simple lighting question question

i just got hired as a lighting designer, it's a long story, anyway i'm sitting at the bar right now with my laptop hooked up to a dmx controller and to a martin mx 1, all i want to do for now is learn how to turn the light off and on using my laptop. i could really use some help and would be very grateful for any. i've been pushing buttons for about 2 hours now, i have no idea what i'm doing wrong

i just got hired as a lighting designer, it's a long story, anyway i'm sitting at the bar right now with my laptop hooked up to a dmx controller and to a martin mx 1, all i want to do for now is learn how to turn the light off and on using my laptop. i could really use some help and would be very grateful for any. i've been pushing buttons for about 2 hours now, i have no idea what i'm doing wrong

First off, congrats on getting a job. Now, if you could tell us what kind of computer you have, what software you are using and what DMX interface you have we will be able to help you out much more efficiently.

First off, congrats on getting a job. Now, if you could tell us what kind of computer you have, what software you are using and what DMX interface you have we will be able to help you out much more efficiently.

thank you so much! i have an hp laptop dual core running windows 7 ultimate i'm running daslight dvc2 the controller, is the dvc2 gold it has 3 switches and 2 places for xlr cables on it (an in and an out) on it, the light i'm trying to control is a martin mx1

I suppose the first things to check are the basics:
Is the Martin plugged in?
Is the Martin Powered on?
Is the DMX in the correct spot on the interface?
(If you can tell) Is the DMX interface powered on?
Is the lamp in the Martin working?

Always good things to check

Edit: After checking the manuel quickly, make sure you are in LIVE mode or else you have to record cues and then play them. Also make sure the interface is set up correctly in the daslight. Also in the interface management window you should have the interface #1 be set to Universe 1 (and Universe 2 on the second out). Good Luck

Last edited:
I suppose the first things to check are the basics:
Is the Martin plugged in?
Is the Martin Powered on?
Is the DMX in the correct spot on the interface?
(If you can tell) Is the DMX interface powered on?
Is the lamp in the Martin working?

Always good things to check

Edit: After checking the manuel quickly, make sure you are in LIVE mode or else you have to record cues and then play them. Also make sure the interface is set up correctly in the daslight. Also in the interface management window you should have the interface #1 be set to Universe 1 (and Universe 2 on the second out). Good Luck

the martin is plugged in, it's doing its own thing various colors and gobos all over, it seems to be functioning normally in a random mode. i don't really know which it the correct position on my dmx controller box, the xlr cable has a male and female end, the male end is plugged into the controller, i only have one xlr cable, do i need 2? the green and red lights on the controller are flashing rapidly, the yellow is on steady, and the display on the controller says pc, there is a red light near that the display that is on steady as well. i have no idea if i'm in live mode, i'm under the live tab on the left side of the screen, i did the part of patching in the light, i believe i've patched it correctly, i have no idea how to set up the interface in daslight, i think i might be doing it right but really dont know, i think this is where i'm running into problems, i've tried to get through the owners manual, and watched several youtube videos, but everything i have found deals with multiple light setups, i cant seem to find daslight for severe beginners, under the live tab i've tried moving the sliders all around, but nothing seems to happen.

the martin is plugged in, it's doing its own thing various colors and gobos all over, it seems to be functioning normally in a random mode. i don't really know which it the correct position on my dmx controller box, the xlr cable has a male and female end, the male end is plugged into the controller, i only have one xlr cable, do i need 2? the green and red lights on the controller are flashing rapidly, the yellow is on steady, and the display on the controller says pc, there is a red light near that the display that is on steady as well. i have no idea if i'm in live mode, i'm under the live tab on the left side of the screen, i did the part of patching in the light, i believe i've patched it correctly, i have no idea how to set up the interface in daslight, i think i might be doing it right but really dont know, i think this is where i'm running into problems, i've tried to get through the owners manual, and watched several youtube videos, but everything i have found deals with multiple light setups, i cant seem to find daslight for severe beginners, under the live tab i've tried moving the sliders all around, but nothing seems to happen.

So it seems like everything is as it should for the first list. Just to make sure it wasn't a silly mistake. (when I said the correct spot, I meant you don't have it backwards. The martin controlling the computer just doesn't work.) If the tab you are in says live than that would be LIVE mode.

It sounds like the Martin might be in a stand alone mode. Or in 1-Channel Mode Try turning the Martin off and then on again with the DMX present. The manuel says that it would go into stand alone with no DMX. Also make sure that ONLY dip switch 1 is on. All the others needs to be off.

Last edited:

So setup is Computer -> (DMX Box) -> XLR out -> XLR in on the fixture Correct?

Is your mover plugged in and off random mode when you are moving the sliders. Also as far as patching are you patched so that the fixture is first in the string?
I'm not too familiar with either of the two but I would start by making sure that your fixture is setup to actually listen to the DMX line and make sure you are actually sending signal out.

So setup is Computer -> (DMX Box) -> XLR out -> XLR in on the fixture Correct?

Is your mover plugged in and off random mode when you are moving the sliders. Also as far as patching are you patched so that the fixture is first in the string?
I'm not too familiar with either of the two but I would start by making sure that your fixture is setup to actually listen to the DMX line and make sure you are actually sending signal out.

ok dipswitch 1 is on, all others off, tried it, and IT WORKS!!! dude ur so awesome!! apparently i had the dipswitch wrong, i set them, the first time, but they did nothing, apparently unplugging the light reset something, thanx so much, now i at least know i can control the light and can build from here. :grin: I have a billion more questions, but this should keep me busy for some time. do you know of a good resource for anyone like me that knows virtually nothing about this stuff? also kinda trying to fid the limitations of the daslight system, any ideas on that? i may repost that question later, last thing i wanna do is annoy people on here with dumb questions, bet i'm up all night playing w/ this thing, thanks again.

