Microphones Shure Beta 57A rattling?

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
One of the Shure Beta 57a's we use at church apparently rattles when you pick it up. Is this a quick fix or do I need to send it in for service? Pulled the grill off, nothing fell out, which is a good sign, but it definitely rattles when you lightly shake it.

Is the capsule under the grill still physically attached? That's the only time I've seen something similar to this, and it's been so long, I honestly can't remember how I fixed it (or if I sent it in for service).

EDIT: Is the rattling just local, or does it transmit down the mic line to the board/PA? (obviously some of the local rattling will be heard from the mic itself, but can you differentiate?)

The capsule is still attached, via the two wires and the antishock mount appears fine. The rattling appears to be in the metal housing. Not sure if this rattling transmits or not, the stage had already been struck before it was brought to my attention. The mic wasn't used in the set today, but someone noticed when they were packing away the mics.

IMG_20181223_190216.jpg

I haven't opened up a 57 myself - but I know on the 58s/87s there's a lower set screw you can remove and disassemble the microphone. If you're gentle and kind, it's pretty hard to damage anything. I'd get a well-lit area with a set of screwdrivers and open it up.

Will tackle this after Christmas. My boss gave me the week off. :)

I think you have a mis-labeled mic, I think it's really a Beta 57 C, not an A, the C is for castanet.

The only thing in the mic handle that can rattle is the impedance matching transformer. It's usually embedded in a wad of adhesive. It's possible the internal shock mount has come loose from its attachment to the handle casting but I've never see that with a mic that was not abused.

Was this mic purchased from an authorized Shure dealer? I'm suspecting it's a counterfeit... a call to Shure's engineering support group will get you a answer either way.

The mic was bought for the church by a gear snob who thought he could buy his way into the worship team. (Didn't work)

Pretty sure it's legit. Unfortunately, I don't have the boxes or paperwork.

The mic was bought for the church by a gear snob who thought he could buy his way into the worship team. (Didn't work)

Pretty sure it's legit. Unfortunately, I don't have the boxes or paperwork.

"Sorry, but we require a buy in at the KSM-137 level or higher."

Give Shure a call anyway, they can help with the rattle issue

"Sorry, but we require a buy in at the KSM-137 level or higher."

I am laughing so hard, I've got tears streaming down my face.

I'll add to this story. The worship pastor was away for a week, and reluctantly, he allowed this guy to fill in as lead guitar. (Just to note, this guy had been practicing for weeks with the worship team on their regular Wednesday night rehearsal and had recently donated two Beta 57's and two Beta 58's to the worship team)

I had sound that Sunday, and I was told this guy would be leading worship. Sunday morning rolls around and since we meet at a school, we show up early for load-in, then sound check, then practice, then the service.

This guy shows up with a *snow-white vinyl wrapped 4x12 marshall cabinet and head with gold trim* and parks himself right up front. Then rolls out this insane petal setup. Really? Are you serious? That's not how we roll around here. It's not the Bob show, it's worship. I tell him to put the cab away, and DI into the house rig. We've got nice monitors and we rarely exceed 95db, it's NOT a loud service.

He throws an epic tantrum. Has a meltdown at 8:45 in the morning. But I'm the senior pastor's son and head of the sound team. He calms down, puts the cab and head behind the curtain, plugs into a DI, and does practice. Then we break for Sunday School. Half hour before the service. I leave to go get my wife and kids because our other car was in the shop that weekend. I get back with maybe a minute to spare.

What do I see when I walk into the auditorium? Yep, that freaking 4x12 obnoxious white cab. He's also moved himself further forward. I have no time to deal with this crap. He launch's into the first song and the service starts. I have to adjust everything on the fly because his rig is cranked. I'm seeing red, and not just on my board's meters. He runs this rocked out version of a standard worship song and actually does a solo on the opening song. Song is finally over, and one of the elders approach the lectern/pulpit and makes an off the cuff remark about it being very loud. I wave over another guy on my sound team to man the console, and race backstage. Sneak behind the 2nd curtain and unplug his extension cord that's going to his cab and head unit, then snap the pins on the extension cord. Race back to FOh position just as the opening prayer is wrapping up. "Bob" has realized that his rig has no power, (guess he couldn't hear the hum anymore) and is quickly plugging back into the DI box that he had been given during practice.

Meanwhile, I'm frantically resetting down to approximately where I was at during practice. Prayer wraps up and it's time for the main three song set. He plays his heart out, but I control his mix and what is feed to the mains and the monitors. What I can't control is his unrehearsed solos and bridges. The rest if the worship team is glaring daggers at him. But hey, in his mind, it's "The Bob Show". To the rest of us, he's an egotistical train wreck.

So, the service ends and I know there is going to be a confrontation. I race out to my car, grab one of the spare extension cords that's always littering my truck, and head back in, and go straight backstage. He's there, fuming and ranting. He holds up the extension cord and starts to yell. I toss him my spare cord and tell him to pack up his crap and leave. No one else on stage was jumping to his defense, so he leaves.

He then apparently goes to the church office the next day and starts screaming at my dad and the worship pastor. I was expecting this, and was able to switch shifts with someone else to have today off at the last minute. I got the text from the worship pastor asking for details, and I tell them I'll be there in 15 minutes. I get there and "Bob" is still ticked and my dad doesn't look too happy either. First thing I do is pull out my phone and show a picture to the worship pastor of the guy's rig. He stares at it, and turns to the guy and calmly asks him why he just lied to the pastors, since that picture was a far cry from the gear he was describing. The guy starts hemming and hawing and I take the opportunity to tell the worship pastor exactly what happened. By the end of that meeting, the guy had been informed that his participation in the worship team was no longer welcome. The guy at least had the class to not demand the mics he'd just donated back. But I never heard or saw from him again.

And that's the story of how we got 4 Shure Beta mics.

Pictures ??

Pictures ??

Unfortunately this was a year or two ago before everything was backed up automagically to Google Photos. I searched yesterday but couldn't find those pics :(

This pic is the closest I could find of what his cab looked like.

ezgif-1-f97dbeadd9c1.jpg

I think that is a pretty cabinet IMO. I wouldn't let it on my stage for a musical where I want the band to blend in.

Him being up front was the main problem, if he was on the backline it wouldn't be a big deal. But he got a shot to lead and took advantage of it. It wasn't like he was unfamiliar with how services are run, how we treat worship. He'd been attending for months, and at no point is it "The Worship Leader's Show". We aren't Hillsong or Mars Hill. We call our Musicians our Worship Team, not our Music Team, because the music is an Act of Worship, not a show we are putting on. Running the sound console is an Act of Worship, and I do the best job I can as an Act of Worship. What happened was, by trying call attention to himself, was that he no longer made the music an Act of Worship. It was now "The Bob Show" *not his actual name, obviously. That was the main issue and despite the example of how we do things and all the practice with the Worship Leader (who's also one of our Pastors), he was clearly looking for adulation, not an opportunity to worship, and that just won't fly.

Don't get me wrong, we love music and love to have it in the service. We have at least a six song set every Sunday. Intro song (call to worship), 3 song main set, then offertory song, then closing song. We plan special music for Communion Sunday (first Sunday of every month) with special performances, often duets or some of our talented musicians doing an instrumental solo on violin, cello, flute, we've even had a harp on stage before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back