have to demo some to get closer that that on the right angle for your needs. The lights will still give you a nice wash, while giving you a lot more room to work with on the pipes to hang other lights. They'll also be a lot more flexible when it comes to moving them around for specific shows.
Are there any you've worked with that you like?

In a High School application, you might want to leave a few up there for use as general stage work lighting. (Try to get people not to throw all the stage lighting on because they are spending the afternoon painting a prop.)

Are there any you've worked with that you like?
I have elation led par zooms, they dfyo a great job for the price. Our stage is similar and I use 28. 5 zones across. Back light the DS, front & back on the mid and US areas. The zoom and strobe feature comes in handy. I have the ion board, but have also used them with the express and insight. Patch as fixtures and make macros to grab groups of them on the express.

FWIW, I don't think I'd worry about graduating from an Express unless you're using moving lights.
We are hoping to pick up 2 movers with our share of the profits from the spring musical and the annual talent show (the Music Dept. gets a hefty percentage), but we're also running low on channels now. Currently, each Color Force has to be addressed as a whole. Addressing them in 6" segments for more effects, and adding LED PARs over the stage, is going to require a lot more channels. Since we'll need to be able to control movers within the next year, I figured on getting the console sooner rather than later. Even if we get the movers next fall instead of in the spring, my two students who have used tracking consoles will still be able to learn the details of the Ion and help train the rest before they all have to learn about movers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back