See through material

bowmanali

I need help finding a material that, when light his the front it looks like a wall, but when backlit the entire material appears to be gone.

Any ideas?

Thanks, we have used scrim material before, but the problem is we don't have a budget.

My school is doing a play called Fugue. Basically the show takes place in a hospital room, with short scenes in the doctor's office overlooking the room. We just reblocked the show so now we don't have to worry about it.

Sometimes you can find a good deal on remnants. Try contacting one of the really big dealers like Rose Brand to see what they have available.

You'd be looking for scrim. Check this out: Sharkstooth Scrim, <span style='color:red'>FR</span> from Rose Brand

Of course the illusion is never perfect, but treated correctly can be very good. When you want the scrim to be opaque, you light it at a steep angle from the front. Then kill the frontlight and light behind it to reveal what's behind.

Do a search on here and you'll find tons of tips for using scrim.

What is your application?

If your not concerned with seeing anything but shadows, translucent plastic sheeting works better for actually looking like a wall. Super expensive, but it takes backlight well, and acts like diffusion. The entire back wall of our current show is done like this.

I've used plastic mesh as scrim-on-a-budget before. The particular stuff I used came in 72" rolls, white, and about the same pitch as window screen, but a bit denser due to thicker weave. It came from McMaster-Carr, but I don't seem to have the item number handy. If you trim the selvage off, you can stitch it together and get an invisible seam, so it can be quite inexpensive for even largish areas if you've got the labor on hand.

Thanks, we have used scrim material before, but the problem is we don't have a budget.

My school is doing a play called Fugue. Basically the show takes place in a hospital room, with short scenes in the doctor's office overlooking the room. We just reblocked the show so now we don't have to worry about it.

Reblocking is my favorite solution to any scenery/budget problem :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back