Vintage Lighting Searching for odd size roundel

FatherMurphy

A local auditorium dating back to the 20’s has a number of architectural lights that use 2 ¾” roundels, a few of which have gone missing over the years. They’re looking for two in blue, with pebbled lens. The originals are stamped "Major Equipment, catalog # 4275".

I talked to Kopp Glass already, they suggested calling some of the old-guard lighting manufacturers to see if they had any old stock in a back room, rather than them pricing out a special run, especially for a small quantity. So far, I haven't gotten any affirmative answers.

Does anyone here know of a possible source?

I could always sell them a couple circles of dichroic, but I'd like to help keep them original, and find them the roundels.

I think we all probably have a few laying around. I know I have many, most being used as ash trays. I can measure them and let you know.

I think we all probably have a few laying around. I know I have many, most being used as ash trays. I can measure them and let you know.

Assuming Vara-Light/Dimatronics/Hub Electric (Old parts Dist.) 6207 Commercial Rd. Crystal Lake, Il. 60014. (815)455-4400 isn't a source, what size is a normal roundel? Can you belt sand it down with a 80 grit belt sander paper rated for sanding glass? What size is the normal size for a roudell and will it fit?

Assuming Vara-Light/Dimatronics/Hub Electric (Old parts Dist.) 6207 Commercial Rd. Crystal Lake, Il. 60014. (815)455-4400 isn't a source, what size is a normal roundel? Can you belt sand it down with a 80 grit belt sander paper rated for sanding glass? What size is the normal size for a roudell and will it fit?

I have two blue roundels but they are 4.75 inches in diameter and would need to be cut or ground down

Most normal strip light roundels are the 4 5/8" size. Grinding one down might make the diameter right, but it would be lacking the flat flange around the perimeter that the external snap ring uses to hold the roundel on the reflector of the fixture. I don't think there's room to try an oversize normal roundel. I will check into the source you listed, though, thanks.

Actually, I've found most to be 5 5/8 (Altman 528 and R40), and 4 1/2 to be somewhat common, but only on the Altman 520 line. This, of course, has no bearing on this thread. FatherMurphy is correct about the flat edge around the circumference. This may or not be an issue. Also, note that if grinding down, the curvature (dip) might not be exactly right. So if you want them all to look the same, grinding might not be the solution for you. I have some 5 5/8 roundels that you can experiment with. Most are pebbled, but a few are clear (no diffusion). I'll have to see what colors I have in clear assuming that's what you need.

I also have some odd-size (about 4.5 - 5") roundels (may have been for architectural or underwater lights) which have a very shallow dip. They have diffusion, but it isn't as coarse as the typical strip light roundels.

Actually, I've found most to be 5 5/8 (Altman 528 and R40), and 4 1/2 to be somewhat common, but only on the Altman 520 line. This, of course, has no bearing on this thread. FatherMurphy is correct about the flat edge around the circumference. This may or not be an issue. Also, note that if grinding down, the curvature (dip) might not be exactly right. So if you want them all to look the same, grinding might not be the solution for you. I have some 5 5/8 roundels that you can experiment with. Most are pebbled, but a few are clear (no diffusion). I'll have to see what colors I have in clear assuming that's what you need.

I also have some odd-size (about 4.5 - 5") roundels (may have been for architectural or underwater lights) which have a very shallow dip. They have diffusion, but it isn't as coarse as the typical strip light roundels.

Noted the ring, but if one don't want to pay Kopp's price for a limited run, it's a strip light and I don't thing one would note the difference - or such lenses could be put towards the ends.

Know the bracket spoken about.. careful incutting away at it in recognizing the observation that it might not fit that well in the gel frame holder. I would view this option as better than reversing the frames inside each other and attempting to gel them to the same effect. You do of course realize that for now you can reverse the frames so as to hold a gel? Side note in something else that works especially if in the Rx 124 range with further stranded frosting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back