My first step would be to verify the patch/dmx assignment all through the chain. Clearly you are in one of the auto modes with the MX1, not the DMX control mode, so start at the fixture.

Go through pages 15-19 of the MX1 manual to verify which DMX channel the fixture is listening to, and that you are in DMX control mode. The easiest thing to do is, as has been suggested, have dip switch one on (located towards the pin numbers) and all other switches off. This should result in your MX1 listening to DMX channel 1-6 or 1-7 (depending on which way the internal jumper is set for 6/7 channel mode). Page 17 of the manual gives the break down of what channels 1-7 control.

Now to the connection. You should only need one DMX line. When running powered devices like scrollers and gobo rotators with a 4 pin dmx + power cable you need to complete the circuit but not with DMX. If you have more than one DMX device on the line you need to terminate the line, but there is no problem with one device alone. According to the manual, the DMX in jack on the MX1 is the plug farthest away from the dip switches (which I assume is male).

I don't know anything about your dongle so I can't help much, but if it follows standard procedures the output jack should be female.

Software. I don't know the software at all but here are a few things to look for: Make sure the patch on the software is set "1 to 1". This verifies channel one actually controls dimmer one. Second you say you are moving sliders, what kind of sliders are they. Are they channel faders, playback faders, or submasters? What do they actually control? If they are playbacks or submasters they must be programmed to control a specific channel before they become useful. Once you have verified the patch, search the manual for channel control.

Last edited:
Best resources are manuals when things don't work and to learn what all it can do. Then, asking people on here or friends who have used that software or that light. Glad you could get it working. :grin:

My first step would be to verify the patch/dmx assignment all through the chain. Clearly you are in one of the auto modes with the MX1, not the DMX control mode, so start at the fixture.

Go through pages 15-19 of the MX1 manual to verify which DMX channel the fixture is listening to, and that you are in DMX control mode. The easiest thing to do is, as has been suggested, have dip switch one on (located towards the pin numbers) and all other switches off. This should result in your MX1 listening to DMX channel 1-6 or 1-7 (depending on which way the internal jumper is set for 6/7 channel mode). Page 17 of the manual gives the break down of what channels 1-7 control.

Now to the connection. You should only need one DMX line. When running powered devices like scrollers and gobo rotators with a 4 pin dmx + power cable you need to complete the circuit but not with DMX. If you have more than one DMX device on the line you need to terminate the line, but there is no problem with one device alone. According to the manual, the DMX in jack on the MX1 is the plug farthest away from the dip switches (which I assume is male).

I don't know anything about your dongle so I can't help much, but if it follows standard procedures the output jack should be female.

Software. I don't know the software at all but here are a few things to look for: Make sure the patch on the software is set "1 to 1". This verifies channel one actually controls dimmer one. Second you say you are moving sliders, what kind of sliders are they. Are they channel faders, playback faders, or submasters? What do they actually control? If they are playbacks or submasters they must be programmed to control a specific channel before they become useful. Once you have verified the patch, search the manual for channel control.

i think i've got it set, i am now controlling it with the sliders on the daslight program, under the live tab, it's responding to what i'm asking it to do, (this stuff is soo cool!) so i'm definitely getting somewhere, up next, see if i can get it programmed, then for getting it programmed to music, but that will come later, (is that even possible w/ this software?) Unfortunately a large part of what is writtten in the manuals, and what you are saying is a bit over my head, (i have tried to read them) i'm sure it's second nature to you but i'm a little lost, (Patches, addresses, and such). I'll get it in time, but I only learned what a gobo was a few hours ago, and i was needing some kind of results. I was hired the other day for my expertise with general computer technology, but almost entirely on the bar owners recommendation, and i believe my boss was beginning to lose faith in me cause i couldn't get this thing to even turn off and on. he's invested a good bit of money in me (plane ticket to england for a month, and passport) he will be thrilled in the morning when he sees the progress I've made, i had told him i knew nothing about this stuff, but still, i think he was about to ask me how many of me it was gonna take to unscrew this light bulb lol, who knew there was so much to switching a light. if anyone has any windows questions i would be thrilled to help out with that stuff any way i can, please feel free to hit me up, thanks again so very much.

When you are actually running your system, will there be dimmer racks involved or is it all movers? As to the address issue, remember a DMX universe is 512 unigue addresses. As you add dimmers or more movers they all need their own address. It seems your light is either 6 or 7 addresses long, so as you add lights the next would start at eight and go to 15. If you are going to use dimmers, make them start at 1 and go through however many dimmers you have, then pick up your movers accordingly. Look on Doug Fleener's site and read his DMX Primer to help you.
Editted to add the link:
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/22657-dmx.html
Look at post 5 for the Fleener links.

When you are actually running your system, will there be dimmer racks involved or is it all movers? As to the address issue, remember a DMX universe is 512 unigue addresses. As you add dimmers or more movers they all need their own address. It seems your light is either 6 or 7 addresses long, so as you add lights the next would start at eight and go to 15. If you are going to use dimmers, make them start at 1 and go through however many dimmers you have, then pick up your movers accordingly. Look on Doug Fleener's site and read his DMX Primer to help you.
Editted to add the link:
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/22657-dmx.html
Look at post 5 for the Fleener links.

I'm goign to have to mirror Mstaylors suggestion, anything from Doug Fleener is going to greatly improve your knowledge, as far as some more basic knowledge you can also look around the forums using the search function. Fortunately Derek has been busy with the wiki and you could spend all day reading the different posts in the wiki.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back