Automated Fixtures Scanners - One Clamp vs. Two

Synchronize

Generally when I hang a larger scanner (an Intellabeam in this case) I hang it perpendicular to the electric or truss (yoke parallel) so that I can use two clamps. I have a show coming up and I'd really like to hang them parallel to the batten so they can stay hidden (for the most part) behind the boarder. That would mean the weight would all be on one clamp. I am using a mega claw so I'm not so worried about the clamp, but the thought still makes me a little uncomfortable. I would, of course, safety it multiple times either way. Any reassurance or warning would be appreciated.

Go for it.
I routinely hang intellabeams (quite heavy) and technobeams (somewhat lighter but still big) on a single clamp. I will say that with moving mirror fixtures there is less chance of the jostling causing movement. If using moving head fixtures, you want to clamp it down tight. You would do that anyway, though.

But looking at it this way - if the yoke has a centre hole for a single clamp, it is likely there for a reason. ;) (Yeah, ok perhaps not...)

Best suggestion RTFM. From page 6 of the Intellabeam 700 HX manual:

Additional Hardware:
In addition to a power source and data cables, you will need heavy duty pipe clamps and safety cables to set up the Intellabeam system. The fixture's yoke is designed so that you can hang the fixture using either one or two clamps. Safety cables are an important part of securely mounting the fixture and are highly recommended.

Most moving light manuals have a short blurb about how to rig the fixture appropriately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back