Resume advice. How does this look?

dooglax

Hey all,

I'm a frequent lurker of control booth and rarely post. Big thanks to the community for having such an awesome resource! Its helped me out quite a bit.

So I'm sending in my resume cold to a job posting I found online. It's a touring lighting tech position that implies leading a crew. Attached is my resume I've been working on. How does it look? Any advice to make it better? I'm also planning to write a cover letter; anyone have advice on that?

*edit* Looks like I added a slightly older revision. The line "Act as master electrician for park events and" should read "Act as master electrician for park events and traditional venues" This is the only difference

second edit. My sleepy eyes didn't catch a formatting issue. hopefully I'll catch all these little things before I send it out :p

Attachments

• Douglas Castillo Resume.pdf
    61.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
What stands out as odd to me is your 2-15 years of crew leading experience. If I were you I would just pick a number of years and stick with it. It just strikes me as weird how large of a range that is.

Other than that it seems like a strong resume. As for a cover letter, try to give them the details that aren't reflected in your resume. Describe your leadership positions and how long you have been working with the various lighting systems and tell them why you are the right person for the job. Exude confidence in the cover letter, you can have time to show your humble during the interview. Also, make sure you keep it short. I have heard many cases of people throwing out resumes or cover letters because they are more than a page each.

Thanks for the response! Either I didn't write it clearly enough or you may have misread it, but the 2-15 is the crew size, not years leading.

I changed the line to read "Years of experience leading a crew size of 2-15" Thanks for the catch!

Last edited:
It just a little ambiguous because of the wording. I would go with "Years of experience leading crews of 2-15 technicians." Although it may be a stronger statement if you can say the number of years. The more ambiguous you are with your facts, the less I trust them.

It's a little hard to pin point exactly how many years as the facts are a bit ambiguous. Starting at the age of 14, now 23, its a bit hard to remember. In high school, when I needed some help getting a show ready, I'd ask some fellow students to get what I needed done, but it wasn't truly a 'lead' position. My first 'real' lead position where I was soley responsible for seeing the project form begining to end was at the largest theater at the the theme park I work at last year. Immediately after that project was over, I was brought in as the ME for the largest project the parks lighting crew had ever undertaken, leading our entire crew. This included tech who had been there much longer than me and most of which were older. (the project was part of the multi-million dollar rehab of our most popular ride. New Timber Mountain Log Ride POV 2013 Knott's Berry Farm - YouTube)

I only took a cursory look so please excuse me if I missed it but I did not see any reference to tour experience. If most of your background is house experience then that may be all you have but you might then want to highlight any experience you have working and interfacing with tours and tour crews.

Under "Bethany Church" heading, you misspelled the word "Programmer".

Just being picky...

:)

Never mind....I just found out it could be spelled both ways.

Last edited:
Your last skill says "on man-baskets" should it read one man basket instead of on?

Also to simplify the 2-15 thing I would word it " experienced leading teams as large as 15" or something along those lines. Then you get rid of the confusing variable.

Via tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back