Conventional Fixtures Selecon pacific gel

Aarons

I'm working with a new theater install who used strand as there main lighting vendor.. I have yet to work with selecon and there website is all about how theres no heat in the optics. So why is it that they are burning up gel in 20min. Any one out there know something I don't about these things. (I wish I was there when they chose the lighting vendor i would of pointed them to ETC....)

First of all, no normal light should be burning a gel in 20 minutes, no matter what brand they are. I would say there is something abnormal about the unit in question; lamp burning extra hot, bad bench focus, etc. Secondly, and more to your question, it depends on the model of the instrument. While, yes, Selecon is now known as Strand Selecon, this is just a re-branding by Philips (which now owns both Strand and Selecon). In everyday use, the names Strand and Selecon mean completely different things. Besides that difference, there are also different models within each brand. When you think of the low heat Selecon, you are probably thinking of the Pacific Series of ellipsoidals. These units do have very good heat management. So good, in fact, that you can use normal transparencies for gobos.

Both Strand and Selecon make quality instruments. The latter not having really made much headway in the American market, yet. Everyone can have their preferences, but I find it hard to say that there is any one manufacturer that is objectively better than the rest among the big honchos.

-Tim

First of all, no normal light should be burning a gel in 20 minutes, no matter what brand they are. I would say there is something abnormal about the unit in question; lamp burning extra hot, bad bench focus, etc. Secondly, and more to your question, it depends on the model of the instrument. While, yes, Selecon is now known as Strand Selecon, this is just a re-branding by Philips (which now owns both Strand and Selecon). In everyday use, the names Strand and Selecon mean completely different things. Besides that difference, there are also different models within each brand. When you think of the low heat Selecon, you are probably thinking of the Pacific Series of ellipsoidals. These units do have very good heat management. So good, in fact, that you can use normal transparencies for gobos.

Both Strand and Selecon make quality instruments. The latter not having really made much headway in the American market, yet. Everyone can have their preferences, but I find it hard to say that there is any one manufacturer that is objectively better than the rest among the big honchos.

-Tim

Yeah I'm trying to get in contact with the vendor. They are all new just out of the box Selecon Pacifics I was told they were bench focused by the installer.

If I wasn't worried about parts I would take the new version of the strand SL over a source 4 any day. They have higher foot candle ratings than the source 4's and they're even a little cheaper. The potential problem with them is getting parts down the road. We're having trouble find SL parts, and the older leko and strand century units you might as well forget about getting parts for. I really wish we could get more parts for those because they still blow a source 4 away.

Yeah I'm trying to get in contact with the vendor. They are all new just out of the box Selecon Pacifics I was told they were bench focused by the installer.
I guess what I didn't really say in my first post was, can you give us more information? You've now told us it is indeed a Selecon Pacific instrument you are talking about, but is it just one unit? Is it all the units? Is it just with one color gel? Is it with every gel? Is it only units in a specific position? Etc. The more you tell us, the more we can try to help you diagnose the problem.

-Tim

I am sorry that you are having problems with these luminaires. As Tim notes below please give us some added information that can help us help you. I am the product marketing manager for this product line and would like to aide you in solving your problems. If you are at the USITT conf. this week please come by and see us in booth 1030. if not please feel free to send me a note at [email protected] and I would be happy to help.

First of all, no normal light should be burning a gel in 20 minutes, no matter what brand they are.

Actually, this is not true. With some saturate colors combined with 26˚ and some 36˚ source fours you can get the gel to go Bonanza in mere seconds. Has to do with the focal point of the optics and the transmission of the gel. You don't even need a 750W lamp to do it.

Odds are the flaw is right in this statement. Whether you unpacked the units from their boxes or the installer did, it is highly unlikely that they actually benched the units. Also, you should make sure that they all have the correct lamp and are not running at too high a wattage.

Having worked with the Pacific series units before, I can tell you that they really do have good thermal management when setup correctly. To the point where you can use extremely low transmission gels and not burn them up, I have done it before.

I have 8 Selecons. I typically go an entire show run, pull out the Gel and it still looks brand new. You might see a little wear on the really deep saturated gel colors, but for medium to light saturation they are amazing. They are quite easy to bench focus. You can actually pop the heat sink off the top, turn them on about 15% and look through the dichroic mirror directly at the lamp (no danger of going blind here) and see that the focus is perfect or not. I love to use them to teach bench focusing for this very reason.

What size lamps are you running? What color of Gel?

Actually, this is not true. With some saturate colors combined with 26˚ and some 36˚ source fours you can get the gel to go Bonanza in mere seconds. Has to do with the focal point of the optics and the transmission of the gel. You don't even need a 750W lamp to do it.
Really?! I mean, not that I don't believe you, but, in seconds? No exaggeration? The worst I have yet to encounter is 360Q 6x9s, but even they take more than an hour or so...

Does it have to do with specific frequencies of color and the focal length that somehow combine to wreak epic havoc on poor electricians? Or is it just a matter of the saturation of certain colors that those darn LDs just can't live without! :cry:

I've had issues in the past with the 90 degree lenses - if the peak/flat is not tweaked right, it does burn a hole in the gel fairly quickly. But if it's bench focussed right then you shouldn't have any problems.

Yeah they were burning up so R51, I'm guessing that they were not bench focussed, and we have over 200 of them ugh... I'm going to look into that tomorrow (Er today) Any tips on getting a good bench focus fast?

Really?! I mean, not that I don't believe you, but, in seconds? No exaggeration? The worst I have yet to encounter is 360Q 6x9s, but even they take more than an hour or so...

Does it have to do with specific frequencies of color and the focal length that somehow combine to wreak epic havoc on poor electricians? Or is it just a matter of the saturation of certain colors that those darn LDs just can't live without! :cry:

No exaggeration here. I have seen color go bonanza as soon as it was dropped or as soon as the fixture was turned on. Happened on the last show that I was working on, the only solution was Apollo GelShield and color extenders. I believe it was all 26˚ units. It is a function of the optics and the distance between the unit and the stage. At a throw similar to what we were using, when the ran the units sharp or just in from sharp the color toasted. I don't remember what color it was exactly, but it was a pretty Lee blue.

Also they are lamped with 575, and I'v had both 20deg and 30deg burn

I have never worked with the fixed beam pacifics, but I wonder if the optics are such that this is similar problem to what I have seen with 26˚ and 36˚ source fours.

Any tips on getting a good bench focus fast?

As was mentioned, a lof of hands, but make sure they know what they are doing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back