Spotlight operator resource for newbies

Short and sweet.
Does anyone have a written resource that I can download or print that I can hand to a student and say. "read this. It will tell you everything you need to know about what I expect from my spot light ops".
I have two very green middle school students coming in to run spot for a HS show...I dont have time to babysit and I need them to be self starters so...
Anyone have anything so that I dont have to waist time writing it???
LOL
Thanks

Well, asking for a handout to give to unexperienced people that are going to be doing a job for you that, by it's nature is direction based sounds a bit unrealistic to me. you will always have to work with your operators. now, maybe these tips will help. (geared toward unfamiliar techs...)
1. make sure you give your operators a quick rundown on the gear they are operating. all followspots have a few things in common, douser, iris, color changing, etc. make sure they know where they are and can use them.
2. make sure they know where the on/off button is. this sounds dumb but in the dark...
3. read the list on the previous post.
4. make sure your operators will understand your cues/needs. if they don't know what a half body size means or don't understand how you (or whoever may give them whatever amount of cues they have) communicate, they won't be able to perform.
5. TELL them what you expect. how timing should be counted (not kidding here), what sizes mean to you (and therefore them), and anything else you want to impart. make sure you tell them how cues will be called (standy, ready, go...etc) they will not be mind readers at this stage of their experience.
6. get them stools to sit on. just a bit of comfort will keep antsy operators in position and watching the show or the next cue...
7. there are tons of things to say about a fairly simple kind of gig, but there isn't time.

Expecting an adult to walk up to an unfamilar piece of equipment and use it from a handout is unrealistic. Asking a middle school kid to do it is crazy. Now with a hands on lesson or two from you and a list of dos and don'ts they should not need babysitting. Explaning what size hits are the default, keep the headset mic off unless there is a question and whether you fades or bumps should cover it.

Just a suggestion once you get through the basics of followspot operation MARK your followspot(s) so the operation is consistent. Take 20 minutes with both (i assume number here) operators at their lights. Set intensity positions with douser 1/4 intensity 1/2 intensity 3/4 intensity to your liking. Do this in real time and mark these positions on the spot however is easiest for the operators to reference them quickly (i use small spike tape flags so you can feel them in the dark). Do the same for the iris head shot, head and shoulders, half body, full body, etc. This will help you operators stay consistent once you get into rehearsing/running the show.

I just finished a show where i needed to train two new spot ops in the same way you need to. It took me two weeks to get them to the level i expected from them and i would still like them to be far better than they were.

What I do that really helps is spend 10-15 min training with them before or after rehearsal. I do it before rehearsal while the actors are getting ready. Some simple things are just having a few people on stage walking around, jumping and doing zig zag patterns so they can learn to anticipate movements. Another game is finding a small box, and then having the operator yell "pull," throw the box from offstage at different heights and different angles so they can practice following and pick ups.
After those games are played, I get all my spots on a headset and practice turning on and off together and on different cues. I keep it simple with a "3, 2, 1, GO" countdown making sure that you say it evenly and you don't pause after "one."
Its how I was taught how to spot (in middle school) and how I have been teaching the techies that come up to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back