Control/Dimming Sensor Relay Cards

Les

I have a Sensor SR3 rack. Which relay cards do I need? I have a pair of alcove circuits that I want to use for VL1000's but we can't afford the ThruPower modules.

I have seen used R20's going pretty cheaply, but I'm not sure what the compatibility is with our rack? The CC20 is an option too, although I'd rather have something controllable from the board. I can't trust every board op to turn off the VL's at the end of the night.

I believe an R20 would work in a Sensor3 rack. The only racks I know of that have problems with R20s is early Unison. I would call ETC tech support to confirm this.

R20 will work fine, though getting more reliable board ops might be an alternative long-term investment. Relay's will always be useful though.

Why not the R15AF or R20AF?

Good Morning Bill

Unless he has an Advanced Feature rack, the AF Mod won't do anything for him.
The only difference between the 15A & 20A is the breaker. Everything else inside the mod is the same, so I'd go with the 20 if it were my choice.

Good Morning Bill

Unless he has an Advanced Feature rack, the AF Mod won't do anything for him.
The only difference between the 15A & 20A is the breaker. Everything else inside the mod is the same, so I'd go with the 20 if it were my choice.
But they are current and in production and I think would do the job, and as best i can tell, there are not non-AF relay modules in current production.

I just double checked a BOM from January.
"7 7083A1085 R20 - Dual 20A 120V Relay Module (14 Relays)"

Do you have other info?

I just double checked a BOM from January.
"7 7083A1085 R20 - Dual 20A 120V Relay Module (14 Relays)"

Do you have other info?
On their web site, I can only find data sheets for the AF. Perhaps the non-AF are lurking on a different data sheet not in the Sensor modules list.

So I just looked in the Unison DRd section and they are there. Just not listed under Sensor. It would be nice to have one list with all modules. Probably exists, I just haven't found it. That assumes the nonAF works in Sensor, which it seems it must.

Drd racks use R20- part 7083A1085
Sensor racks use R20AF -part 7050A1085
Both the same list price.
So are they under-charging for the "AF", or over-charging for the " "? One would think the Advanced Features modules would have to cost more, as they contain additional circuitry.

Both the same list price.
Remember to park them on your console .

Are they in fact the same part, with two different skus, or are they different?

The parking is an interesting issue WHEN there is for instance a Paradigm system and you would like to be able to have some recorded presets that LEDs that otherwise get unpowered. I am trying occupancy sensors - one in each sound and light lock - so someone entering the stage or auditorium will term them on and a step or two before they reach and entry panel. Then several occupancy sensors in the auditorium but not relying on them. I'll have Paradigm programmed so that once on, they stay on until a certain time - like 1:00 am or as suitable for the venue - and then all turn off. Will also build in on admin page of a touch screen a means to override - either stay on or force off. And still suggest they park them on at the console - but warn them they will stay on as long as console is on.

So are they under-charging for the "AF", or over-charging for the " "? One would think the Advanced Features modules would have to cost more, as they contain additional circuitry.
You are assuming they are different parts with different components. I'm guessing for probably the quantity they sell, its more cost effective to just have one part, one design. My sense is that AF is built into some "thingy" and not an ads on card or gizmo. But maybe.

Both the same list price. ...

This is correct. They are the same module with a different sticker on the front and bottom. Unison DR and DRd racks do not support AF features so we choose not to list the AF in the module type to avoid confusion about why one "can't get AF to work" in their DR/DRd. Either module will work in either rack type (Unison vs Sensor) and when AF cards are present in Sensor racks, you can get AF feedback.

The parking is an interesting issue WHEN there is for instance a Paradigm system and you would like to be able to have some recorded presets that LEDs that otherwise get unpowered. I am trying occupancy sensors - one in each sound and light lock - so someone entering the stage or auditorium will term them on and a step or two before they reach and entry panel. Then several occupancy sensors in the auditorium but not relying on them. I'll have Paradigm programmed so that once on, they stay on until a certain time - like 1:00 am or as suitable for the venue - and then all turn off. Will also build in on admin page of a touch screen a means to override - either stay on or force off. And still suggest they park them on at the console - but warn them they will stay on as long as console is on.

I've done a couple of spaces where the Paradigm monitored a group of intensities. If they went positive then the power relays went on. When they go off a several hour delay prevents rapid cycling. The thought is that the pop on would never be with an audience present and might only happen once a day in a busy space. The house lights are powered 24/7 as architectural fixtures are generally built with that in mind.

If they went positive then the power relays went on. When they go off a several hour delay prevents rapid cycling.
That's what I have done but trying the occupancy sensors for a change. I've watched too often to see people "stab" repeatedly the button because of the ever so slight delay from relays. I'd love to be able to trust the occupancy sensors for it all -on and off - just 10 or 20 minutes without sensing - but a lot of sensors - all control rooms and catwalks and such as well as multiple for house and under balcony, pit - no end. Someone comes in - they turn on and not off till wee hours unless someone intervenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back