Control/Dimming Sending DMX down a single wire (not a single cable)

In this case, I think the OP would actually have better luck with sending DMX down a barbed wire fence ;)

I wish the OP would just state their reason! All of this teasing from Steve Terry is driving me crazy!!

;)

Giant rod stuck into the ground. The earth was one and the copper was the other. It worked, however all the telegraph did was send voltage across the line. What DMX does is far more complex compared to what the telegraph required.

Telegraph Operator + Lightning Storm = Modern life insurance industry :shock:

Giant rod stuck into the ground. The earth was one and the copper was the other. It worked, however all the telegraph did was send voltage across the line. What DMX does is far more complex compared to what the telegraph required.

Actually DMX and other modern serial protocols aren't that much different from the original telegraph systems.

The rate at which data is being transmitted has just been increased, both are still forms of digital communication.

Only thing that I can come up with is that the OP wants to send multiple universes down one cable that is already run, perhaps in a place that makes it difficult to swap out with an ethernet run.

The Viterbi coding on its own does not help because once you have encoded your data using the Viterbi Algorithim or better still the Turbocode algorithim you still have to modulate the carrier for transmission over the channel medium.

I also would like to know why you want to transmit down one wire when it would be easier to use a wireless ssytem to transmit your DMX

I don't know why the OP wants to do this, but the solution is simple... encode & modulate the signal... then the signal can be "transmitted" down the single wire . Add FEC as required, depending on the noise in the system.

Of course, just using standard wireless systems would be easier :)

-Fred

Getting back to the concept, does fiber require one strand or two/three to send a signal? Converters up and down line than convert what ever the case back to a normal DMX signal. What ever the case electronics on both sides of the run no doubt are able to figure out A/B as indexed also in doing so in signal.

Many say ceiling fans work by way of sending a signal to the fan by way of chopping the frequency of the hot wire, realizing it's indexed by way of the neutral most likely in return path reading of it. Simplier signal anyway but still something of concept.

Might this be a question of if in conduit / mechnical ground that index for a very low voltage signal and the sending and recieving mechanisims in figuring out the data signal?

Otherwise if not in conduit or any other return to earth ground in sending the signal, might not be possible. No other path to ground in return path for the data or as might be trickle and nominal voltage leakage to ground in return path. No way to ground in return path the signal?

Fiber... say some blinking light at one side and some seperately powered up reciever at the other point could I think be single wire if fiber optic. Take power at the remote reciever to recieve and read the blinking light signal sent. Takes power at both sources to power up the circuitry in reading the signal of fiber optic but it can be with only one signal wire to send and different indexes to ground to build off of.

Copper... not as well in while you could heat one end to send a signal, line loss and lag time would prove inefficient unless you had a return path of some sort to index that buzz in the line perhaps. Still if earth ground at the remote site which one no doubt would have given the power supply needed to figure out what was being sent, it might be possible. Bod rate I believe it is would be hampered some I think in doing so but once the transciever and reciever synched up to earth ground, I think it possible. This assuming power to the reciever to figure out what's sent thus also some index to a seperate or at least different ground path. More a question of programing in syncronizing the signal sent and ground path I think and that's possible with programming. How long does it take a cable box to syncronize with it's signal? While two wire in concept, different indexes for ground as a concept perhaps.

This given there is no products on the market at this point that would transmit or recieve such data. Still though as a theory, I think it possible - this granted I major in pre-1979 technology and it's all concept for me beyond that. And I really try to stay away from most modern technology where I can help it. Got my guys for that in even being trained as fiber repair tech people I am not.

Last edited:
Getting back to the concept, does fiber require one strand or two/three to send a signal? Converters up and down line than convert what ever the case back to a normal DMX signal. Many say ceiling fans work by way of sending a signal to the fan by way of the hot wire, realizing it's indexed by way of the neutral most likely.
Fiber can work on one strand but you get one way communication. There does not have to be separate runs for a clock signal or that type of thing with fiber. Video over fiber converters are one example of one way devices. 802.3z (1gb Ethernet over Fiber) requires two runs, one for data send and one for receive. Thats the typical setup found in most installations.

Fiber can work on one strand but you get one way communication. There does not have to be separate runs for a clock signal or that type of thing with fiber. Video over fiber converters are one example of one way devices. 802.3z (1gb Ethernet over Fiber) requires two runs, one for data send and one for receive. Thats the typical setup found in most installations.

Why not just install a multi-mode fiber, or is that what they do on branches from a mainline or switch? I know single mode has very different characteristics tho... (Short term Hijack) Google Fiber might be getting installed in GR! WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not just install a multi-mode fiber, or is that what they do on branches from a mainline or switch? I know single mode has very different characteristics tho...
Most fiber devices these days use Multi-mode fiber, that being the cheaper and easier to use type... single-mode is reserved for specialized applications. Multi-mode doesn't refer to the number of signals; it refers to the propagation characteristics.

Doing 2-way though a single fiber would involve multiple wavelengths, and complex optics, and gets expensive very quickly. Fiber is cheap; tunable optics aren't.

Back to the original question... why would DMX on a single wire be needed?

Why not just install a multi-mode fiber, or is that what they do on branches from a mainline or switch? I know single mode has very different characteristics tho... (Short term Hijack) Google Fiber might be getting installed in GR! WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Multi-mode fiber simply means that the light passing through it has mutliple ways of going. The fiber is designed so that light "bounces" from wall to wall. It does not mean that you can pass light in to directions at the same time. Multi-mode fiber allows for lower tolerances when manufacturing. It also cuts down on the overall length of the run. Multi-mode fiber can run a half mile before it degrades. You can terminate the cable with either glue/sandpaper and a microscope or with a fusion splicer.

Single-Mode fiber has only one path for the light to travel, meaning the light travels perfectly straight, not touching any walls. This allows the runs to be expanded to about 30 miles before it needs to be regenerated. Usually, the fiber that is in the ground or on telephone poles is single mode. Single mode fiber is much more expensive to buy and even more expensive to terminate. It requires a fusion splicer specifically made for single mode fiber.

In a previous life I used to work for an electrical contractor that specialized in fiber and structured cabling installation.

.....And I think our OP is dead.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back