Automated Fixtures Shoplite CMY?

Has anyone heard of a fixture called Shoplite? I am looking for some information on this one like pictures, manual, just to see a little mor what it is before i buy some used ones.

They should have a MSD250 lamp, CMY, and be DMX controlled.

Google turned up nothing, chances are it's a made in China no name brand, that would be difficult to get parts for, likely to break and noisy.
That said they might just not have a website, but that seems dodgy to me.
Nick

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! A CMY fixture with no website and you are buying used. I would only make the purchase if you consider them and the money you spend completely disposable. If they break... which might be on the way to your house... how are you going to get parts? Who is going to fix them? In this recent thread someone was talking about purchasing Megalite gear. In that case they are also a small manufacturer that many had never heard of, but they have a well put together website and they have a track record in the industry. You are really going solo on this one if you buy "Shoplite".

Are these an E-bay purchase? As Nick said they are probably a Chinese made product with a randomly chosen brand name. They may be good they may be bad but it's a huge gamble. We've had a lot of people around here get burned with E-bay purchases. Remember E-bay is a giant garage sale and there is a lot of junk or good things that have been trashed on e-bay. My advice is to only buy known products from a reliable used theatrical lighting dealer such as Gear Source or Solaris Network.

Last edited:
How bright does it need to be? If its for a club type venue, then go with a Mini spot or something. If its a bigger venue, your probably going to need to shell out more money to get a high quality (or even decent quality) light. For CMY mixing, I think the gold standard right now for a non- moving light is probably the seachanger, and for a moving light, a MAC 700 or similar sized light is probably the best bet (although someone should chime in on that, because my experience with those is limited).

If you are only looking for DJ gear. Give up on CMY and head straight for the American DJ and Chauvet websites. You'll find things that change colors and do tricks in your price range. But be warned these fixtures are intended for use in a dark night club. If you try to use them on a fully lit stage you won't be able to see them.

If you want professional grade brightness and a CMY moving head fixture that has a stage quality output they are going to cost you at least $5000 new. You can get used ones for half that. There simply is no such thing as a professional stage quality CMY fixture for $500... even used. You might be able to find some decent quality used moving head fixtures that have color changing wheels for around $1000 but not with CMY. Used professional quality CMY fixtures in working condition are probably going to run over $2000 each. Also remember that you are going to pay hundreds of dollars to replace a single lamp in fixtures of this level. So your ongoing maintenance is high.

You might want to check out the products from Neo-Neon. They are a Chinese OEM manufacturer for several of the lower end main stream products. You can get an Elation/Chauvet entry level quality CMY moving light fixtures for a lot less money. Supposedly, it's the same parts and same quality.

CB member BillESC is a dealer and our go to guy in situations like this. Besides selling some higher end stuff he also sells a lot of the mid to low end products like: American DJ, Elation, Chauvet, and Neo-Neon. Give him a call he's very knowledgeable about these types of products and will quote you a good price. (Note CB doesn't allow sales so Bill can't comment in this thread. He's been around CB a long time and I've made several purchases from him. His phone number is in his signature.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back