Running mixerless for playback only?

Footer

Senior Team
Senior Team
Premium Member
Hey All,
I am looking at moving to a mixerless configuration for our audio playback. We do not do any type of reinforcement, only playback. I currently have 2 channels FOH and 2 channels onstage for playback. We have a 1st generation 01V that I can pull out if need be, but its starting to show its age. I am looking at using multiplay along with either a firewire or USB M-Audio or Presonus interface. I need at least 4 outputs. So, anyone tried this and how bad did you miss the mixer? I still have a rack full or EQ's and all that fun stuff.

I've seen shows run like this before. One thing to be careful of is having a plan if you either accidently hit a cue early and need to fade or need to fade it early. I don't know if there is an easy way to do that on the fly in multiplay. Other than that there is technically no need for a mixer.

You may be going a bit too far completely eliminating the mixer.
A small rackmount mixer may be just the ticket here.

Lately we've been fond of these:
ML-620e

(BTW, I would be more than happy to come have a look if you want another opinion)

Our current O1V works, its just starting to show its age. None of the EQ/Pan pots work anymore and it is very loud when you recall a preset. It still sounds clean. I could still use it and assign each output of the sound card to each bus and be done with it.

Level control is the biggest reason to have a real mixer before heading straight off to the processor. It's not required, but it is nice to have. I will often use a Shure SCM262 mixer for times when I just need something really simple for a one or two sources. The can be found on ebay for fairly cheap.

Well, for me personally, I'll usually want some for of in-between mixer... whether it's a full-blown desk, or a simple rack mount thing... Mainly for flexibility.
I know you said that you don't do reinforcement... I can't comment if that's a good statement or not, I don't know your venue or productions. However, the one thing that would always concern me, no matter the space, is what to do if somebody has something 'non-traditional'. I use this term to mean anything outside of what you normally use. For example, what if someone hands you a CD or iPod? (For me) having a mixer to serve as a 'go-between' helps with level imbalances, routing assignments, etc. etc...

With all that being said, it may just be more worthwhile to look into a higher-end interface, such as a MOTU Ultralite, which has their 'CueMix FX digital mixer'.

The theatre I work for only produces shows in house. We do not do rentals. Our sound system is not designed for doing reinforcement. Everything we do is rehearsed. There are no one offs. Flexibility is not essential, repeatability is. We own zero microphones. When we do produce musicals, we produce them without mics. There is no desire to bring in wireless mics of any kind.

Sounds like the MOTU option might work for you then.

Also, the "flexibility" allows you a back-up option, if your computer crashes.

Sounds like the MOTU option might work for you then.

Also, the "flexibility" allows you a back-up option, if your computer crashes.

Computers crash? I will probably keep the O1V in the mix but my goal would be to set it and forget it. Very few of our ops have the time to really learn the console and if I can take it out of the loop and just focus on a rather simple piece of software life might get a bit easier.

Computers crash? I will probably keep the O1V in the mix but my goal would be to set it and forget it. Very few of our ops have the time to really learn the console and if I can take it out of the loop and just focus on a rather simple piece of software life might get a bit easier.

Ah, ok.

Well, the MOTU i suggested would be instead of the m-audio or presonus you mentioned... basically what you had in the OP, just a different interface.

And I agree learning digital boards is confusing and frustration at first... that's why I'm glad i learned on the M7...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back