Control/Dimming Simplest DMX controller with individually assignable channels

then3rdman

So this is a very particular request. I am looking for a super basic DMX controller, no more then 6 or channels with only fader control, no scenes, presets or chases. Doesn't even need a master. As basic as it gets. However, I need to be able to individually address each channel.

So something like the picture, but that I have control over addressing. I have found similar controls that would enable me to change the starting address but i need individual control. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
proxy.php

The most inexpensive controller you'll find that will let you set each fader to an individual address would be an NSI/Leviton N1000, but that has the addressing keypad as well. You'd throw it in Submaster mode and record those channels you want as submasters to have non-consecutive addresses next to each other. If you leave it in Submaster mode you'll be fine - each fader will be the channel you want it to be. It's more than you need, but it's the cheapest thing that I can come up with that'd get the job done.

If you need something very specific like this and it needs to not have the button/scene interface at all, then it will cost significantly more and you should probably get Fleenor to custom-make something for you.

Thanks for the reply. Yeh I am thinking I might just end up building something my self. Was looking for the quick and easy solution. It not worth spending over $100. Thanks anyways!

... It's more than you need, but it's the cheapest thing that I can come up with that'd get the job done.

If you need something very specific like this and it needs to not have the button/scene interface at all, then it will cost significantly more and you should probably get Fleenor to custom-make something for you.
I don't know about price, but Baxter's Pocket Console.

Yeh looks like that's the plan. Will put one together and likely share it on here, in case anyone else is interested. Thanks for the help!

Quick question- What is this for? Since you want to be able to set the addresses, it sounds like you are controlling a much bigger system but only want to run certain channels. As a reminder, with DMX you cannot have two channel sources without using a multiplexer to merge the signals. ($$$) So, if you are looking (for example) at a remote override to control something like houselights, this would not work.

Just playing around with ideas for a club install. Original idea was to have the option of a very simple way for staff to turn on a few channels. So the main desk wouldn't be connected when there was no house tech in the venue. Though the idea of the controller and merger built into a unit seems like something fun and worth doing.

Analog inputs to the console are intended for just that sort of purpose. If you have that you can knock together some buttons or even just toggle switches and be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back