Spending personal money on shows

For those who bring their tools to and fro everyday, how much does your toolbox weigh? Mine weighs ~35 lbs. So when I leave mine at school it is looked in an office inside the scene shop which is locked with a separate key and I usually put a lock on the box.

My toolbox is on the back of my truck, so it's easy to take them home at night. :)
As a high school teacher, there are times when I need something now and there's just no time to do a PO. These days, if the PO isn't requested before buying the item, you pay for it. So I end up buying a few gallons of paint and assorted hardware items over the course of the year. I just take the standard teacher "out of pocket" deduction on my taxes and I think it comes out about right. I'd rather spend my money and make the show what I want it to be. I guess if I didn't really love what I do, it might be different...

If I was flat out buying and could keep everything, I could envision myself dropping a hundred or less on a show. I very much want a small personal inventory, some MR-16s, a reasonable gel collection, gobos, maybe even a few PARs and Source 4s and cable and such, but only if I know I'll use whatever I buy often in my professional life. Never spend your own money on renting, you'll get nothing but memories out of that, and memories don't pay the rent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back