So I have this idea...

Swingaxle

I have been reading a bit about the issues with LED ellipsoidals and I have been toying with a solution. I just want to throw this out there and get some feedback before I do anything like pay thousands of dollars for the patent. That being said, I have drawn up a brief and some descriptions and mailed them to myself, just in case.

The dimming system would be something completely new, and would require a new installation, but would have the advantage of being incredibly cheap to operate, and provide unlimited color mixing to literally any fixture plugged into the system. It would also not take up any more rack space than a traditional dimming cabinet. Any current lighting unit could be retrofit with a new lamp cap and be connected, without any additional control cable, and actually, without any electricity to the instrument itself.

There would be two varieties of dimmer racks, one that would be more expensive initially, but be cheaper to operate; and one that would save some of the initial cost, but use far more electricity. I will describe the first version first.

The heart of this new system would be a new sort of dimming module. This unit would be roughly the size of a classic CD-80 module. It would consist of multiple, high powered LED's, a focusing lens, an electronic dimmer, and a fiber optic connector. The LED's would generate the light, and desired color, and it would be focused into the fiber optic line. Obviously, this means that there if this were a retrofit to an existing theatre, one would need to pull all of the existing copper from the system.

The electrical system would be replaced with 3/8" thick or so fiber optic cables. These would do a lot of the work to direct the non-directional light from the LED's and eliminate the problem of having to find a way to use an array of LED's within the fixture. At the instrument end, you would fit a modified lamp cap. This would take the stream of light from the fiber optic line, and, using a spherical piece of glass or plastic, spread the light around the reflector in the instrument much in the same way that a point source lamp does now. The would allow you to keep your existing inventory, and purchase standard fixtures. Seeing as the gap in price between copper and fiber optic cable is closing, this could be financially viable. Fiber optic cable is also lighter than copper, which is always a plus.

No more lamps to buy, cheaper operating cost, and unlimited color mixing on any fixture. The only hassle on a new installation would be having to purchase a more expensive lighting console to handle all of the control channels. In addition, because LED's don't use as much power, you could run a 96 dimmer rack of of a 100 amp 220v line, instead of a 400 amp three phase supply.

I will describe the second version of the system if anybody cares to hear it, and if anybody thinks this might be viable. Let me know. Thanks for listening!

the large fiber is far too expensive compared to copper building wire, and the loss in the fiber is too high. You would never get enough light out of it. Also, couldnt be retrofitted into existing conduits due to bending radius of the large fiber.

Interesting idea though. I saw someone attempt it many years ago, except with metal halide lamps as the light source. These were mounted in drawers in a rack, with lumenyte fiber going from these modules to 'output heads' (for lack of a better term) located throughout the building.

Another issue is the large plastic fiber degrades with time, I think it has a 10 year or so lifespan.

Perhaps a configuration like the ETC smart bar would be viable to eliminate some of the degradation? It would also eliminate some of the cost of the long fiber optic runs. All you would need would be a standard 20amp circuit and a DMX/Ethernet cable to connect? It would still require data to every station which eliminates some of the beauty of the system... I'll have to think on this

The other thing is.. what do I do when I need to import twenty circuits to front of house from my stage? What does a cable look like for this system? How do you two-fer (or can you)?

What is the advantage of a centralized rack over putting the LED's right into the light?

Also, 3/8" I don't think exists in the quality that single mode or multimode fiber works at. Single mode fiber is freakishly expensive and even more expensive to terminate. The reason it works so well and travels so far (30 miles or so) is that the light has only one path to travel. Multi-mode fiber allows for many paths for the light to travel and therefore can only travel about a 1/3 of single mode. The amount of light loss goes up with the bigger the fiber. Yes, fiber is getting cheaper... but the quality of the fiber and the size would make this project very expensive very quickly.

Cool concept... might be better served for architectural installs that need to face the elements where a traditional light would be expensive to place such as on the side of buildings and other hard to maintenance places.

Just be aware the old I mailed it to me self so I am protected is totally a fabridatiion and utterly useless for protection. The Patent office in the US now has a simple preliminary system which you can use, costs about 2 grand and give you I year to file for a full patent. Once an idea has been made public unless it has has had a patent application filed, it looses the ability to patent it. You might find someone who will take you money and file it for you, and it might get thru the system, but if it is a success and someone was able to prove for instance that you presented it here, you would have a non defensible patent .

Back to your idea, I think you would be better to have something that fit into fixtures and converted them or was close to the fixture. Using Fiber to transmit a Laser light source has been effective but expensive

Sharyn

just to add to Sharynf's post above. The U.S. paptent system is first to patent not first to invent. So if you truly have a great idea you need to at least do the preliminary filing. Also once you have a patent you also get the joys of the patent maintenance fees through the lifetime. You shpould also be aware that a U.S. patent protects you only in the U.S. It does not stop someone making the stuff in another country and selling it everywhere except the U.S. - to avoid this you have to decide in which other countries you want to obtain a patent.

I had the pleasure of handling a patent portfolio and developing an intellectual property strategy of over one hundred patents for a few years it is a real eye opener especially when you get into the area of infringement.

Good luck with it.

Patents are fun fun fun,
Here is a link with information re foreign patents

As mentioned or implied above, a patent really is only as good as your willingness to defend it ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

In a similar vein as the above, sometimes the real value of a patent or a patent portfolio is the ability to negotiate cross patent licensing agreements, where you have something to trade

Sorry to Hi-Jack the thread so to speak

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back